Seth McFarlane's "The Orville"

Near the beginning of "Deflectors" When the torpedos were fired at the Orville by the Moclon cruiser I thought we were already going to the premise of the other Roddenberry show to hit the air. Kevin Sorbo's, I mean Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, and the war was about to start.

As to the main plot that was about as subtle as "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" from ToS

A[nother] very strong, emotional episode. Curious to see if Kelly and Ed do indeed wind up back together. Very coincidental that we get a very relationship-heavy episode that aired on Valentine's Day.

A[nother] very strong, emotional episode. Curious to see if Kelly and Ed do indeed wind up back together. Very coincidental that we get a very relationship-heavy episode that aired on Valentine's Day.
Not coincidental at all. Well maybe for FOX. Over on ABC they changed the viewing order of The Rookie because of the late State Of The Union delay would have put their Valentine's Day episode next week

A rather serious episode this week apart from that giant flower. I wish they didn't have that scene as it disrupted the story.

I thought it was going to be another Bortus heavy episode, which I find boring. I'm glad it turned about to be more about Talla. Was also good that they had to investigate a murder. I didn't want it to just be about relationships again. Although they could've put the Isaac and Clare episode on Valentine's day instead.

I was hoping that Klyden would be guilty as that would've upset things a lot. But then I suppose it would've shifted the focus back to Bortus again. I think they might break up eventually.

The holodeck was just the universal or paramount backlot which we've seen hundreds of times before in different films or shows.

Well, this episode was good for getting me to like Talla as part of the crew. That is important with Allara gone.

They really don't want us to like the Moclans, though. I'm waiting for the episode where Bortus stabs Klyden.

I hope they give the Moclans and Bortus and rest. Focus on some other characters for a change. What's so interesting about Bortus and the Moclans anyway?

I hope they give the Moclans and Bortus and rest. Focus on some other characters for a change. What's so interesting about Bortus and the Moclans anyway?
He is on the main cast and not human

He is on the main cast and not human

We've barely seen any stories about LaMarr or Malloy. Yes, they are human, but they barely focus on them, especially Malloy. He just provides comedic relief.

that episode got me right in the feels damn you Fox!

There are genuinely times when I'm watching this show when I wonder why they don't just beam down to a planet or escape a situation using the transporter. Then I suddenly remember this is not Star Trek.

And that is exactly why teleporters do not exist in the Orville universe.

Can’t say that any episode of The Orville has really impressed me. At its best (grading on a curve :word:), I suppose the series evokes a vague nostalgia for classic Star Trek while telling more-or-less original stories. But “Deflectors” seemed like a very familiar ST trope - a “murder mystery” setup where, as it turns out, there’s been no actual murder.

Now, flipping the gay/straight prejudice was marginally interesting. But it was also as subtle as a brick. And since Moclan engineer dude was rather gruff and stoic (a trait of the species, I guess), the pathos was, IMO, somewhat undercut. (No “feels” from me.) Also, this is the second (or is it the third?) time where Moclan society is revealed to be conspicuously regressive. Now as allegory, this could work for guest-starring aliens; but one wonders why the heck the Planetary Union (Orville’s version of United Federation of Planets) would want such aliens as members.

Can’t say that any episode of The Orville has really impressed me. At its best (grading on a curve :word:), I suppose the series evokes a vague nostalgia for classic Star Trek while telling more-or-less original stories. But “Deflectors” seemed like a very familiar ST trope - a “murder mystery” setup where, as it turns out, there’s been no actual murder.

Now, flipping the gay/straight prejudice was marginally interesting. But it was also as subtle as a brick. And since Moclan engineer dude was rather gruff and stoic (a trait of the species, I guess), the pathos was, IMO, somewhat undercut. (No “feels” from me.) Also, this is the second (or is it the third?) time where Moclan society is revealed to be conspicuously regressive. Now as allegory, this could work for guest-starring aliens; but one wonders why the heck the Planetary Union (Orville’s version of United Federation of Planets) would want such aliens as members.

