Shaft Reboot

MadVillainy

C'mon Son
Reaction score
SHAFT REBOOT IN DEVELOPMENT WITH PREDATOR PRODUCER

Share. You're damn right.
BY JIM VEJVODAThe black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks is coming again to a theater near you.

According to TheWrap, a Shaft reboot is in development at New Line Cinema with veteran producer John Davis (the Predator franchise, Chronicle, I, Robot).

The original 1970s Shaft movies starred Richard Roundtree as the eponymous detective, while a 2000 movie starred Samuel L. Jackson as the nephew of the original John Shaft, but who was no less a bad mother -- shut your mouth!

TheWrap claims the role of Shaft will be recast. Let us know in the Comments which actors you think are the best fit to play the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about.

The SLJ one wasnt bad.

There's only one choice for Shaft if this goes through. Idris Elba. Forget James Bond make him Shaft

Last edited:
I always thought Don Cheadle would have been more interesting in the role. Give him another shot.

Casting Daniel Craig as Shaft makes as much sense as casting Elba as Bond....

But in all seriousness, I can see Elba as Shaft.

I liked the Samuel L. Jackson Shaft. Jackson was badass as always, plus it had Christian Bale and Jeffrey Wright as the bad guys.

Lucy Lui is too soft. You need a tough Shaft. Angelina Jolie?

I love Elba, but let's give some other black dudes a chance at bat for once. He can't be in EVERYTHING. :o

Pretty sure it's going to come down to Elba and Cera.

I like Faraci's idea...

The last time they rebooted Shaft Samuel L Jackson wasn't Nick Fury and Christian Bale wasn't Batman. Hell, the Twin Towers were still standing. Which I guess means it's not too early for a do-over, culturally speaking. But maybe it's too late?

That isn't stopping New Line, who are working on a new version of Shaft... which technically would be the first reboot, as the 2000 movie was a semi-sequel, with Jackson playing John Shaft's nephew. Yeah, I don't know why either.

The original Shaft exploded out of a very specific cultural moment and a cinematic movement that doesn't feel all that current right now. What would be interesting would be to make 2015 John Shaft angry, like the original version. Have him be a failry militant character, one who doesn't trust white people and who is at odds with the racist NYPD. I mean, there's no way a major studio does this in the present day, but that's about the only way I could imagine Shaft being relevant in the 21st century... by making him a lot like how he was in the 20th, not watered down. If the movie were a period piece - like the current Shaft comic from Dynamite - it could comment on modern race relations while pretending to be about the past. Maybe that's the way to go.

In the meantime, let's think about how Macklemore can redo the original Shaft theme.

Casting Daniel Craig as Shaft makes as much sense as casting Elba as Bond....

But in all seriousness, I can see Elba as Shaft.

I liked the Samuel L. Jackson Shaft. Jackson was badass as always, plus it had Christian Bale and Jeffrey Wright as the bad guys.
All of this. :up:

Screw Shaft....WHERE IS MY BLACK DYNAMITE SEQUEL DAMMIT :cmad::cmad:

AAAHHHH SUEY !!!!!

200_s.gif

Did he ever do this in the movie?

If you're referring to the line, it's a quote from the movie.

I thought the SLJ Shaft movie was pretty weak. I think a reboot could work, though.

But yeah, I'd rather see a Black Dynamite sequel. :D

Or maybe a DOLEMITE reboot?

I know it's a quote, I'm asking did he ever please any booty literally?

Personally I loved the SLJ Shaft I saw it in theater back in 2000.

Robert Downey Jr. for Shaft. Just let him go blackface Tropic Thunder again.

No but seriously Chadwick Boseman might be a nice fit. Might be a bit young though.

Love SLJ's Shaft. It was a good movie. John Singleton did a great job with it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"