Sexism in the modern comic film?

This made me laugh so hard when I saw it!

avengers.png
Hahahahahahaha
It's true, while drawing they normally put the female character in a pose, in least the characters wasn't writen as just that

Last edited:
Hahahahahahaha
It's true, while drawing they normally put the female character in a pose, in least the characters wasn't writen as just that

But wasn't she really.

But wasn't she really.
No she wasn't, while not being one of the big 4 she had some of the most screen time, was very important to the team without having any superpowers, the film was written and directed by Joss Whedon so it's no wonder that he made her a good character instead of just eye candy

No she wasn't, while not being one of the big 4 she had some of the most screen time, was very important to the team without having any superpowers, the film was written and directed by Joss Whedon so it's no wonder that he made her a good character instead of just eye candy

I like Joss Whedon, but no one preaches girl power more while doing the exact opposite.

Having screen time and being important to the film doesn't change what the character is and more importantly how she is written, acted and directed. A classic stereotype that is there to appeal to the males in the audience. She isn't Elizabeth Bennet.

wait what i don't even :dry:

So, you're saying Widow is the world's greatest martial artist (ha! Danny Rand and Shang-Chi are *****es), and also the world's greatest detective, with a Reed Richards-genius-level intellect, and she's also richer than Bill Gates?

...Huh. And all these decades I've been reading her, I just assumed she was Marvel's greatest super-spy and top-level seductress, with wrist-tasers and masterful ass-fu.

Sorry, I meant in the context of the Avengers movie ( and implicitly, the Nolan Batfilms ).

I like Joss Whedon, but no one preaches girl power more while doing the exact opposite.

Having screen time and being important to the film doesn't change what the character is and more importantly how she is written, acted and directed. A classic stereotype that is there to appeal to the males in the audience. She isn't Elizabeth Bennet.

That's a fairly bold statement that I'd like to hear your reasons for.

In terms of Black Widow in the Avengers, nobody is arguing that she is of such complexity and nuance that critics and audience members will studying and analysing her for years. That's an absurd notion, no character in The Avengers or really any other comic film has been written to that degree.

However, I fail to see how she is badly written within the film. You can accuse her of being stereotypical and that may be so, but stereotypes are just archetypes which all writers adapt to their own stories. If we're to accept the premise that Black Widow isn't well written then surely you must accuse all the characters within the film of being such, which you may be but haven't made clear.

All the characters in the film are written with enough traits and relative complexity, relative being the operative word, to succeed in telling the story. Why do you consider Natasha to be different?

In terms of Black Widow in the Avengers, nobody is arguing that she is of such complexity and nuance that critics and audience members will studying and analysing her for years. That's an absurd notion, no character in The Avengers or really any other comic film has been written to that degree.

tumblr_lp2xn5WsPp1qfeowa.gif

And I thinkn a few other Nolan characters, as well as V, Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan disprove that a bit as well. ;)

However, I fail to see how she is badly written within the film. You can accuse her of being stereotypical and that may be so, but stereotypes are just archetypes which all writers adapt to their own stories. If we're to accept the premise that Black Widow isn't well written then surely you must accuse all the characters within the film of being such, which you may be but haven't made clear.

All the characters in the film are written with enough traits and relative complexity, relative being the operative word, to succeed in telling the story. Why do you consider Natasha to be different?

I will agree that she was written better than most characters in the MCU in that movie. I'd still say Stark, Loki and Whedon's take on Bruce Banner are a bit meatier than the rest of the MCU, but Whedon did flesh her out. I would not call it an amazing performance, but she stole her scenes and actually proved a lot of doubters who thought she was a useless addition by Whedon wrong by the end of the movie.

But I will give Darth credit in that all the most iconic performacnes in this genre are from male characters. That says something about how they are written and conceived, I do think.

tumblr_lp2xn5WsPp1qfeowa.gif

And I thinkn a few other Nolan characters, as well as V, Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan disprove that a bit as well. ;)

I'd forgotten about Moore as I posted. Although, I'd argue that the Joker, and to a certain extent V, aren't inherently complex characters. They're presence within a narrative leads to more complex questions being asked as a result of their interaction with other aspects of the text.

