Season 9 Episode 5 "What Comes After" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead' started by Man in the Suit, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

[​IMG]

Story by Scott M. Gimple & Matthew Negrete
    Teleplay by Matthew Negrete
    Directed by Greg Nicotero

2. KevTravels

KevTravels Registered

Here we go. And my laptop battery would have to die on such a day. Unfortunately, I might have to miss this episode today since I gotta work on the first draft of my term paper. I have a feeling this will among top 3 of Lincoln's performances on the show.

3. squeekness

squeekness The mighty squeek!

I hope so. Let him go out with a bang. :)

4. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

We call that actually going out with a bang.

Sasha is still an odd pick to show up, but maybe she was the only one available.

Oh, okay. So Rick lives and exits stage left just as we get the introduction of the new, badass characters. Gotta say, this was a solid episode, but from Jadis finding Rick to the end, I wasn't a fan.

#4 NotNickFury, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  5. Morg

Morg Super Moderator

was a bang but he didn't go out with it

6. Drizzle

Drizzle You have the little one.

Well....okay then.
    I'm sure they'll bring Rick back in the series finale or something but this was a weird way to go about it.
    This also felt like a midseason finale, and given the ending it's surprising that it wasn't.

7. squeekness

Negan is a survivor.

He totally played Maggie. I didn't believe his act for a second.

On the other hand the promos going forward looked more interesting than I thought they would.

8. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

It would be weird if Rick returned to the series after AMC heavily kept promoting this as "Rick Grimes' Final Episodes." They could have him come back, but it'd be an even bigger slap in the face than Glenn's dumpster survival, even though that one's just the show trying and failing at being clever.

9. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

I... I don't know how to feel...

Kind of a weird way to end Rick's story on the show... but I love Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes so I'm okay with him living on in movies. It was great seeing Shane and Hershel again, but the Sasha part was weird. He only talked to her a few times throughout the show. No Lori, The Governor, or even T-Dog or Andrea? Okay..

Also still sounds like Mark Hamill on the walkie-talkie.

The preview for the next few episodes looks interesting and very good.

#9 Man in the Suit, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  10. TheFuture

TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

I'm OK with that tbh.

Watching Rick Grimes die would have been a step too far for me.

I imagine this time jump will mean Maggie is already gone and the show will (slowly of course) track back to show us what happened.

Wouldn't be surprised if Negan is out either and de facto leading Judith and any old characters still alive.

11. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Registered

I'm guessing you didn't watch the preview for the next few episodes that aired right after the episode?

I'm going to dispense with the spoiler tag since anyone who hasn't seen the episode shouldn't be browsing this thread.

While I'm glad Rick is alive, it would have been so much braver if they had just killed him off altogether. It was still a bad s#it crazy episode.

Also, I think Negan's breakdown happened too early, particularly since he'll still be in prison for another five or six years.

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Registered

I'm about 99% certain it wasn't an act. It would make the scene pointless if it were. Plus, why wouldn't he take the chance to get out? He might be weak, but he could still over power her.

13. squeekness

I don't think it would have been pointless, it would continue this idea that (to me) he shows a different face to whoever is confronting him at the time. He's a sly manipulator. Just my thinking. :)

14. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Registered

But that's the thing. He's not a sly manipulator. He's an honest character who has always been upfront with his motivations.

Nah, he's being genuine in that scene. If he weren't, the writers (knowing this show) would have made it much more obvious that it was an act, but there's no reason to think he's not being sincere. Him pretending to be broken wouldn't have accomplished anything since he's still in jail at the end of the day. Plus, the scene was consistent with what we've seen of him so far this season. Remember when we last saw him, he was beating his head repeatedly against the wall. He's not really showing a "different face" to them at all.

15. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I am glad they kept Rick alive, and I enjoyed the episode but at the same time something just felt a bit off, it's still missing some of that old magic. But it was great to see Shane and Hershel again.

16. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Ok so this is Ricks last episode...but also Maggies...they made Maggies last episode..Ricks last episode? Dumb

17. Erik20

Erik20 Registered

Hey guys, new here. So I have to say, while I liked the episode, I kinda hated knowing this was going to be Rick's last episode going in. I dislike spoilers in general, but it was almost impossible to avoid his exit since they were actually advertising it everywhere as his final moments on the show. It would probably have way more impact on me if I didn't know anything about the actor leaving beforehand.

*Spoilers coming up, I know the episode already aired but just in case people haven't watched it yet...

I'm glad Rick didn't die. It would be pretty lame if basically just falling off a horse is what kills him after all these years. That would've been almost worse than what they did with Madison in FTWD. I was a bit worried that was actually going to happen, since they teased it so much. I know some people consider it another cop out/fake out like Glenn and the dumpster, but I didn't really mind it in this episode, it kept me on edge. (Cause I didn't want Rick to go out like that)

Also, I think I would've preffered an all grown up/older Carl in that last shot. It could've been pretty cool to see what he turned into without his dad being there. (But they messed that up with his death unfortunately) I'm still curious to find out what the show will be without Rick so I'll keep watching

18. nightwing06

nightwing06 Registered

I enjoyed some of the scenes from the episode but Im done !! Im sure i will see highlights across the internet from future episodes and movies(?) but they pulled a semi Modern Family ruse I know some people are excited about whats to come but this was a big time cop out IMO

19. thalidomide

thalidomide The Enemy

What the hell?

I agree.... dumb.

20. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

The ending felt like a cop out after that build up.

21. tzarinna

tzarinna Mamochka

I knew I was going to tear up, but it was more for Hershel's appearance and Daryl tearing up.

22. Golgo-13

Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

Judith, Judith Grimes...