Series Finale - My Take

Thought I'd bump this :)

For those who have never read it, this is my take on a 2-hour Smallville series finale.
Basically, I just adapted Birthright and molded it to the SV universe. I bumped it because I was thinking about continuing it. Keep in mind, I wrote this before the Season 4 Finale, so a lot of the things and events don't jive with where SV has gone in the last year. Still, a lot of it works. If I continue it, it'll definitely need some revisions. Maybe some of you can offer feedback. Thanks for reading.

“BIRTHRIGHT”

TEASER

FADE IN:

WHITE TITLE ON BLACK: Three years later…

EXT. A DUSTY TOWN SQUARE — DAY

The words dissolve to reveal a hot African sun beaming down onto a SMALL RALLY of cheering people. On a small stage in front of the group stands a man older than his age would suggest. His charisma shines through a pair of small glasses as beads of sweat drip down his brown skin.

He is KOBE ASURU, leader of a small democracy movement in the WEST AFRICA.

KOBE
We GHURI have long been subservient to the neighboring TURAABA Tribe. Thus, we have raised a generation of children who spend their days steeped in Turaaba culture while their own is marginalized.

The crowd is transfixed on every word.

KOBE
That is what we must change… WILL change! When we lose pride in ourselves, we lose ourselves.

The audience cheers loudly. Kobe beams from the stage. At that moment, gunshots ring out. The crowd disperses and scatters as panic sets in. Another gunshot.

As the bullet screams toward Kobe, we see the leader as he realizes his fate is upon him. His wide eyes close but a RED & YELLOW BLUR races into frame faster than the speeding bullet.

BLUR (O.S.)
Get down!!!

Kobe is knocked to the ground, unscathed as a small car screeches away. The blur is REVEALED as a dark-haired young man, his back still to the camera, he holds Kobe’s head, checking to see if he’s okay.

KOBE POV: The bright sun obscures the mysterious man’s face.

MAN
Mr. Kobe Asuru?

KOBE
(stammering)
I — I am… But who are—?

MAN
Later. I need to follow that car!

Asuru’s bodyguards surround the mysterious savior, guns drawn.

BODYGUARD
No! Move and we will shoot!

With his hands up, the figure turns around and the CAMERA REVEALS that

IT’S CLARK.

Looking much more mature and seasoned since last we saw him. Clark is without question a MAN. Confidence exudes from his being.

CLARK
(smiling)
That really won’t help anybody.

BODYGUARD
Who do you think you are?

CLARK
I’m Clark Kent. A friend.
(beat)
I’m here to help.

OFF this revelation…
FADE OUT.

END OF TEASER
ACT ONE

EXT. METROPOLIS — DAY — TO ESTABLISH

The city is a glowing beacon of perfection. Its glass and metal buildings sparkle like jewels in the day’s sunlight. Its largest gem is the…

LUTHORCORP BUILDING.

INT. LUTHORCORP OFFICE — DAY

The CAMERA PANS around the computer monitor on the desk to reveal the recently anointed KING OF METROPOLIS, LEX LUTHOR. He is intently reading something on the monitor. Something in his eyes tells us this is not the same benevolent Lex we’ve come to know in SMALLVILLE.

LEX’S POV: Through the giant glass doors comes a stunning young woman with golden hair cropped close to her face and a barely-there skirt that reveals legs that go on from May to December. She is holding a parcel the size of a large book.

WOMAN
Mr. Luthor. The package you’ve requested.

She tosses the parcel onto Lex’s desk.

LEX
Thank you. I believe you know the way out, MERCY.

CLOSE ON PARCEL: As Lex rips open the packaging, the parcel’s mysterious content is revealed as a metallic tablet. LEX SMILES as he fingers the delicately inscribed KRYPTONIAN SYMBOLS.

SMASH CUT TO:

INT. SMALL CAFÉ — WEST AFRICA — DAY

CLOSE ON TWO GLASSES CLINKING: Clark is sharing a drink with Kobe. As they toast to TRUTH and JUSTICE, a woman is eyeing the both of them closely.

CLARK
(raising his glass)
To the Ghuri Tribe.

KOBE
But not to TRIBALISM.

CLARK
Defined as? I didn’t think racial barriers existed here.

KOBE
They don’t; therefore, in the absence of racism, man — sadly — tends to find other ways to discriminate. Divisions are drawn; battles are fought…

CLARK
Is that what that shooting was about?

