Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings General Discussion and Speculation thread

Imperfect as a biography (Lots of important omissions, too much hagiography, some definite downplaying of human short comings etc.) but GREAT as a movie here are two clips from DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY.

How does this "instill racism" exactly? Yes, racial epithets are going to be used when fictionalizing racists and racism on screen. Saying that movies or shows that choose to tackle the subject must be sanitized is a strange position to take, much like those that think Mark Twain should be banned from libraries because of language used in Huck Finn.

I will say... Much like Black Panther this movie just by existing as a product of the MCU can be an important part of giving an audience underserved by Hollywood productions a big budget movie hero for today that they and the whole audience can get behind. That alone helps in a small way to deal with racist attitudes. So perhaps tackling racism in the film head on might be unnecessary. Granted even in BP, while no character, even the White villains in the movie, were portrayed as particularly racist, the history of racism against those of African descent did play a large part in the plot even without scenes of bad guys throwing around racist slurs.

I can also concede that the Asian male as martial arts expert has its own issues in terms of stereotypes but it's still showcasing an Asian male lead as a powerful hero.

Do you think we'll get any people in this movie being racist towards Shang Chi? A group of white guys making fun of him and trying to take him on, and then he beats them all up? Or would that feel a bit too cliched? Maybe that only happens in martial arts films set in older times and not today?

I think they could do without that though. Sometimes I feel that it was the movie/ TV show producers trying to have their cake and eat it. They could get to say all kinds of racist stuff about Chinese, but then just because those people were beaten up it allowed that to pass on film. But it still instils racist attitudes whether or not the perpetrators are taken down.

Yeah I reckon they will. I was shook in black panther when marvel was brave enough to include that killmonger speech in the museum at the start of black panther.

I just hope they don’t do some dumb penis joke. You know, girl looks down when Shang Chi is in a sauna and gasps or something dumb and predictable or something

Will this movie have an Everett Ross type character?

Does it need it? Or is it fine just to have Shang Chi on his own, whoopin' ass?

Here's and idea... If they don't do flashbacks or the like to give us the background on Shang's past, why not team him up with Randal Park's character from Ant-Man & The Wasp?

Shang could be recruited for some kind of operation by legitimate law enforcement and is partnered with Woo on a globe trotting mission. Obviously we know Park can be used for lighter material, and being this is a Marvel production chances are they'll have that but with Woo there he gets to be the one with the quips and jokes, keeping Shang as the serious driver of the film. Plus... Maybe Park can still be used for humor but we also get to see him show the audience why he's a high ranking Federal agent with the skills and demeanor to get the job done while also being funny, rather than as in A-M&TW where he was the butt of the humor. Plus... