Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings General Discussion and Speculation thread

You can't really get around that the mcu Spider-man supporting cast are badly written subversions of established characters. They're the definition of "in name only".

Except "MJ", who managed to subvert even that. lol

how turned the discussion into Spiderman here?

i really hope the fight scenes in this will blow everyone else out of the water. and that the story will be good.

after being disappointed by the new mk, we need this. lol
fight scenes were cool in the new one but not earth-shattering.
i don't even know what to say about the plot though. :dry:

i really hope the fight scenes in this will blow everyone else out of the water. and that the story will be good.

after being disappointed by the new mk, we need this. lol
fight scenes were cool in the new one but not earth-shattering.
i don't even know what to say about the plot though. :dry:

I don't know. Compared to fighting in other martial arts films though, from what we've seen of the trailer so far, I'd say about it

Nsu8Qc5.gif

lol i didn't think it was bad, i thought the trailer looked cool.
but the fighting is nothing we haven't seen before. esp if you watched so many martial arts movies over the years.

lol i didn't think it was bad, i thought the trailer looked cool.
but the fighting is nothing we haven't seen before. esp if you watched so many martial arts movies over the years.

I didn't think it was bad, but I didn't think it was all that good either. You're right it doesn't look like anything we haven't seen before from other martial arts movies.

I'm still withholding any full judgement on the MA till there's more of it shown. Although that 2 directional kick at the end wasn't too bad , not exactly easy to do from a stationary position.

So Katy is more than meets the eye or she going to be the annoying friend like Darcy was in the first two Thor movies?

Because the trailers indicate she's the annoying friend, but the toy leaks reveal she's more than meets the eye.

i think it's gonna be near impossible to top lot of that old school hong kong fight choreography:

the one thing mcu can do better is crisper visuals and better sound fx (definitely better sound fx) lol!

I didn't think it was bad, but I didn't think it was all that good either. You're right it doesn't look like anything we haven't seen before from other martial arts movies.

I hope its good but my expectations are not exactly "The Raid 3" level of fighting. Hopefully the next trailers shows us a bit more of it to judge.

I hope its good but my expectations are not exactly "The Raid 3" level of fighting. Hopefully the next trailers shows us a bit more of it to judge.
It’s a shame if not as I would have wanted this film to be a leading showcase for martial arts. The Raid films are a great example and don’t even have huge budgets so I’m not sure why they can’t get to that standard for a big MCU production like this. Hire everyone involved if necessary. This franchise has already banked tens of billions lol.

I'm still withholding any full judgement on the MA till there's more of it shown. Although that 2 directional kick at the end wasn't too bad , not exactly easy to do from a stationary position.
Yeah that in isolation was a very nice touch.

It’s a shame if not as I would have wanted this film to be a leading showcase for martial arts. The Raid films are a great example and don’t even have huge budgets so I’m not sure why they can’t get to that standard for a big MCU production like this. Hire everyone involved if necessary. This franchise has already banked tens of billions lol.

Many of these classic martial arts films don't have a huge budget at all either, and in fact could look like B-movies. But they don't depend on a huge budget either and that isn't what determines whether the fighting is good or not. Some of these classics have excellent martial arts despite not having much money to play around with. It's like a maestro still being able to produce a virtuoso performance even without a Stradivarius but only having access to a cheap violin from eBay.

How much money has gone into a film like Drunken Master with Jackie Chan? That was in the late 70s. It's still one of his very best and one of the best martial arts films out there.

Well one possible good news is that Brad Allan is the coordinator \ 2nd unit director. Former JC stunt team member and I believe he also did Kick ash and The Kingsman among other things. I mean he is not Sammo Hung or Yuen Woo Ping but he's not a nobody either.

Well one possible good news is that Brad Allan is the coordinator \ 2nd unit director. Former JC stunt team member and I believe he also did Kick ash and The Kingsman among other things. I mean he is not Sammo Hung or Yuen Woo Ping but he's not a nobody either.

But Kick ash and Kingsman never look as good as martial arts films choreographed by the likes of Sammo Hung. And they really could've gotten Sammo and others in this film in supporting roles or as opponents to face.

Yeah it would be nice to have something akin to The Raid or John Wick in the MCU movies but I guess it depends on what they are focusing on and how highly they want to show case the action of this thing. A scene like Rama v The Assassin kitchen fight in the Raid 2 or a John Wick 3 style glass house fight would be freaking amazing in this (minus blood obviously) but I dont think it will reach those levels sadly, we shall see in time I guess. I just hope its way WAY better than what we got in IronFist which was a massive letdown, at least DD got that bit right.

Yeah it would be nice to have something akin to The Raid or John Wick in the MCU movies but I guess it depends on what they are focusing on and how highly they want to show case the action of this thing. A scene like Rama v The Assassin kitchen fight in the Raid 2 or a John Wick 3 style glass house fight would be freaking amazing in this (minus blood obviously) but I dont think it will reach those levels sadly, we shall see in time I guess. I just hope its way WAY better than what we got in IronFist which was a massive letdown, at least DD got that bit right.
Yeah, Iron Fist is exactly what we don't want lol but I doubt there is any danger of that. Hopefully Feige checks out those films and decides he wants the Shang Chi choreography and skills to be as good (with adjustments to make the rating).

Yeah, Iron Fist is exactly what we don't want lol but I doubt there is any danger of that. Hopefully Feige checks out those films and decides he wants the Shang Chi choreography and skills to be as good (with adjustments to make the rating).

Maybe Feige will check out Iron Fist and the original Kung Fu for fight choreography inspiration. :o

Maybe Feige will check out Iron Fist and the original Kung Fu for fight choreography inspiration. :o
Ha, he gets massively inspired after bingeing those and puts Finn Jones in charge of high level martial arts choreography and recasts both Shang Chi and Mandarin as Jones.

But Kick ash and Kingsman never look as good as martial arts films choreographed by the likes of Sammo Hung. And they really could've gotten Sammo and others in this film in supporting roles or as opponents to face.

Well I guess that also depends on the capabilities of the cast. I mean there really is only so much you can do if the cast has no MA or acrobat background. Even JC has used him as the coordinator for some of his films , so let's hope for the best.

I also notice The Raid being mentioned a lot. I'm probably in the minority but I found it to be too choreographic. It felt like one big elaborate demo or something.

Ha, he gets massively inspired after bingeing those and puts Finn Jones in charge of high level martial arts choreography and recasts both Shang Chi and Mandarin as Jones.

Imagine if he sticks Ralph Macchio in this film as a tough karate opponent for Shang Chi. There will be plenty of high kicking scenes there.

Imagine if he sticks Ralph Macchio in this film as a tough karate opponent for Shang Chi. There will be plenty of high kicking scenes there.

Shang Chi can beat Danny and Johnny. He'll have a tough time against Kreese unless he gets powers somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"