I'm looking at things in the 'traditional' context of adding complexity to characters (or rather, the way that I understand it). The Joker, by his own admission is 'an unstoppable force'. His thematic relevance means he can largely be taken at face value, there's no conflict within his mind. In The Dark Knight I feel that the character has the great impact he does specifically because he is frighteningly consistent.

Bruce Wayne is probably the most complex, to my mind, in Nolan's films. Although I guess that goes without saying given it's his story. Given that the initial comparisons were to Elizabeth Bennett though, I disregarded him. He is more complex than most of the MCU though, certainly.

I will agree that she was written better than most characters in the MCU in that movie. I'd still say Stark, Loki and Whedon's take on Bruce Banner are a bit meatier than the rest of the MCU, but Whedon did flesh her out. I would not call it an amazing performance, but she stole her scenes and actually proved a lot of doubters who thought she was a useless addition by Whedon wrong by the end of the movie.

But I will give Darth credit in that all the most iconic performacnes in this genre are from male characters. That says something about how they are written and conceived, I do think.

It's no Lost in Translation, but that's getting away from the main point of contention, which is with Darth's initial assertion about the character. Regardless of comparisons made referencing other films and novels, my argument is with the idea that within the context of the Avengers, she is badly written.

I think sexism in Hollywood films in general needs addressing. I know the "Bechdel test" is just for fun, but it is a useful gauge to see how restrictive female roles are in American mainstream films.

Part of the reason female hero movies aren't popular is because they're bad, on an objective level.

I don't know. There is a lot of grey area for women and action roles/features.

How seriously can you take a female action star to be honest? Is it realistic for a tight, slender woman to fight off grown men that outweigh them 50-100 pounds? Sometimes it is tough to take hand to hand combat seriously because the male actors/stunt doubles are more reluctant to take chances and go at it opposite a female co-star. Men go in with the mentality of "I'll be (said female action hero) whipping boy because that is how the director/studio wants it to play out."

With Avengers being a comic book, I can give Whedon a pass in flaunting Black Widow in action. Renner would pile drive ScarJo in two seconds in real life, but I can "buy" that she is an expert assassin that can potentially hold her own against a male of proportional size. Still far from realistic, and let's be honest, Black Widow is primarily eye candy and nothing more. Catwoman is another character that was well done. Her action didn't bother me either because I could buy it for the universe it was in. That doesn't mean it has to be a comic book. Look at something like G.I Jane, even though that wasn't really an action movie let alone a comic book movie.

Then you get pure crap like Legend of Chun Li which no longer makes you wonder why females don't get their fair shake in action roles.

To speak further generalities, it goes back to females sports. Do people want to watch lingerie football? After the first five minutes it gets kinda boring. Do people want to watch women's MMA/UFC? I don't. Most females don't. There just isn't a market for it.

Last edited:
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

Gwen Stacy stood her ground. She was hot, sexy, and smart. Whenever Spider-Man was in a fight, Gwen was right there beside him while everyone else including guys ran for their lives. When Spider-Man tells her to forget the cure and leave, she finds a way to get everyone out alive so she can stay and get the cure. She doesn't give in to her father's wishes and instead goes with the guy she likes both in the beginning and in the end. Plus when said guy says go away so she doesn't become a damsel - she STAYS and doesn't get caught. She's smart, resourceful, brave, and doesn't let the men in her life dictate her actions.

THE AVENGERS

Shows Black Widow as a kick ass Russian spy who is able to use her sexuality against guys. Everyone sees her as someone to be thrown around. She uses this perfectly against them. Her sexual wiles is part of her grace. She is on equal grounds with Hawkeye. Also she saves Hawkeye, you could say Hawkeye is the damsel in distress in the film almost since her quest is to slay the bad guy to save the guy.

SMALLIVLLE

The whole show had female empowerment. The girls in Clark's life helped send him on his journey. Lana became a superhero of a sorts and could stand her own without Clark. Chloe became the head of the all important Watchtower. Tess found a way to hold off Lex. And Black Canary stood on equal grounds with the rest of the JLA. Not to mention the number of times Lois risked her life even before knowing Clark was Superman while the guys chickened out.

