Seth McFarlane's "The Orville"

don't know if you all care, but I just saw Halston Sage on the new Magnum PI probably just a guest role.

Episode 4 under the belt and it still going good IMHO.

don't know if you all care, but I just saw Halston Sage on the new Magnum PI probably just a guest role.

It looks like she could be showing up every now and then on Magnum as a rival PI with the way they set it up.

Also it doesn't seem that Halston is dating McFarlane anymore according to her Instagram. She seems to be dating someone else called Charlie Puth. I wonder if that's part of why she left.

I don't think they were ever dating to begin with. It looked more like Hollywood rumor than anything else.

MacFarlane dated Emilia Clarke for a minute and apparently he was the one that broke it off. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets around lol.

MacFarlane dated Emilia Clarke for a minute and apparently he was the one that broke it off. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets around lol.

Well, I think he's openly non-committal. I mean, he's not hurting for attractive companionship for almost 2 decades.

I have to say, his show is just entertaining to watch. I'm just now hearing about all the TNG/ Trek family involved, I would be surprised if Fox/ Disney pushes this like they should. You don't even need to compare, it's obvious.

Always someone who has to predict a cancellation with just their "I hate it and therefore so must everyone else" opinion.
Well, I enjoy the show, but it's definitely in danger. Lethal Weapon, The Gifted, and Rel are the only 3 scripted shows on the network with lower ratings, and they're all pretty much already on the chopping block. I think the Orville's fate will depend entirely on how strong they feel their new pilots are for next season.

Not a big fan of last night's episode. Why didn't they just kick Kelly and Bortus off the planet instead of imprisoning them? It wasn't like they were going to stay anyway. They weren't born on the planet and should have argued that they weren't born under the star signs of that world so they couldn't have been the "wrong" sign.

And while Star Trek made a big deal over never interfering with other planets' development, on this show they seem to have no problem just upending the basis of alien societies because they don't agree with the way they operate.

Also, wouldn't the Union have a Diplomatic corps devoted to interplanetary relations? Sending Ed down seems dangerous considering they had no idea who these people really were. Next Generation did it the right way by never sending the Captain down on missions like this.

I really wish they'd get real science fiction writers on this show. The cast is good but the plots haven't been very good this year so far.

Interesting to see Ted Danson involved, though.

The Orville's ratings aren't terrible but they aren't particularly high either. It can probably make it to season 3. I don't see Fox/Disney cancelling four shows so close together like that.

This week's episode was classic Trek again. There was virtually no difference. It could easily have been a Voyager episode. It had some elements of TNG and TOS as well. And it kept the humour to a minimum so it felt like any other action series.

Not sure how I feel about Alara's replacement yet. She certainly doesn't have the innocence of Halston Sage.

Oh I like Jessica Szhor from other things. Give her a chance at least. Maybe she'll bring her buddy Nina Dobrev to guest star.

Not a big fan of last night's episode. Why didn't they just kick Kelly and Bortus off the planet instead of imprisoning them? It wasn't like they were going to stay anyway. They weren't born on the planet and should have argued that they weren't born under the star signs of that world so they couldn't have been the "wrong" sign.

And while Star Trek made a big deal over never interfering with other planets' development, on this show they seem to have no problem just upending the basis of alien societies because they don't agree with the way they operate.

Also, wouldn't the Union have a Diplomatic corps devoted to interplanetary relations? Sending Ed down seems dangerous considering they had no idea who these people really were. Next Generation did it the right way by never sending the Captain down on missions like this.

I really wish they'd get real science fiction writers on this show. The cast is good but the plots haven't been very good this year so far.

Because their belief was as much of religion and true statement to them as the Krill's. Thus doing their duty to protect the universe from those Union folks who were to in the dark to do something

wow that last episode talk about being born under a bad sign :hehe:

Picard did frequently go down for these kinds of missions though even though he is supposed to have initiated the rule that it's the first officer who goes down. They never really stuck hard and fast to that rule.

And they're not necessarily following TNG here. They're probably taking some inspiration from the original series where Kirk went down all the time.

wow I loved the one that aired today from the story to seeing Issac in 'the flesh' as well as Yaphit. and again the VFX dept is on point lots of great shots of the ship from different angles and I liked how the music of the song Singing in the Rain turned into the Orville theme very nice. The Orville is easily my fave show on the air today.

Oh and Bortus rocking the Thomas Magnum 'stashe' was priceless!

I was expecting this Isaac/Claire thing to be a cute little subplot, not the whole damn plot of the episode, lol. Still, it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Much better episode than last week's! Loved the 'Singin' in the Rain' homage, and apparently TCM was showing the movie last night, too...

Just got caught up on this show. Fell off watching it about two thirds of the way into the first season. As others have said it definitely got better as it went along. The TNG cloney-ness of it all is still a bit much...Lamar goes from being the black guy with a similar sounding name to Laforge to actually having the same job *snicker*

I loved the episode. Nice little focus on the crew. And some great gags. Lamare and Morris running through the ship killed me, as well as the Norm cameo.

This was like the TNG episode where Data initiated a relationship with a crew member but it didn't work out and he merely deleted the program. I thought it would go the same way but was surprised it didn't.

It was also like TNG when they had these string quartets. However, they hired a full orchestra here.

This is a great show. It has a classic "Star Trek" feel to it, way more than the latest Star Trek does.
The only real flaw it has is how they go just a bit too far with the humor, but enough of the humor hits the mark that I can forgive it going a little over the top every so often.

This is a great show. It has a classic "Star Trek" feel to it, way more than the latest Star Trek does.
The only real flaw it has is how they go just a bit too far with the humor, but enough of the humor hits the mark that I can forgive it going a little over the top every so often.

Well in the previous episodes I wouldn't say they went too far with the humour at all. In fact, some of them were quite serious like the one with the Krill traitor or the last one with the internment camp. Even the one with Alara's final episode was pretty serious.

"In Theory", the episode about Data dating, had the string quartet, which was another similarity with "A Happy Refrain". Apparently the orchestra in this episode are the musicians who normally do the musical score for the Orville, as is the conductor.

On another note, Alara is a name I would consider naming a daughter if I had one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"