Iron Fist Season Two, Episode 1 "The Fury of Iron Fist"

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
No one started a thread yet, so I'm going to go ahead and do one for each thread.

Use Spoiler Tags for any discussion beyond this episode

f41f5ece152fed34da22.jpg

While rival gangs battle for the soul of New York, Danny and Colleen cross paths with an old acquaintance. Joy embarks on a new adventure.

This episode definitely has a strong Chinatown feel to it. It starts clearly inside Chinatown, it centers on a gang war with the Triads, and they eat a lot of Chinese food. Speaking of, Danny came home with Chinese food well past midnight and then they have sex and go to bed. Were they not going to eat it? On the gangwar side of things, I love that they're referencing the Golden Tigers who are an Iron Fist villain. They are often led by Master Khan, who I doubt we'll see.

The Meachum stuff is where the episode dragged a bit. That being said, I think it served a useful message. They were talking about putting the past behind them and needed the corporate stuff to go away for that. On the other hand, the Davos stuff was compelling last season and continues to be compelling. This is one area that I think is stronger than the comics version because Davos's rivalry with Danny is stronger than if it were by proxy from a rivalry with Wendell.

The intro to Mary was short, but I love the post-it thing. In the Typhoid miniseries by Ann Nocenti, Mary would communicate between various personalities by leaving post-it notes. I wonder if that's a reference to that.

Four Stars. Maybe not as much an improvement as I will hope to see, but it lays a strong foundation to build upon. BTW, was the text in the title credits green last season? I remembered thinking that there should be some green and now I'm noticing it.

It was certainly a better start than last season but they couldn't keep the momentum up. They started having board meetings again. The Meachum stuff is really dull. Why even bother with all of that stuff?

At least there's more fighting in the episode. But Davros should really have gotten into a fight at that warehouse early in the episode. It should be like these Kung Fu movies where there's any excuse for a fight.

Good to see Colleen getting in on the action.

Why does that poster still have Danny with that silly curly haircut though?

I think the poster is from Season One. I pulled the images from IMDB, but episodes one and two had the same image, so I went with something that represents the show as a whole. I still think it's a cool image.

Okay... This was by any measure and improvement, not only on IF seson one but it was paced better than all of Luke Cage season two... But that's damning with faint praise. Writing and dialog for Danny is better sure, but there's still lots of head scratchers... Also some good stuff too.

Danny as a furniture mover? DUMB. So dumb. So very, very dumb. Yeah, I get it that we all complained about the slow pace of the corporate control story from last season but now it's like... Well he's a billionaire. Do something with that. Nope... Somehow he's able to, after making a HUGE splash in the tabloids to live in one of the media capitals of the world as guy that moves furniture... And he's able to take time out to meet Meachum for secret meetings. So much more could be done but this is the set up they chose.

Joy's turn still makes no sense and her alliance with Davos still hasn't been fleshed out.

I honestly didn't even know Typhoid Mary was going to be in this and now that I do... I have no idea why? Is she supposed to have been a killer for hire going after Danny? Or is it literally just that she's a rando crazy person that Danny runs into? If it's the latter... That feels really tacked on.

I like the sort of domestic bliss angle with Danny and Colleen even if I'm still very disappointed that they changed the romantic interests from the books, and not just lightly. Colleen in this version isn't just a good friend, we're into "We gonna get married" territory here. Still... It's not badly done.

All in all the fight coordination isn't bad and the SFX are good and the end shot showing something going on inside Danny holds promise but... Over all while it wasn't bad, it also wasn't great either. Baby steps though I suppose.

I thought it was an ok start.

The stuff with Joy is still “Huh?” for me. But I don’t think there’s any way around that after the silly set up of it from last season.

At the moment, I don’t have much interest in Colleen’s mystery with that box.

I was expecting Davos to have a longer fight scene with the Hatchet dudes. Also expected him to reveal some powers while with Danny.

I was actually thinking Typhoid Mary was working for some when she took that pic with Danny. Anyway, not sure how she’ll tie into things. Maybe randomly with no connection to anyone.

I was expecting Danny to show some kind of power upgrade at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"