CUT TO:

The woman emerges from her corner booth. In a flowing dashiki, her dreaded locks of hair are wrapped tightly into a ceremonial head wrap. She is ABENA, Kobe’s sister.

ABENA
Probably. But the real threat is more insidious. In the end, who we are is all we are. Which begs the question, Mr. Kent… who exactly are you?

KOBE
HA! Abena, MANNERS!

CLARK
It’s okay. I don’t blame her for being suspicious.
(reassuring)
I’ve been traveling the world for the last three years. Freelancing for different newspapers on different continents. To be honest, this is my biggest assignment yet! The Ghana paper sent me here to profile Kobe, maybe investigate the rash of assassination attacks…

KOBE (smiling)
And dive in the path of bullets.

CLARK
It’s a living.

KOBE
That’s what the other one said. What was her name? Lois something…?

CLARK
LANE? LOIS LANE?

KOBE
As I recall. She too came through here last spring. Filing a story for the DAILY PLANET, I believe. Do you know her?

OFF Clark’s flustered look…

CUT TO:

EXT. TALON — NIGHT — TO ESTABLISH

The once bustling coffee house has now become a dusty house of memories…

LUTHORCORP LOGOS are visible emblazoned on the shop's boarded up windows.

Its marquee reads: “CLOSED FOR BUSINESS.”

INT. APARTMENT — TALON — NIGHT

The studio apartment above the coffee shop has not changed, save for a buildup of dust. Sheets are draped over the furniture. Boxes piled high against the walls. The doorknob rattles, and the door opens to reveal…

LANA LANG.

Lana has returned HOME, to SMALLVILLE. Venturing into the world to find her place, the prodigal daughter has returned to her roots. Finally, she has come to accept this strange leafy little hamlet as her home.

She approaches an open box filled with old photo frames and old friends. In one, Lana, CHLOE and LOIS are mugging for the camera.

Lana smiles.

In another, Clark has his arm around Lana. They are smiling, broadly.

LANA (whispering)
Clark… Whatever happened to you?

SMASH CUT TO:

EXT. WEST AFRICAN PLAIN — DAY

A low rumbling can be heard. In the distance, what looks to be a small dust storm swirls as a herd of zebras makes its way across the plains.

Above them…

CLARK KENT ZOOMS BY…

Hands out at his sides, he clearly revels in this liberating ability to be free of earthly constraints. His hair and the pockets on his red back pack flap in the wind.

A sense of peace and contentment is on his face.

He is enjoying this. With that, Clark angles his body past the camera, speeding toward his destination…

CUT TO:

EXT. CAPITAL STEPS — GHURI TRIBE RALLY — DAY

Where we find CLARK is now taking notes as KOBE delivers another emotional speech. At that moment, ABENA frantically makes her way through the crowd of reporters, looking for Clark.

CLARK (concerned)
Abena, what is it?

ABENA
CLARK! Clark, the village… They… They’re back!

CLARK
“They?” Abena, calm down. Who are you…

ABENA
It’s the Turaabans! They’re burning us to the ground!

CLOSE ON CLARK’S EYES: As Clark listens to Abena’s pleas, his eyes grow narrower, concentrating as he focuses his vision clear across town.

CLARK’S POV: THE CAMERA ZOOMS through trees and houses to reveal a group of militia men opening fire on women and children.

CLARK
(whispering)
Oh my god!

ABENA
We must tell Kobe!

Clark wraps his massive arms around the sobbing woman.

CLARK
(comforting)
No! That’s exactly what the Turaabans want: to send your brother running home. Abena, please. Let me handle it.

Clark drops his notepad and camera, and SUPERSPEEDS out of frame…

OFF Abena’s look of AWE…

CUT TO:

FIVE MEN in MILITIA GARB surround Kobe on the steps, guns drawn. The audience is murmuring…

SMASH CUT TO:

IN CLARK TIME: He races at full speed to the GHURI village. Clark’s face has never been so determined.

Once he arrives, he grabs a car full of militia men and in one motion, tosses it with ease.

The other soldiers begin turning their guns on Clark.

CLARK
(forcefully)
LEAVE! NOW!

SMASH CUT TO:

EXT. CAPITAL STEPS — GHURI TRIBE RALLY — DAY

Kobe is being hauled away in a throng of supporters, militiamen, and reporters. There is a lot of commotion.