THE DARK KNIGHT

Although a love interest, Rachel was shown to be a very strong character. She stood her ground. Didn't let the men in her life sway her opinions. And when she was in the trap she was a lot more confident and ready than Harvey was. They both feared for their lives and each other, Harvey was the one who really let his emotions over-ride him whereas Rachel was brave all the way to the end.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Salina Kyle uses her feminine wiles the same as the Black Widow. I don't even think there is a point where she is shown as being less or more capable than Batman, instead they are shown to be on equal grounds. This is seen in how she NUMEROUSLY takes advantage of him and how when they do fight side by side on the rooftop they take out the same number of guys.

Compared to the past I'd say we are entering the world of feminine EMPOWERMENT in these films more than anything else.

Yes, women could use good solo superheroine flicks. But, women are far and large well represented in the superhero films they are in these days. They are hot, sexy, feminine, aren't swayed by the men in their lives, and stand on equal grounds in decision making and in the fight. We're still largely waiting for a heroine of different race and sexuality in these films as well. So, is there a lot more ground to cover? Yeah, everywhere. But one thing is certain and undeniable - compared to where these films were years ago? Girls stand their equal ground.

I'm pretty sure in interviews it was one of the girls playing the heroine where they staid that the role retained femininity while also showing strength is what drew them to it. I'm not sure if that goes for all girls. But, it seems like the ideal female hero is graceful, feminine, strong in both physical and in decision-making and all the characters above clearly show that time and time again.

Last edited:
I was with you until you got to Smallville and The Dark Knight.

Many fans may not like SV but even those who don't like it, usually don't like it because to them it seems like the girls made Clark Kent rather than Clark Kent making Clark Kent and writers' focus on the female characters.

The comic book aspect of Avengers showed through when she was able to withstand a smack from the Hulk and still be alive.

How seriously can you take a female action star to be honest? Is it realistic for a tight, slender woman to fight off grown men that outweigh them 50-100 pounds? Sometimes it is tough to take hand to hand combat seriously because the male actors/stunt doubles are more reluctant to take chances and go at it opposite a female co-star. Men go in with the mentality of "I'll be (said female action hero) whipping boy because that is how the director/studio wants it to play out."

With Avengers being a comic book, I can give Whedon a pass in flaunting Black Widow in action. Renner would pile drive ScarJo in two seconds in real life, but I can "buy" that she is an expert assassin that can potentially hold her own against a male of proportional size. Still far from realistic, and let's be honest, Black Widow is primarily eye candy and nothing more. Catwoman is another character that was well done. Her action didn't bother me either because I could buy it for the universe it was in. That doesn't mean it has to be a comic book. Look at something like G.I Jane, even though that wasn't really an action movie let alone a comic book movie.

Then you get pure crap like Legend of Chun Li which no longer makes you wonder why females don't get their fair shake in action roles.

To speak further generalities, it goes back to females sports. Do people want to watch lingerie football? After the first five minutes it gets kinda boring. Do people want to watch women's MMA/UFC? I don't. Most females don't. There just isn't a market for it.

...did you just call lingerie football a "female sport"....? :dry:

Let me reverse the question: do people watch women's tennis? How about the WNBA, or women's soccer? Or fast-pitch softball?

Granted, women's sports will never reach the huge audiences of men's football, basketball, or baseball, but there *is* a market, and in some women's sports, it's growing.

Similarly, actresses face an uphill battle when it comes to action movie roles, but there's no doubt that there have been a few notable standouts. Angelina Jolie, Milla Jovovich, Uma Thurman, Michelle Rodriguez, Kate Beckinsale, Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Garner, Jessica Alba, Halle Berry, Lucy Liu, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Charlize Theron, Linda Hamilton, Michelle Yeoh, Rose McGowan and plenty more have firmly established themselves in movies and television. It's important to note that the place where most of these actresses stood out was in roles that are very much comic-booky/super-heroine-y, that allowed them to be sexy as well as powerful, and appealed equally to women AND men in the audiences.

Whedon writes female characters either a lot like he writes his male characters. In some ways how he makes his female characters "different" is by adding male traits to them. There is also a lot of male fantasy to his female characters. I don't find that to be the best way to convey a strong female character.

