Season 7, Episode 9: "Elseworlds, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by NotNickFury, Dec 7, 2018.

?

Rate the Episode

Poll closed Dec 17, 2018.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. 8

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  9. 9

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. 10

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Mister J Ya Get What Ya ****ing Deserve!

She was eating her words. I didn't really have an idea of what her voice would/should be, but it ain't that.

Lencho01 likes this.
  2. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I feel the same. This crossover has further fleshed out elements and histories outside of Earth-1. It's been a wild ride so far. I can't wait for tomorrow night.

3. samsnee Ok

Yes! The delivery was so wooden. Didn’t expect her to crack jokes or do a growl but just didn’t have any gravitas to it. I know she’s not the greatest actress but hopefully she improves by the time her show premieres.

KevTravels likes this.
  4. KevTravels Registered

She's going to need a strong supporting cast to boost her stiffness. She'll improve over time though.

5. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I now understand why they didn't have her talk in John Wick. I mean holy ****, is she awful. :lmao:

Snow Queen likes this.
  6. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Wait, it gets worse!? :eek:

Snow Queen likes this.
  7. Astro13Zombie Registered

It does :funny:

8. Frodo Registered

Yeah. I don't think they quite know how or if to distinguish the two persona's. I mean, there really isn't a template as far as live action portrayals of Batwoman to go by given that Ruby is the first actress to ever play the part in live action.

I know very little about Batwoman as a character so I can't say if her persona is consistent with the comics. Her version of Kat Kane though does seem to have a personality and they seem to have an idea of who that persona is.

I wouldn't be surprised if her character is a bit different by the time she gets her own show . Hopefully by then they'll have a better idea of where to take her character.

9. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    I didn't really have much in the way of expectations for Ruby Rose...and yet somehow, I find myself surprised at how bad she was. It's really evident in her scenes against Benoist. I actually enjoy the bits of this crossover that are about the main three because despite finding Oliver rather bland, the other two actors seem like a lot of fun. But the second she shows up...yeesh.

Dark Raven and DarthSkywalker like this.
  10. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

She is simply a bad actress. Her acting didn't really change between being in the suit and not. And I found it insanely hilarious how poor she was. When she tries to look hard, walking towards the suit, it's some of the worst acting I have seen on these shows. And these shows aren't exactly Mrs. Masiel. And the suit... good lord. The cowl and wig are straight up dollar store quality. Nothing about the writing or acting invoked the character I know and love, and they couldn't have put me off a potential show more if they tried. The audition leak had a much better actress, even if the writing was just as poor.

As someone who out of the loop on these shows and currently catching up on Legends first, I will say I am enjoying watching the main trio together. They are really, really fun together. The quality of the episodes have been really poor imo, but they make it watchable. That being said, the ending and preview got me hyped. I am too much of a Supes fanboy to pass up on Superman vs. Superman.

Snow Queen likes this.
  11. Astro13Zombie Registered

Oh my god.
    I almost had to look away.
    I would have if it went on even a second longer.:funny:

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  12. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I have bronchitis at the moment. My cough is horrible, and laughing just makes it worse. That scene nearly killed me. :funny:

13. Nathan Registered

I didn't mind Ruby Rose as Kate Kane/Batwoman. The only thing that was kind of funny, was her tough walk toward the suit. Wish we could have seen her a bit more in action.

14. Legendver2 Smokin' Sexy Style!

It's kinda surprising they fixed the Olicity drama in the middle of a crossover lol.

And we get to see what appears to be Justice Lord Superman tomorrow.

15. Polux Just some nut

Elseworld episode 2, lots to enjoy.

Sadly, these 2 episodes pointed out to what I personally consider to be a problem with the Arrowverse; the supporting characters in every show are what bring them down. When you have Barry, Oliver and Kara together, they play each other beautifully (specially Oliver and Barry)!! Like, I would love it if they "fused" the shows and we had like a Justice League show with Barry, Ollie, Kara, etc (although the action would suffer even more from having all of these super powered characters on a CW budget), but them being together definitely brings out the best in all of them, in a way that their respective supporting characters don't.

Ruby Rose as Batwoman....mmm...ok I guess, I wasn't impressed and I wasn't bothered, I guess I was just indifferent to her (except for her walk towards the suit, which was the very definition of "trying too hard"); I find it really funny when they write it so we should be impressed by something lame by making the characters be blown away by it (i.e: Barry's new suit, Batwoman being such a "badass") when in reality is simply not that impressive and you end up like "Really??". Such a cheap trick that rarely - if ever - works.

I really liked the ending and I wonder what kinda craziness we'll have in the next one.