CLOSE ON: A hand in the crowd reveals a small knife.

ASSASSIN
Senator Asuru…

CLOSE ON: Kobe’s frightened face.

ASSASSIN
…Shut up.

He lunges forward.

SMASH CUT TO:

EXT. GHURI VILLAGE — DAY

Clark, his shirt now ripped to shreds from thousands of bullets, scans the village.

CLARK
That’s the last of them.

The villagers, still in shock from witnessing Clark Kent’s SUPERHEROICS, talk amongst themselves.

Suddenly a scream is heard, though it is only audible to Clark’s ears.

CLARK
Oh, god. Kobe…

Clark superspeeds out of frame…
FADE OUT.

END OF ACT ONE

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. CORRIDOR — LUTHORCORP — NIGHT

From a LOW ANGLE, we follow Lex’s steps as he makes his way down a dark corridor deep within the bowels of LuthorCorp. He is heading for an illuminated doorway at the end of the hall.

He is carrying the KRYPTONIAN TABLET in his left hand.

CLOSE ON: Lex’s eyes as he is retina-scanned.

LEX
Luthor. Alexander.

LEX’S POV: The doors slide open dramatically. Inside, men and women in lab coats and gas masks work feverishly on mysterious experiments.

Lex makes his way toward one of the scientists. Though he wears a protective mask over his face, he seems particularly familiar.

LEX
It seems our hard work has come to an end…

He shows the tablet.

OFF Lex’s smugness, the scientist — eyes wide in amazement — lifts his mask to reveal…

He is DR. HAMILTON!

HAMILTON
(stammering)
Mr.… Mr. Luthor! We weren’t expecting you till Tuesday!

LEX
You can skip with the pleasantries Dr. Hamilton. What’s our status?

HAMILTON
We’ve just finished analyzing the last of the meteor rocks. And for your information, we have successfully and completely excavated all of the remaining meteors left in Smallville. Down to the last green pebble.

LEX
Have we finished decrypting the Swann files?

HAMILTON
Uh. We’re still working on that, sir.

LEX
It’s quite funny actually. Ever since my time in Smallville, I’ve been fanatically trying to solve the mysteries of that godforsaken hell hole. I now understand the purpose of my being there.
(beat)
We all have a destiny, Dr. Hamilton. Mine just happens to be greater than most. It was Nietzsche who said “the secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and greatest enjoyment is — to live dangerously.”

Lex flashes his trademark smirk.

LEX
You know what those fiery rocks rained down on Kansas twenty years ago? MY greatness.

HAMILTON
Lex, I don’t understand.

LEX
The answers we’ve been searching for have been right under our noses, Doctor.

OFF Hamilton’s shocked reaction as Lex drops the tablet at the scientist’s feet.
HAMILTON
Careful, Mr. Luthor!

LEX
I’ve already closely examined the alloy that makes up this miraculous piece of work. You may recognize its composition. There’s nothing on Earth like it.
(beat)
Well. Not nothing.

Lex punches a combination of keys on a nearby laptop computer.

LEX
There is only one other object that rivals the complexity of the tablet. You’ve seen it before.

He rotates the monitor toward the camera.

CLOSE ON: The screen displays a virtual OCTAGONAL KEY rotating endlessly.

The CAMERA PANS UP to a tight shot of Lex’s face.

CUT TO:

EXT. GRAVE SITE — GHURI VILLAGE — DAWN

A makeshift tombstone draped in flowers and ceremonial garb reads:

KOBE ASURU — A CHARGE TO KEEP

Clark and Abena stand above the stone. He is solemn.

CLARK
You’re not the first, Abena. You’re scared of me. Don’t worry. I won’t stay. I can only apologize. I should have stopped them.

ABENA
(solemn)
You had no choice, Clark. Even with your abilities. You chose to save OUR PEOPLE. This is what Kobe dedicated his life to. He will be remembered…

CLARK
And the world will be a better place for it.

The SUN begins to rise over the African plain. Clark is bathed in its yellow and orange wash. He is luminous.

ABENA
We will always be in your debt.

She looks up at Clark, in awe now as she sees a NEW CLARK.

ABENA
You have saved us.

OFF Clark's fierce look of determination, as realization sets in on his face. A new sense of purpose..

CUT TO:

EXT. BARN — KENT FARM — DAY

A familiar RED PICKUP TRUCK is parked in front of the farm’s barn. Barrels of hay fill the pickup’s bed to the brim. And JONATHAN KENT methodically lugs each barrel into the barn.

