Seth McFarlane's "The Orville"

As long as they don't call their food generators "replicators" I think they'll be fine. I don't think Trek copyrighted the idea. Same with the uniforms, Trek didn't patent black and solid color uniforms.

Isaac sounds so much like Brent Spiner that I've seen some people claim it's him. It isn't - Isaac is played by Mark Jackson.

I think Discovery is going to have a very rocky go of it. I'll watch the premiere but putting it on a streaming service is going to kill it. Trek desperately needs a hit - its fanbase is aging and kids don't care about it. Making people pay for it and creating yet another dark, grim bummer of a series isn't the way to improve things. Kids won't watch it and adults won't want to pay for it. Unless it's absolutely incredible, I give it maybe two years.

Im amazed Fox and Seth arent being sued by CBS. I guess its just enough of a spoof to be safe from being a total ripoff.

But I wonder if Orville does better than Star Trek Discovery whether CBS will get ash flash and try to sue Fox?

It's hardly the first time there's been a show like this. Let's not forget the short-lived Other Space. Granted, this show is formatted even more like Star Trek.

I don't think CBS would have any grounds to sue. TO is a fairly generic space adventure show. It's not trying to pass itself off as Star Trek or competing with it.

Unless they try to use Star Trek characters or planet names I think they'll be OK.

Its uniforms, the ship, the characters roles and designs, the opening credits sequence are all clear ripoffs of star trek (I dont mind, but it is.) so I think they would have grounds for a lawsuit. Even if they didnt win they could possobly get the show put on hiatus if they get a favorable judge and that would be more than enough to kill the show.

So they're tackling trans issues.

well i see mcfarlane knows star trek was often about taking real world issues and using science fiction to dress them up and address them.

Bill Nye the cancer guy?

*laughs*

Well, it was ballsy to end it like that as opposed to wrapping everything up in a bow.

That was an oddly sweet episode. Considering this was Seth McFarlane, I am kind of impressed.

And the musical cues and commercial break cuts are SOOOOOOOOO Star Trek. That overpowering, overdramatic music is what I grew up with on TNG and DS9.

So from the sound of things, females are born into this species a lot more frequently than just once every 75 years. Bortus' mate was born female and they just had a female child. So it sounds like the race isn't naturally all male but is that way because they surgically alter female babies to make them male.

I wonder what happened to the adult female at the end of the show? I really doubt they'd just let her go back to her cave. Was she arrested? And how did she publish her novel and become renowned when she was living by herself in a cave and presumably had no contact with the rest of her society?

Ask McFarlane on Twitter, he actually answers.

That was an impressively heavy topic they tackled on a show like this. While I'm glad they attempted to discuss a social issue the execution was horrible. Grayson was terrible in the arguments she presented to the court.

While the show is moderately enjoyable, I have come to the conclusion that I absolutely hate Seth McFarlane. He is just so unlikeable and his attempts at making jokes on the show always fail for me. I like the other characters on the show but man Seth just ruins the show for me. For example, the gag in the briefing room with the board games had me cringing at how badly acted it was.

I also wish that they would either stop bringing up the marriage thing every episode. It seems forced and doesn't seem to fit into the normal flow of the episode.

On a side note, I started watching Other Space after seeing it mentioned in this thread and man that show is so freaking funny and great. It reminds me of a classic British show like Red Dwarf. So thank you for introducing me to this fun show.

I wonder what happened to the adult female at the end of the show? I really doubt they'd just let her go back to her cave. Was she arrested? And how did she publish her novel and become renowned when she was living by herself in a cave and presumably had no contact with the rest of her society?
Probably.
Female sympathizers or at least the few Moclins who were willing to keep her secret given her keen wisdom.

Definitely didn't expect this male-"only" species to be so nuclear. That's one way to do the Klingons.

That was an impressively heavy topic they tackled on a show like this. While I'm glad they attempted to discuss a social issue the execution was horrible. Grayson was terrible in the arguments she presented to the court.

While the show is moderately enjoyable, I have come to the conclusion that I absolutely hate Seth McFarlane. He is just so unlikeable and his attempts at making jokes on the show always fail for me. I like the other characters on the show but man Seth just ruins the show for me. For example, the gag in the briefing room with the board games had me cringing at how badly acted it was.

I also wish that they would either stop bringing up the marriage thing every episode. It seems forced and doesn't seem to fit into the normal flow of the episode.

On a side note, I started watching Other Space after seeing it mentioned in this thread and man that show is so freaking funny and great. It reminds me of a classic British show like Red Dwarf. So thank you for introducing me to this fun show.

Damn, I couldn't agree more. Although, Grayson's ineptitude made sense within her context and the outcome.
:up: for getting hooked on Other Space.

Ratings took a hit without football as a lead in.
1.1 for The Orville last night.

About as expected, especially with Thur football going as well. Hopefully it remains steady.

As a fan of ST I thought this had potential, but after watching an episode I have to say...it's just lame, sure it's a piss take, but just not either clever or outrageous enough to get me involved.

I was waiting for it to get funny, and it didn't. Mel Brooks Spaceballs was a lot funnier !

As a fan of ST I thought this had potential, but after watching an episode I have to say...it's just lame, sure it's a piss take, but just not either clever or outrageous enough to get me involved.

I was waiting for it to get funny, and it didn't. Mel Brooks Spaceballs was a lot funnier !

Wonder if the Galaxy Quest and Spaceballs fans have their own little geek wars.

Three episodes in and I'm enjoying this series more than I was expecting too. Parts of it play out like a work place comedy but some of the more Star Trek bits were kind of fun. I always find Seth MacFarlane to be a mixed bag and some of his stuff can be unwatchable.

Weird that the actress who plays Lt. Kitan isn't wearing the same special effects makeup in the following episodes as she wears in the pilot. I wonder if Halston Sage just didn't want to wear it over her eyebrows.

Three episodes in and I'm enjoying this series more than I was expecting too. Parts of it play out like a work place comedy but some of the more Star Trek bits were kind of fun. I always find Seth MacFarlane to be a mixed bag and some of his stuff can be unwatchable.

Weird that the actress who plays Lt. Kitan isn't wearing the same special effects makeup in the following episodes as she wears in the pilot. I wonder if Halston Sage just didn't want to wear it over her eyebrows.

I would watch the second or third episode to make a better call. This is far more than a piss take on Star Trek, this is a very loving homage to Star Trek.

So they're tackling trans issues.
Was it trans or actual gender issues? Seemed more about patriarchy than trans. Because the society is fine with trans female-to-male, but the females are treated as outcasts.

I like the show so far. Not sure if it will last past the first season, but I will keep tuning in for now. The show is really more of a drama than it is a comedy.

One thing though. They kind of went back on Bortus' species, Moclans, from the pilot. In the pilot, they said Bortus and his species are entirely male and they are a single-gender species. But there are females even if they are rare.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"