16. m1ll3r Failed experiment

Of course, the most important thing to take away from this episode is that Batman exists on both Earth 1 and 38.

...which probably means he exists in every single universe of the multiverse.

This is only right and proper.

Also, are they actually going to attempt COIE? And if so, surely they’ll need a Batman for that?

And I’m surprised they leaned in so hard on the Batman mythos. Surprised, and very pleased!

WhoMani, danlav05 and Nathan like this.
  17. samsnee Ok

Didn’t they get get married in the last crossover?

18. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

ok, so I'm new to the arrow verse & crossovers etc...
    When was the 1st crossover?

19. NotNickFury Registered

I guess technically the first crossover could be Barry Allen's first appearance on Arrow and setting up the particle accelerator accident, but as far as once that show was established, I think the first actual crossover of this universe is "Flash vs. Arrow."

AverageMan likes this.
  20. WhoMani Registered

Ruby Rose didn't really impress me and I thought she was just okay as Kate Kane/Batwoman. Then again Stephen Amell didn't impress me at the beginning of Arrow season one and it was really towards the end of Arrow S1 where Stephen Amell finally settled in the role for me. So I hope Ruby Rose gets better in the role if Batwoman gets a full season. Another problem I had with Batwoman is that I felt that writers (or the director) were more interested in trying to make her look cool than writing a compelling character. The positives is that I liked the costume, I love the look of Gotham so I hope they continue to use Chicago for it and I enjoyed Kate Kane rapport with Kara. I will still check out the Batwoman tv show though.

I still like this episode but I found it to be a step down for me. The Olicity drama kinda dragged this episode down a bit for me. But I'm loving the trio of Oliver, Kara and Barry. I feel that Barry and Kara bring out the best in Oliver, in fact he's a lot more relaxed when he's around them. It was cool seeing the 90's Flash again but unfortunately he was only used to do explain what's happening and that's about it. Hopefully we see the 90's Flash in the next part of this crossover.

The Monitor looks awesome and I had a feeling that he was doing this to test the heroes. So basically the next the crossover event will most likely be Crisis on Infinite Earths. I wonder how the show will depict the Anti-Monitor and will all the Earths in the Multiverse combine into one Earth when the Crisis event is concluded?

#145 WhoMani, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  21. Dr. Unknown Toronto member

I thought Batwoman’s appearances were adequate-to-good. And let’s face it: costume, action and stunts do most of the work anyway. :word: I was also okay with Batwoman’s line delivery. Indeed, none of her scenes were especially dramatic or emotive (along the lines of, say, Batman interrogating the Joker in TDK). So in normal interactions, I’d actually expect an enigmatically cool superhero to speak in cool monotone (perfect cover for an actor with limited experience :cwink:). Whereas, I thought Rose as Kate Kane was the weaker performance.

And I agree that Kane’s “heroic” elevator ride and Batsuit reveal didn’t quite work. But according to @flickchick85, this might be more the fault of the director than Rose. Apparently, Bamford doesn’t do iconic superhero imagery very well. (For instance, Kara’s “shirt rip” scene was, likewise, shot rather poorly.) Had Rose merely effected a neutral, blank expression for the elevator scene, it would have been fine enough. Instead, she was instructed (one assumes) to look “serious” or “fierce” or some such - which she didn’t/couldn’t pull off.

Given that this episode was a kind of “audition” for a Batwoman series, and given that Batwoman is a mortal action hero (analogous to GA - not Flash or Supergirl), it makes a lot of sense that an action/stunt guy like Bamford would be tapped as director. OTOH, maybe what Batwoman/Rose really needed was an actor’s director.

WhoMani likes this.
  22. NotNickFury Registered

I mean, is that really a fair comparison?

23. shabadoo25 Registered

Can someone detail to me what happened after Kara comments that Bruce Wayne and Batman disappeared at the same time? My local CW threw in a local commercial right then and didn't return until the Felicity/Caitlin scene.

I am usually bad at noticing fan service details, but was the Bard statue that Kara handles in Kate's office a nod to the one in the 60s tv show that slid back the bookshelves to reveal the Bat Poles?

24. Polux Just some nut

This is a very fair observation. In this instances is very hard to tell if it was the actor's or the director's decision, since the director has the final say on what goes and what not, has the actual reference frame of how it looks "on screen" (which the actor while performing has not) and also the fact that in shows like this, where the actor has no time to prepare for a particular emotion, their reliant completely on the direction.

25. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Cheers. The only reason I ask is because this episode is officially called Elseworlds, Part 2. Wondering where Part 1 is?