Sequels Shailene Woodley COULD BE Mary Jane Watson.....in TASM3 - Part 4

I think Steward as MJ would be good motivation for Spiderman to turn to the symbiote and flee to the maldives, never looking back, so I think it is a feasible option for the third film.

In retrospect, wish they cast Stone as MJ, we still would have loved whoever played Gwen, not as much, but acceptable, and then Stone would have come in and blown everyone away playing MJ. Not many actors right now that could beat Emma Stone in that department, first that comes into my mind is Jennifer Lawrence, but she's busy playing smurf girl (I can say that because the daily star called electro a smurf)

Can't agree more with you :lmao:

So they managed to keep this 1 second shot
tumblr_mxcboieRON1ri6ot4o2_500.gif

I'm hoping they saved the rest to put it on DVD features.

So they managed to keep this 1 second shot
tumblr_mxcboieRON1ri6ot4o2_500.gif

I'm hoping they saved the rest to put it on DVD features.

If Shailene comes back somehow, whenever Peter and MJ have a kid they can tell them:

"Son/Princess, I met you're mother while fighting a giant rhino with missile launchers and machine guns in the middle of New York City. She worked at the cafe near by and her car landed on top of a taxi cab. She was wearing an apron, I was wearing a bright red and blue suit with big white eyes and a spider on my chest and back."

If Shailene doesn't come back (and it's looking very unlikely at this point), her scenes will probably never see the light of day. I'm almost certain of that.

From what Shai said last year at Comic Con, she only worked on the film for three days and had about 3-4 scenes, that were about 45 seconds each. About three minutes of screen time total. It really did sound like an extended cameo, intended to tease/introduce MJ.

I've just watched her in an interview...it's really the first time I've heard her and seen what she's like. Her appearance with makeup and her ballsy attitude. She reminds me of Lindsay Lohan circa Mean Girls...I really really like the girl.

And I'm actually quite disappointed we fans drove her away...and we did - no denying it :argh:

I'd really like to see her back. I get the impression that Woodley's MJ was going to be a friend first and foremost to Peter and I think that can still really work.

It would've eased us into MJ (don't be filthy :p) for the sequel.
Now we have to be introduced to her, accept her friendship with Peter, then that evolves into romance.
That could be the base of the story, while he deals with the rise of the Sinister Six.

But I'm not sure. It'll be interesting to see him struggle with being Spider-Man and the reluctance to put another girlfriend in danger.
His enemies know who he is. And the only love interest who could handle herself is Black Cat.

I really like Shailene and wish she'd still be in TASM3. You would think that Sony would hold on to her after her profile has risen in the past year, with The Fault in Our Stars (almost sure to be a hit) still coming. But, you never know.

How did Jennifer Lawrence manage it with her Hunger Games and Xmen commitments? I recall that she wasn't able to do any significant press for the first Xmen film because she was filming Hunger Games, and didn't they have to move the start date of Xmen: DOFP to accommodate her?

Anyway, if Shailene still returns, this is the look I like for her. She looks lovely and beautiful here (stylists take note!):

shailene-woodley-kimmel-live-03.jpg

shailene-woodley-kimmel-live-05.jpg

^ Shai more than likely asked that her contract be absolved because of her commitments to other projects.

^ Shai more than likely asked that her contract be absolved because of her commitments to other projects.

I do think that the reason why everyone has been evasive or unsure in answering questions about it is that no one (not Marc Webb nor even Shailene) knows the studio's plans yet? And also TASM2 has not even premiered in the US, so if Marc Webb elaborates more on Shailene's participation in TASM3, it would effectively be a confirmation of Gwen Stacy's fate in TASM2.

^ Gwen's fate in TASM2 has never been something they've tried to hide, so that explanation makes no sense whatsoever.

Tolmach about Shailene Woodley and MJ:

http://variety.com/2014/scene/news/...woodley-ever-appear-in-the-series-1201163878/

“We bit off more story than we could tell,” Tolmach said. “We had 148-page script. We were in the middle of that, and we realized this story is not going to be in this movie.”
When asked if the already shot footage of Woodley would appear in the next “Amazing Spider-Man,” he said, “We don’t know yet.”

TF: Do you think Mary Jane will still be a character in the third one?

MW: We'll see...We haven't written that script yet.

I have a feeling that MJ might not appear at all in TASM3. Or if she does, it'll be a very minor role with a "jackpot" type introduction/cameo. I think he'd have a pretty good idea by now if she was going to be an integral character.

I'm guessing, because TASM2 is pretty much all about setting up the bases for a bigger storyline for the sequels and spin offs, MJ won't be massive or even appear at all in the sequel. I suspect she will, but I believe they cut her, mainly, because they knew there wouldn't be much room for her with the story they had in mind for the sequel.

