Shane Black's "Doc Savage"

Lighthouse

Fairness, Equality, Bacon
Reaction score
Please let this happen. Please.

Shane Black hints that 'Doc Savage' could be next for him to direct

What really has me excited, though, is the possibility that I may see a "Doc Savage" film that Black co-writes and directs. First, I love Black's work. But more than that, "Doc Savage" is one of those things that is an above-and-beyond obsession of mine. I adore the character. I adore the books. I adore the potential that exists here, and when Black tells Brandon Connelly, "Finding the way to get that script correct has been one of the guiding passions of my adult life," that sounds to me like he needs to make that film. Not soon, but now. Right now. I want a Doc Savage movie.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...be-next-for-him-to-direct#VX9AIslLMrxjRfoh.99

C. Lee's going to love this news. :woot:

I kinda wish he was focusing on Death Note first, but this will be cool too.

Wow, this could be good. Wonder if it will happen.

I know Shane Black has been talking about this for a long time, I bet with Iron Man Three's guaranteed success this gets made. I know nothing about the character, time to fix that.

Black has been talking about writing a script for years....if Iron Man 3 does good at the box office he may finally get it made. But I'm not holding my breath over it....been rumors of one person or another working on a Doc movie for about 20 years now. First Schwarzenegger bought the developement rights, then Sam Rami, then Black.

To do the character justice, the movie needs to be set in the 30's....but I won't hold my breath on that either.

As to the people who don't know who Doc is....he is the forerunner of most current comic or adventurer heroes.

Clark "Doc" Savage Jr. Starred in a series of 181 novels from 1933 to 1949. (there are a number of new books being written by Will Murray with the permission of the copyright owners)
Billionaire genius raised since a child by his eccentric adventurer father to become the best example of human perfection.
His first adventure in the series (Books have now been written that take place before the original 1933 book) was of him avenging the murder of his father.
Doc is referred to from the beginning as "the Man of Bronze"....the Man of Steel came 5 years later.
In advertisements promoting the books starting in 1933 he was called a "superman"....SUPERMAN/Clark Kent was created in 1938.
Mention is made in his first book of Doc having a mysterious "Fortress of Solitude" above the arctic circle.
He was called the world's greatest detective.

In all seriousness, finding the right actor for Savage is going to be very difficult. There's really no actor working today that can pull off the physicality and intelligence at the same time. Maybe Chris Hemsworth, but I'm not sure on that one.

They're sewing Hemsworth up in a lot of flicks for the future, don't even know if he'd have time.

Yeah, currently Hemsworth is a good choice....and so is Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson...but not sure if either would be available for another possible franchise.

I would love to see a series of Doc adventures get made....there are plenty of source material books to pull from.

And what kind of adventures does he go on? Raiders of the lost arc style stuff?

And what kind of adventures does he go on? Raiders of the lost arc style stuff?

Sometimes. Remember, these were first written starting in 1933....

There is the one where he finds an island with dinosaurs.

The one where a mad scientist makes men almost the size of King Kong to be his goons in conquering the world.

He goes searching for a lost scientist in the jungles of Burma where people talk of the murderous thousand headed man.

The case of the shrieking blue meteor that can be summonded by a Chinese warlord that causes madness to those who hear it.

Trapped on an island with a mysterious force that strips the flesh from men.

Etc......

Thanks for all that info! I'm really hoping Shane Black gets to make it.

Black has been talking about writing a script for years....if Iron Man 3 does good at the box office he may finally get it made. But I'm not holding my breath over it....been rumors of one person or another working on a Doc movie for about 20 years now. First Schwarzenegger bought the developement rights, then Sam Rami, then Black.

To do the character justice, the movie needs to be set in the 30's....but I won't hold my breath on that either.

As to the people who don't know who Doc is....he is the forerunner of most current comic or adventurer heroes.

Clark "Doc" Savage Jr. Starred in a series of 181 novels from 1933 to 1949. (there are a number of new books being written by Will Murray with the permission of the copyright owners)
Billionaire genius raised since a child by his eccentric adventurer father to become the best example of human perfection.
His first adventure in the series (Books have now been written that take place before the original 1933 book) was of him avenging the murder of his father.
Doc is referred to from the beginning as "the Man of Bronze"....the Man of Steel came 5 years later.
In advertisements promoting the books starting in 1933 he was called a "superman"....SUPERMAN/Clark Kent was created in 1938.
Mention is made in his first book of Doc having a mysterious "Fortress of Solitude" above the arctic circle.
He was called the world's greatest detective.

So he directly influenced Superman and Batman? That's pretty cool.

I'd love to see a Shane Black Doc Savage movie get off the ground.

This would also be a pretty interesting ensemble piece since he had a five man team he also led on his various adventures.

Brigadier General Theodore Marley "Ham" Brooks, Harvard-trained lawyer.
Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Blodgett "Monk" Mayfair, one of the world's foremost chemists.
Colonel John "Renny" Renwick, leading engineer known for his oversized fists.
William Harper "Johnny" Littlejohn, geologist and archaeologist.
Major Thomas J. "Long Tom" Roberts, electrical wizard.

I also like he apparently has all these skills and abilities yet kind of sucks in the romance department.

Yep....a charging T-Rex doesn't faze him....but a cute girl shakes him up.

A picture I started drawing of Doc and his crew....

Renny, Long Tom, Johnny, Doc....

docsavagedrawing.png

Ham, Monk, and Doc's cousin Pat....

docsavagedrawing2.png

Some Doc artwork by James Bama...

doc42.jpg
doc33.jpg

doc30.jpg
docsavage7.jpg

His hair looks weird in that artwork. Like a helmet or something.

It's a blonde crew cut.

Yeah that looks like what James Bama was going for. It just doesn't look like hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"