Season 9 Episode 8 "Evolution" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead' started by Man in the Suit, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

Written by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick
    Directed by Michael E. Satrazemis

2. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

Bold move there, killing off Jesus. They're really distinguishing the show from the comic book at this point, what with how Rick is gone, and Carl and Jesus are dead, while all three are alive and well in the comic now, for example. But very atmospheric episode. The storm setting definitely helped.

3. squeekness

squeekness The mighty squeek!

They are doing a fine job of killing off people I care about. Not sure why I even watch this show half the time. :(

4. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

The ending was great. So atmospheric. Season 9 is becoming one of my favorites.

5. squeekness

Yes, the atmosphere was very well done. I'm just bummed about losing another favorite. :argh:

6. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

Seems Tom Payne had hoped that Jesus would get some of his awesome comic moments, but that never came to pass. And really, I can see his frustration. And as an ongoing reader of The Walking Dead comic, as much as I like Tom Payne, I can say that much like Negan, the Jesus on the show differs from his comic counterpart.

'Walking Dead' Star Gets Candid About His Exit: "It Was Constant Frustration"

7. ironman_rick

ironman_rick Registered

This should have killed father gabriel and eugene (both are irritating and foolish chracters...it beggers belief that they have survived this long) instead of jesus.

8. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

You had one job, Gabriel.

9. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

With the Whisperers here, if the show does follow the comic route for his character, I feel like Gabriel's time may be coming soon.

10. squeekness

Yes, but was it on purpose? The thought crossed my mind that it wasn't an accident.

11. Spikey

Spikey Registered

Funny thing, in latin america the episode is called "Whispers"

12. Erik20

Erik20 Registered

Yeah I get why he wasn't happy with the show. Even after all these years I still didn't really know a lot about Jesus, and it never felt like he was part of the main group. He would just show up every now and then...

I liked the character but I wasn't really shocked or upset when he died, they just didn't give me enough to make me care about him

13. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Seriously killing Jesus? And Rosita, Eugene and the other randoms are still around... I stopped caring about the show a long time ago, but I was interested to see more from Aaron/Jesus and that Jesus is one of the few characters left other than Daryl/Michonne/Carol. This show...

14. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

That's because Rosita and Eugene are better characters. Jesus could've been great, but Gimple didn't do anything with him. His character was all over the place in Season 8 when Gimple chose him to be "All Life Is Precious" when Morgan started to CLEAR again. And when he wasn't doing that, he was "Maggie, Maggie, Maggie" all the time. Along with Tom Payne being unhappy, I can see why Kang chose Jesus over the others to show how the Whisperers are a threat.

15. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Registered

I was never a fan of the character, or actor, so his death was nothing more than a cool moment to me. Plus, they didn't really sell his death, either. He's stabbed, then hits the ground, looking peaceful. With this show's recent shenanigans, I assumed he would open his eyes and be alive, at least long enough to say some parting words.

The thing is, though, is Jesus could have been salvaged if the writers really wanted to.

16. tzarinna

tzarinna Mamochka

Right, he seem to really unravel from the news of Rosita. I wonder how long they've been an item? I guess with Negan out of the cage he no longer needs to stick around and watch over him, what a price to pay for everyone else, damn.

17. Drizzle

Drizzle You have the little one.

Eugene did have some character development but Rosita is more or less just as uninteresting as Jesus was. They're basically just eye candy.