JONATHAN
(muttering)
Jonathan Kent, you’re getting a little long in the tooth for this…

OFF Jonathan’s strained expression, as we follow him from the truck to the barn. He is dripping with sweat in the hot, Kansas sun.

While Jonathan drops one of the hay barrels, a loud WHOOSH is heard. The CAMERA PANS BACK to the truck, which is now EMPTY! Not a hay barrel in sight!

JONATHAN
Clark?!

He looks around eagerly and a familiar voice drifts out from the barn.

CLARK
I also fixed the fence posts behind the house, and harvested the north forty.
(beat)
In case you were wondering.

OFF Clark’s beaming smile, father and son embrace warmly.

JONATHAN
It is good to see you, son.

CLARK
You too, Dad.

JONATHAN
When did you get back? Does your mother know you’re here?

CLARK
I just FLEW IN five minutes ago. But, you know, I had chores to take care of.

JONATHAN
I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that.

CLARK
What’s that?

JONATHAN
You. Flying.

CLARK
Well, Dad. You and Mom have always been able to keep my feet on the ground.

With that, Jonathan puts his arm around Clark. Though this is indeed a happy day on the Kent Farm, a hint of concern is flashed on Jonathan’s face as they make their way toward the house.

INT. KITCHEN — KENT FARM — DAY

MARTHA KENT is rifling through an old shoe box. Inside are photos of Clark’s travels, printouts of emails between mother and son, clippings from international newspapers, etc. Martha comes across a picture and stops.

She smiles.

CLOSE ON PHOTO: It’s a picture of Clark and Lana. Together. The tattered photo is a sign of happier times between the two estranged friends.

The door opens behind Martha.

MARTHA
(slightly jarred)
Jonathan?! Done so soon?

When she turns around, Clark Kent is framed inside the door.

MARTHA
(excited)
Clark! You’re back!

CLARK
It’s good to be back, Mom!

MARTHA
When did you —

JONATHAN
He FLEW in.

Clark flashes his father a look of exasperation.

CLARK
Dad, don’t worry. Nobody saw me.

JONATHAN
You know how sophisticated satellites are these days. I’m just concerned.

CLARK
Told you before, I can see the transmissions. All I have to do is weave between them.

Clark catches out of the corner of his eye the photo Martha was looking at earlier.

CLARK
So… Uh… How’s everything? I hear the Talon’s being reopened.

MARTHA
Clark, you don’t have to beat around the bush. No one’s heard anything since she left. Lana’s her own woman now.

CLARK
And Lex?

Jonathan and Martha give each other a knowing glance.

MARTHA
Lex hasn’t shown himself in Smallville. Not since the mansion burned down.

JONATHAN
Even a man like Lionel Luthor, as despicable as he was, didn’t deserve to die that way.

CLARK
Dad, there’s no proof Lex had anything to do with that.

LEX
Trust me. Lex is not the same person you knew in high school. He’s become his father in more ways than one.

MARTHA
There might be some truth to that.

CLARK
What do you mean?

MARTHA
Before he left town, LuthorCorp made a big deal about ridding Smallville of KRYPTONITE.

CLARK
(shocked)
What?!

JONATHAN
Lex claimed the meteor rocks were adversely contaminating the environment. The mayor and the town council went along with the plan. Personally, I think LuthorCorp is just covering up their own environmental record and shifting the blame onto the meteors.

MARTHA
Or worse. Lex could be COLLECTING Kryptonite.

CLARK
Why would he do something like that?

SMASH CUT TO:

INT. VAULT — LUTHORCORP BUILDING — NIGHT

The vault is glowing an eerie shade of GREEN as dozens of REFINED KRYPTONITE line its walls. Lex enters with his tablet.

In the middle of the vault is a highly advanced piece of machinery. A computer unlike any ever seen.

Lex places his tablet into a slot in this SUPER COMPUTER.

It’s liquid screen lights up, adding RED AND YELLOW hues to the green room. Lex smirks.

CLOSE ON COMPUTER SCREEN: A RED & YELLOW SHIELD with what looks like a stylized ‘S’ in its middle rotates endlessly on the screen…

FADE OUT.

END OF ACT TWO

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. SMALLVILLE HIGH — DAY — TO ESTABLISH

Life at the school is the same as ever. Students bustle back and forth between classes. The late August sun shines its light on the pristine campus.

