Sexism in the modern comic film?

Anyone heard of the Red Pill movement on Reddit? It's supposed to defend the idea that men are being controled by women, i checked their forum and some of the statements in there are kinda scary if you are a woman, can't believe they have so many followers in there.

Not familiar with them, they sound like just another MRA group. These people are indeed scary and problematic.

Why did you read up their webpage?

Last edited:
Anyone heard of the Red Pill movement on Reddit? It's supposed to defend the idea that men are being controled by women, i checked their forum and some of the statements in there are kinda scary if you are a woman, can't believe they have so many followers in there.

Yeah, those people are....really something. Sickening to think people like that are out there.

Not familiar with them, they sound like just another MRA group. These people are indeed scary and problematic.

Why did you read up their webpage?

I guess i was interested to see how horrible those places realy were. :oldrazz:

everything is changing for the better

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollyw...es-finale-recap-gay-asami?mbid=social_twitter

Body Image and Badass Women: It may surprise you to know that, despite the cachet Konietzko and DiMartino had coming off of Avatar (which featured several strong women like Katara and Toph), Korra, with its tough, brash female lead, wasn’t an easy sell. Remember, this may have been a post–Buffy the Vampire Slayer world, but it still pre-dates Katniss fever. Konietzko told NPR:
Some Nickelodeon executives were worried about backing an animated action show with a female lead character. Conventional TV wisdom has it that girls will watch shows about boys, but boys won’t watch shows about girls. During test screenings, though, boys said they didn’t care that Korra was a girl. They just said she was awesome. . . She’s muscular and we like that.

I dislike the notion that muscularity is an aspect of a strong female character. It simply places another unrealistic standard on women. Very few realise how hard it is for women to gain muscle beyond a certain point. Once again, it is a rejection of femininity.

I still believe that sexism towards women is not about the denial of masculine traits, but the dismissal of feminine ones.

Here are some strengths of the human female that are constantly overlooked:

Better vision - Women are better at seeing in the dark and perceive a much wider range of colour.

Better sense of smell - Women can smell in greater detail, receive more information from smells and some research suggests they can produce and receive pheromones. Better sense of taste too.

Flexibility of the hips - Women have a much larger range of movement in this area which is helpful for certain gymnastic moves. This is actually represented a lot in media, albeit in a sexualised way.

Emotional reading - Women are more attuned to the emotions of a group and this allows a potential matriarch to make decisions for the greater good of the group.

So really to me it makes little sense to attach male attributes (like upper body strength) to a female character when women have their own skills.

:woot:

7MsdGlr.png

And that is both right and wrong.

They are rebooting Xena. They are not doing "Xena: 20 years later" so having actresses in their 40's playing characters in their 20's is kind of... :loco:

At the same time I don't see anyone doing this with MacGyver. Where is the anger that RDA isn't back in the role? Why aren't people upset with Fox for not bringing Danny Glover and Mel Gibson back for Lethal Weapon?

And another point: No one liked Arnold as a Terminator at 68, Stallone was not Rambo at 65 and when he did his last Rambo he was not physically as active as before, relying more on lots of really big guns to do the job instead. And Han Solo? Do I even need to point out how ridiculous that comparison is? He was never a rough and tumble action hero.

Not every case is a case of sexism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"