As to Black Widow, I never said she was badly written. But she is a stereotype, and unlike the others, relies solely on her position as one. Her first scene in the film is based around your breast jiggling and her doing the typical Joss Whedon, "small woman, badass warrior" thing. Just because the character serves her purpose in the film, that doesn't make it the character particularly strong. It also didn't help Johansson just doesn't fit the role.

And while I actually do find the vast majority of the characters underwritten in the Avengers, it still featured Thor, Loki and Banner, who with little screentime still proved to be atypical.

Just because it is a team up comic film, doesn't change the goal post. I have seen Nolan versions Bruce, Joker, Dent and Bane. Same for McAvoy's Charles and Hiddleston's Loki.

Last edited:
I have no idea how Black Widow's first scene conveyed just breasts jiggling. To me it showed a woman who knew men viewed her differently and smaller and sexual and she USED that AGAINST them. Basically Whedon's way of saying to the men and audience "women can be powerful as well and are not to be messed with." It was a big f-u to the stereotype. It played on the audience expectation of a damsel then had her kick ass, if that wasn't female empowerment and dismissing men just objectifying her I don' know what would.

Last edited:
I have no idea how Black Widow's first scene conveyed just breasts jiggling. To me it showed a woman who knew men viewed her differently and smaller and sexual and she USED that AGAINST them. Basically Whedon's way of saying to the men and audience "women can be powerful as well and are not to be messed with." It was a big f-u to the stereotype. It played on the audience expectation of a damsel then had her kick ass, if that wasn't female empowerment and dismissing men just objectifying her I don' know what would.

It is typical now. Has been for years. That is how you portray a "badass" woman. It isn't new. It isn't playing on the audience expectations, but it is exactly what they expect now. It is the mundane, the obvious. Especially when you play up her sexuality and how men fall victim to it. It is complete male fantasy and I am not sure how it is empowering. The idea that the way a woman can be powerful by taking on the characteristics of a man, while being sexy.

Last edited:
Whedon writes female characters either a lot like he writes his male characters. In some ways how he makes his female characters "different" is by adding male traits to them. There is also a lot of male fantasy to his female characters. I don't find that to be the best way to convey a strong female character.

'Male traits'? Could you be a bit more vague with that criticism? Do they pee standing up? Keeping with the subject of Natasha primarily, but this does bleed into his other characters obviously, traits include: intelligence, a dry sense of humour, arrogance, independence, concern, cynicism, fear, self delusion and pride. Which of those are characteristics that women shouldn't (or is it can't?) display?

Isn't taking characteristics that are fundamental to the human experience and applying utterly arbitrary gender restrictions and limitations to them just propagating the notion that men and women are completely different? Whedon likely holds the belief that gender equality is grounded in the idea that men and women all share in a communal experience and that no progress can be made by making the distinction of what is 'masculine' or 'feminine'.

It's very likely that there is a strong element of male fantasy in his female characters, just as there is in his male characters. Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, James Bond, Indiana Jones, all of these characters are obvious male fantasy characters but it doesn't make them any weaker characters. Even ignoring those more extreme examples, I'd imagine he wishes he were as smart as Banner or as commanding as Fury. Writing characters with desirable attributes or who you would like to be/be around does not weaken the character.

Presumably you're referring to the fact that Whedon likely finds some of his female characters attractive/appealing and would like them were they to exist in reality. I don't see what the criticism is here, why should anybodies external perception of what is sexy be taken into account when passing judgement on whether a character is strong or not? If Whedon were to suddenly become asexual would your assessment change and his characters acceptable at conveying strong female characters?

As to Black Widow, I never said she was badly written. But she is a stereotype, and unlike the others, relies solely on her position as one. Her first scene in the film is based around your breast jiggling and her doing the typical Joss Whedon, "small woman, badass warrior" thing. Just because the character serves her purpose in the film, that doesn't make it the character particularly strong. It also didn't help Johansson just doesn't fit the role.

And while I actually do find the vast majority of the characters underwritten in the Avengers, it still featured Thor, Loki and Banner, who with little screentime still proved to be atypical.

Just because it is a team up comic film, doesn't change the goal post. I have seen Nolan versions Bruce, Joker, Dent and Bane. Same for McAvoy's Charles and Hiddleston's Loki.