CUT TO:

INT. HALLWAY — SMALLVILLE HIGH — DAY

LANA LANG makes her way through the throng of people. She smiles as new generations of CROWS pass by. Everything is oddly familiar, yet very different.

Lana passes by the school’s trophy case. Memories flood back like a Kansas rain. The case is stuffed with Lana’s years at the school.

A trophy bears the inscription “2004-05 KANSAS STATE CHAMPIONS.” Draped over like a cape is a red jersey emblazoned with a large yellow eight.

One photo stands out above all:

CLARK KENT perched high atop the shoulders of his loyal teammates.

OFF Lana smiling as someone approaches her from behind; his reflection visible in the case.

MAN (O.S.)
Ms. Lang?

Lana turns around to see Mr. Siegel, Smallville High’s newest principal.

SIEGEL
Welcome back to Smallville High! Please, let me show you to your students.

CUT TO:

INT. LOFT — KENT FARM — DAY
Martha and Jonathan make their way up the stairs as Clark is busily sketching onto a pad.

JONATHAN
You sounded so excited, son. What’s going on?

MARTHA
You’ve been holed up in here so long, we were beginning to get worried!

Clark looks up from his pad. Momentarily lost in thought.

JONATHAN
Well, what did you want to show us?

CLARK
When I was in high school, what was the biggest issue that affected my friends and family?

MARTHA
I don’t understand.

CLARK
Think about it. Ever since you found me, you and Dad were always dogged with the possibility of someone finding out about me. And keeping that secret — especially from the people I cared about — that was hard to do.

JONATHAN
I don’t know what you’re getting at, Clark. Secret or no secret, you’re the best thing that has ever happened to us.

CLARK
I know that Dad. It’s just that… Something happened when I was in Africa. Something awful. But for a moment, I got called upon to give MY ALL. I found my purpose
(beat)
and it felt AMAZING!

JONATHAN
(worried)
I know that look.

MARTHA
(to Jonathan)
He’s made up his mind about something.

(to Clark)
What are you trying to say?

CLARK
The reason I left Smallville was to figure out what my purpose on this planet was. I know you and Dad taught me to be a good person. And that’s the greatest gift you’ve ever given me. But I’ve always searched to find out who I really am. I now understand Jor-El’s reason for sending me to Earth. I know who I am. For the first time.

JONATHAN
(slightly agitated)
Jor-El? Clark, you are OUR son.

CLARK
I know. I will always be your son. But I’m also the LAST SON of Krypton.

SMASH CUT TO:

INT. ANOTHER PART OF CLARK’S LOFT — DAY

CLOSE ON CLARK’S BACKPACK: Clark tears open the sack to reveal a folded bluish cloth. Its color and texture unlike anything seen on Earth.

Clark’s confidence and assurance is affecting everyone in the room. Martha and Jonathan stand back and watch as their son becomes a MAN before their very eyes.

CLARK
I found this a couple years ago when I was in the Antarctic. It’s from Krypton.

JONATHAN
Krypton? Are you sure?

CLARK
I’ve kept it with me ever since. It meant a great deal to my ancestors. It’s time it meant more to me…

Clark unfolds the fabric to reveal a RED & YELLOW SHIELD with a stylized ‘S’ in the cloth’s blue field. Exactly like the insignia rotating on Lex’s computer.

CLARK (CONT’D)
It’s the Crest of the HOUSE OF EL.

MARTHA
That’s amazing! What are you planning to do with it?

CLARK
(smiling wryly)
I don’t know, Mom. You still sew?

OFF Jonathan’s deflated expression…

CUT TO:

INT. BOARDROOM — LUTHORCORP — DAY

The LuthorCorp boardroom is cold; all steel and glass. Lex sits at the head of the table, coolly addressing his board members.

LEX
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you may already know, LuthorCorp is entering its sixteenth consecutive quarter of growth, our profit margins are growing exponentially, and with the recent acquisition of SWANN TECHNOLOGIES, we are in an excellent position for a hostile takeover of WAYNE INDUSTRIES…

The board members applaud enthusiastically, knowing their coffers are about to be filled to the brims.

LEX (CONT’D)
Dr. Hamilton will be arriving shortly to announce LuthorCorp’s newest enterprise, PROJECT S.T.A.R. which will make this company the globe’s leading developer of astro-communications. Unfortunately, in order to maintain this rapid expansion, I’ve had to sacrifice a few things.