Webb didn't want her entering people's minds within TASM2. He didn't want people to automatically connect her as Peter's obvious existing happy ending for later.

And I believe the finale to the Gwen love storyline would come to an end best after Peter struggles and rejects the idea of ever finding love again (for a while)

BC would be that breath of fresh air. She's no Gwen and I imagine Peter would consider dating someone like her right now, as opposed to another ordinary girl like Gwen was.
Then all that comes to end when he hooks up with MJ at the end. The movie ends with him seeing her and being finally able to move on from Gwen.

Gwen's presence should still be throughout the next one. Just because she's gone, doesn't mean Peter should jump straight into bed with Betty or MJ. Felica as BC would help that theme of the love storyline. She's non typical and that makes Peter feel at ease, but it's not what he really wants. He wants a love as Peter, not Spider-Man. But he's reluctant for a long while, considering.
Then, by the end, he's prepared and more knowledgeable about how to keep his secret safe from a new love, so she won't end up like Gwen.

And of course, to have him dating right away as Peter, wouldn't feel right at all for a lot of reasons.

I wonder though, if Sony is willing to make TASM3 with Peter not having any "love interest". Unless they expand Felicia's role and she will fill in that void.

I guess it could work, much like The Avengers did. No love story of any sort in that film. But The Avengers was several heroes versus a single villain, and it looks like TASM3 will be several villains against a single hero.

The evasiveness with the answers from Webb and Woodley... I think it's because she's still under contract and if she wants out, things haven't been worked out yet.

They could do without a love interest in TASM3, but in order to effectively pull it off, Webb & Co. would have to considerably up their game in other arenas. It seems (from reviews of TASM2) that the love story, intimacy, and dynamic between Peter and Gwen is not only largely considered to be one of the best aspects of the reboot, but also its saving grace. Romance is clearly Webb's strong suit and I can't help but think that the next film might suffer significantly with the chemistry between its two leads gone.

I have a feeling that MJ might not appear at all in TASM3. Or if she does, it'll be a very minor role with a "jackpot" type introduction/cameo. I think he'd have a pretty good idea by now if she was going to be an integral character.

Could be a solution about Shailene scheduling.

I would have been happy to see Shailene as MJ although I wonder if she's too 'sweet' to be a go-happy, super-confident extrovert. Yes she's not a supermodel but she's not unattractive either, I would be content. (Although I'm not exactly anyone's idea of hitting the jackpot myself)

Shailene is a good actress. But I don't see her as MJ. She just doesn't have the looks....Actresses like Kristen Stewart, Emma Stone and Emma Watson are all very good looking girls. But Shailene is just an average face.

They are better off getting an up and coming actress as MJ.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/interview-amazing-spider-man-2-producers-avi-arad-and-matt-tolmach-talk-multiple-spider-men-spin-off-plans-and-potential-tv-shows-20140429?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&page=2#blogPostHeaderPanel

Is there a chance the Mary Jane stuff will wind up on the DVD?

Tolmach: No. Because it never made sense. It was never in a cut of the movie. It just didn't make sense.

If the scenes never made any sense then how did they manage to get past the script writing phase into casting and all the way to filming?

I was really hoping that we'd get to see them. :csad:

Same here. As I watched the movie, I easily figured out where her scenes went and to be honest, I could understand why her scenes were cut. The movie just had way too much going on.

Shailene is a good actress. But I don't see her as MJ. She just doesn't have the looks....Actresses like Kristen Stewart, Emma Stone and Emma Watson are all very good looking girls. But Shailene is just an average face.

They are better off getting an up and coming actress as MJ.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think Shailene is gorgeous, and more facially beautiful than Emma Stone, to be honest. Not to say that Emma Stone isn't beautiful, she is, but in a different way. It's all a matter of taste.

And maybe this is just me, but I'd rather have a pretty but not drop dead gorgeous, but excellent actress as MJ, rather than someone who is drop dead gorgeous but can't act to save her life. It's easier to make someone prettier on screen, but it's almost impossible to improve a starlet's acting skills if she has little to begin with in the first place (sorry, Megan Fox).

Shailene was an up-and-coming actress when she was cast. Her profile just elevated exponentially in the last year with two films, plus a third on the horizon.

After having seen the film, I understand why her scenes were cut. It would not make sense in the entire context of the film and sort of hints at what would happen to the Gwen-Peter relationship if MJ suddenly shows up. Based on the costumes worn by Emma and Andrew in the set pics with Shailene, it appears that these scenes were towards the second half of the movie which is the bloated part of the film already.

Actors shooting scenes for films and never having those scenes in the final cut are quite common. Anna Paquin's scenes in the newest Xmen film for example. When you are filming a movie, it's possible that what you thought would work on paper in the script would not work when the film is pieced together and edited. That's just the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"