They only want them for their skills and are prepared to put up with them in exchange for that. But I bet if they could find someone better or equal in skill set to the Moclans, they would dump them quickly if possible. Of course, there are probably some diplomatic issues that they might not want to address in case they offend them and make them into enemies.

Who knows though. Maybe the Moclans were enemies before, and bringing them into the Planetary Union was Starfleet's way of keeping the peace and making the Moclans feel appeased. Perhaps having Bortus there is to fill a certain Moclan quota while having him act as a kind of intermediary. It might be more interesting if that is the only reason they're working with them as reluctant allies.

At some point maybe the Planetary Union will decide it's not worth working with them anymore, and it could start (or reignite?) a war. Then Bortus would be forced to choose between his own people or the starship that he's made his home and who have helped him overcome certain prejudices. I can imagine it would divide Bortus's family as Klyden is likely to choose the Moclans without question while Bortus might not be as sure.

Can’t say that any episode of The Orville has really impressed me. At its best (grading on a curve :word:), I suppose the series evokes a vague nostalgia for classic Star Trek while telling more-or-less original stories.

Heh...you're being kind with "vague". This show has their version of Worf, Data, Geordi and Crusher (lady doc with kid(s)). Even replaced their female security chief early in the series (with another woman this time) heh.

It's funny to me how the actual Trek franchise does something different and some fans hate it, but some of those same fans sing Orville's praises for being a blatant TNG rip-off. "I only want to see the same thing I've seen before". :huh: :hehe:

Heh...you're being kind with "vague". This show has their version of Worf, Data, Geordi and Crusher (lady doc with kid(s)). Even replaced their female security chief early in the series (with another woman this time) heh.

It's funny to me how the actual Trek franchise does something different and some fans hate it, but some of those same fans sing Orville's praises for being a blatant TNG rip-off. "I only want to see the same thing I've seen before". :huh: :hehe:

People like seeing or hearing the familiar. It's why children want to keep hearing the same bedtime stories and say "Again! Again! Again!" even though they've heard it hundreds of times before and there are new ones to choose from.

I think it is because Discovery is kind of going in the direction most reboots have been going in. And really, we haven't had a show like the Orville in quite some time. The closest would be Dark Matter, but even that is kind of stretching it a bit.

Not sure how they can have Isaac back after his planet history is known now

Something is off about Isaac. Maybe the Kaylons messed with his data somehow, but either way, this was a very dark first part of a two-parter. Really shows how this season has really kept it up as far as playing it serious with very few jokes. I'm enjoying the dramatic turn and am very curious to see how the crew gets out of this.

Also, Bortus is right- the corner piece of cake is the best.

I think Issac will probably come around somehow or sacrifice himself or whatever.

I really liked this episode.

That really came out of left field, I didn't see it coming at all.
I really like it when a show can surprise me like that, it doesn't happen nearly enough these days.
Pt. 2 should be a blast, I can't wait.:wow:

Wow that was some seriously ballsy writing. In no way was I predicting anything like that to happen. Great episoe and really looking forward to next week’s episode!! Will they have to kill Isaac? He was one of the funniest and best characters. It’s like they’re trying to replace multiple major characters with new ones... Feeling tired... Covfefe

They won't kill Isaac. My guess is that he will ultimately decide to turn against his people and defect, joining the crew as a renegade/outcast and possibly assuming the illusory human form he took a few episodes back to signal his complete rejection of his culture's ideals. Just a thought...

This was a really good episode but the Kaylon seem to have a very strong resemblance to the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica, who also started out as robots built by a biological race and who also eventually overwhelmed and destroyed their creators. Heck, even the names are almost identical. Not sure if it's an homage or a rip-off...

Did anyone notice when they first got to Kaylon that they played some music or sounds from Star Trek The Motion Picture...the music when they played when dealing with V’Ger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"