OFF one board member’s concerned look as Dr. Hamilton enters the room flanked by Mercy and some of Luthor’s personal security forces.

LEX (CONT’D)
Buying out your shares and dissolving the board was a necessary evil, and I do apologize. That being said, having private citizens privy to the information Dr. Hamilton is about to share would be quite inappropriate. I believe Mercy can show you all the way out.
(beat)
Good day.

With that, the security forces forcibly escort the former LuthorCorp board members out of the room. As Lex looks on with annoyance.

HAMILTON
Very smooth Mr. Luthor.

LEX
I do my best. So, tell me. Project S.T.A.R. will be fully operational when?

HAMILTON
Our engineers have found a way to incorporate the technology of your tablet with some of Swann Tech’s. I gotta tell you Lex. I was surprised to see that we could even use an extra-terrestrial form of artificial intelligence. Fortunately, Swann’s interfaces are some of the most advanced we’ve ever encountered.

LEX
In other words, you think Swann had contact with these aliens that landed in Smallville?

HAMILTON
Not exactly. But I’m just a geologist. The meteors are my specialty, not computers.

LEX
What if I told you I had proof?

Hamilton looks at Lex with bewilderment.

HAMILTON
Proof?

LEX:
Ten years ago, one of Swann’s long distance satellites picked up a faint signal. Apparently, he successfully translated that signal.

(to Mercy)
Would you be a dear?

She reaches for a switch by the door and the lights dim as a large plasma screen emerges from the ceiling.

The screen is soon filled with rapidly scrolling KRYPTONIAN TEXT!

LEX
(CONT’D)
Look familiar to you?

Hamilton’s mouth is agape with shock.

LEX
(CONT’D)
Now, Dr. Hamilton, give me some good news about your research, and I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed.

HAMILTON
Through Project S.T.A.R. we’ve been able to successfully harness some of the meteors’ mutative properties. In time we should be able to locate the alien life forms that came to Earth in the meteor shower.

LEX
Kryptonite.

HAMILTON
Excuse me?

LEX
The meteor rocks. They’re called Kryptonite.

HAMILTON
How do you know?

LEX
Oh. You’ll see that I’m full of surprises Dr. Hamilton. Do you have the file?

Hamilton tosses a manila folder on the table.

CLOSE ON FOLDER: The words on the folder read PROJECT S.T.A.R.: TOP SECRET. In the center of the folder is the red and yellow ‘S’ shield.

SMASH CUT TO:

INT. SEWING ROOM — KENT FARM — DAY

The same red and yellow ‘S’ shield, this time on a blue cloth lies in between the needles of a sewing machines. Now, however, the cloth is frayed at the edges. The result of some clever HEAT VISION.

PULL BACK TO REVEAL

MARTHA & CLARK laughing and happily designing some kind of regal SUIT of BLUE, RED, and YELLOW.

CLARK
How about some leather. You know, for the boots.

Clark shows Martha some worn red leather.

MARTHA
Possibly, if we mold it around your feet. Can you heat-weld the seams?

CLARK
It worked for the top of the tunic. Thanks again for doing this, Mom. It’s not like we can take this to any old tailor.

MARTHA
You’re really excited about this aren’t you?

CLARK
About not having to lie low anymore? It’s gonna feel like a whole new life. I’ve never been clearer about something in my life. In the FORTRESS, I learned so much about who I really am. Kryptonians weren’t monsters, mom. They were scientists, artists. They were a great people. That’s why I was given that banner. Jor-El wanted me to know where I was from. They wanted me to carry on their legacy HERE. Like it’s my calling. My BIRTHRIGHT.

MARTHA
I’m really proud of you, son.

CLARK
And Dad?

MARTHA
He’s fine. It’s just a lot for him to digest right now. Give him time.
(beat)
Now go find me some more leather.

With that, Clark dashes out of the barn.

CUT TO:

EXT. BARN — KENT FARM — DAY

A maroon Jeep pulls into the Kent driveway. A car Clark hasn’t seen in five years.

Clark stops DEAD IN HIS TRACKS.

The door opens, and out steps LANA LANG.

CLARK (to himself)
Lana.

LANA
Hello Clark. It’s been a long time.

CLARK
I thought you left town. For good.