How can a character 'rely solely on their being a stereotype'? What does that mean? Rely on being a stereotype for what? Surely stereotypes (I'm assuming you're using the term as synonymous with archetype) exist to fulfill specific roles in a story, a kind of narrative shorthand. 'Unlike the others', what about the other characters means they don't 'rely' on being stereotypes? If they don't fulfill the role that the archetype exists to fill then the label is meaningless. Furthermore, if you're calling Black Widow a stereotype, presumably of a woman who uses her sexuality to display power over men, then I don't see how she relies solely on that definition.

Her arc has nothing to do with being a woman or behaving sexually. She is used to demonstrate and sell to the audience the potential danger of the Hulk, which means she has to be a genuine victim rather than a manipulator. She also proves to be the most pragmatic, recognising her own weaknesses and instead applies herself in a more effective way in the final battle. There is really only one scene in the Avengers where that dynamic comes into play, Loki interrogation, and even that works on a level beyond 'feminine wiles defeat arrogant men'.

By saying her first scene is based around 'breast jiggling' and playing on a similar Joss Whedon dynamic, you're not actually making any criticism of the strength or portrayal of the character. You can point out that Whedon isn't innovating with this scene or stepping out of his comfort zone but that's largely irrelevant. The scene demonstrates Black Widow's personality, gives us an idea of who she is, how she operates and shows her making decisions based on her own goals. In a story, good characters do these things. Your reducing the scene to 'breast jiggling' is disingenuous and suggests that you feel that her cleavage undermines any aspect of her character.

It is typical now. Has been for years. That is how you portray a "badass" woman. It isn't new. It isn't playing on the audience expectations, but it is exactly what they expect now. It is the mundane, the obvious. Especially when you play up her sexuality and how men fall victim to it. It is complete male fantasy and I am not sure how it is empowering. The idea that the way a woman can be powerful by taking on the characteristics of a man, while being sexy.

The scene has nothing to do with with men falling victim to the sexuality of women. Her sexuality is not an aspect of the scene, her seeming to be incompetent and out of the loop in terms of her profession is. Again, of all her scenes, only one is slightly guilty of this, and that scene doesn't show Natasha actually using her sexuality actively. Male fantasy doesn't mean 'not empowering'. They are far from mutually exclusive.

Why is Black Widow primarily eye candy and nothing more? What makes her nothing more than an aesthetic pleasure compared to people like Thor, showing off his muscular arms. Thor doesn't even have an arc which Black Widow does. Heck, the same is pretty much true of Cap, am I to assume they are also primarily eye candy and nothing more?

Last edited:
It is complete male fantasy and I am not sure how it is empowering. The idea that the way a woman can be powerful by taking on the characteristics of a man, while being sexy.

Just wondering, are you saying this as a man or as a woman? Since I'm a guy, I don't have the first notion or inkling and readily admit to that. HOWEVER from interviews I've read women have liked characters that are still "feminine in their sexuality and can still kick ass." I've heard that time and time again in interviews with these women who take on these parts. That's what lured them to it and that's what they like. They seem interested in playing the femme fatale types because many find that empowering. Ann Hathaway gave Catwoman as an example as someone all girls typically want to be. I'm just taking her word for it and what drew her to the role, among other actresses for other roles, rather than someone who might have just seen boobs jiggling because all he could see is boobs jiggling, then it wouldn't be the character - it would be a 'problem' in the audience.

And 'characteristics' of a man? Can you be any less vague? All men and women have different is our peepees and weewees, everything else is left up to personal distinctions. There is absolutely no "all men must act this way" and "all women must act this way" -- saying THAT? IS sexist and someone had to call you out for it.

Last edited:
Something that stuck out to me in TDKR was how [blackout]Selina is the one to embrace Batman with a strong kiss at the end grabbing his head. They flipped around the gender dynamics where the male is usually the assertive one in a scenario like that.[/blackout]

Bruce/Batman wasn't really cast as the stereotypical he-man in Nolan's films. He's emotionally underdeveloped in his social skills.

I was with you until you got to Smallville and The Dark Knight.

Rachel was more a strong woman in Batman Begins. She was basically the Scarecrow's arch-enemy, not Batman's. When she tasered him that pretty much proved it.

i read the comments under the article. i am losing hope for our species :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"