LANA
The same can be said about you. I see Smallville’s mild mannered Clark Kent went and made a name for himself out in the real world.

Lana holds up a copy of the GHANA DISPATCH; its front page documenting the recent assassination of Senator Kobe Asuru in Africa. The byline reads: STORY BY CLARK KENT.

Clark smiles, sheepily. And for a moment, he once again resembles his shyer, younger self.

LANA
(CONT’D)
All that time at the Torch paid off.
(beat)
I’m proud of you Clark.

CLARK
What about yourself. I thought you wanted to get as far away from Smallville as possible. What brought you back?

LANA
We both went out into the world to find ourselves. To find out who we were. I realized something after college. No matter how far I run, Smallville will always be my home.

CLARK
How long have you been back?

LANA
A couple weeks. I’m teaching Art at the High School.

CLARK
So, you’re back for good then?

LANA
Nell gave me the title to her old house. It looks like we’re going to be neighbors again.

OFF Lana’s angelic smile…

CUT TO:

EXT. AUNT NELL’S HOUSE (NOW LANA’S) — EVENING — TO ESTABLISH

Lana and Clark, reunited after all these years, take a familiar walk. The two make the short trek from the Kent Farm to Lana’s house, reminiscing along the way.

CLARK
…And that’s how I ended up with a journalism degree. So how about you? What’s it like being a teacher?

LANA
It’ll take some getting used to. It’s funny. After all these years, so much about Smallville has changed; yet, there are some things that will always be a constant in my life. You’re one of them.

Clark smiles.

LANA
(CONT’D)
You and I have been through so much. But it’s nice to be able to do this again?

CLARK
What’s that?

LANA
Have a conversation. Looks like we’re here.

Clark walks her up the front porch steps. All of a sudden these two old friends find themselves like awkward teenagers once again.

Lana kisses Clark. On the cheek.

LANA
I want us to have a clean slate from now on, Clark. The past is the past. I don’t care about whatever came between us anymore. I just want to be your friend again.

CLARK
I’d like that.

With that, Lana smiles and turns to enter her house.

CLARK
Lana, wait.

She faces Clark again, as if she was waiting for this moment her entire life.

CLARK
(CONT’D)
There’s something you need to know. Come with me.

Lana takes Clark’s hand, as we…

CUT TO:

EXT. OPEN PASTURE — EVENING
The field is expansive and lush. We see Clark and Lana, hands together, make their way across this meadow awash in the light glow of early evening. The stars are just beginning to make their mark on the wide sky.

Clark looks up to the sky.

CLARK
From the first time I ever saw you, I’d been waiting for this moment. Now that we’re here, I don’t know where to start.

LANA
It’s okay, Clark. Whatever you want to tell me…
(beat)
I’m ready for it.

CLARK
I can’t stay in Smallville anymore, Lana. It’s funny. I was so sure about leaving Smallville for good, then you showed up in my driveway.

LANA
Clark, whatever plans you made, don’t let me stand in the way. I didn’t even expect you to be back in town.

CLARK
No, that’s not what I meant. It’s just that, I know where my purpose lies. And I was certain it wasn’t in Smallville, and then I saw you again.

Clark musters up the courage to reject the love of his life once again. Only this time, he knows it’s permanent.

CLARK
But I have to go. As much as I want to stay right now, I know. I have to leave here.
(beat)
I’ll always love you Lana.

He hugs her.

LANA
Oh, Clark.

CLOSE ON: their warm, genuine embrace. Tears flow down the cheeks of these two star-crossed lovers. In the midst of this emotional outburst, Lana does not realize the two of them are FLOATING high above Smallville.

LANA
(scared)
Clark! What’s happening?!

CLARK
(comforting)
It’s time you knew EVERYTHING.

OFF Lana’s stunned expression…

FADE OUT.

END OF ACT THREE

Heh. After rereading this four years later, I realized I was the first person to call Clark "the Blur!"

RakuMon said:
The audience cheers loudly. Kobe beams from the stage. At that moment, gunshots ring out. The crowd disperses and scatters as panic sets in. Another gunshot.

As the bullet screams toward Kobe, we see the leader as he realizes his fate is upon him. His wide eyes close but a RED & YELLOW BLUR races into frame faster than the speeding bullet.

BLUR (O.S.)
Get down!!!

well probably one of the first fans too, red/blue blur probably been how many writers wrote supes for comics while making them(well of course not calling him the blur like sv)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"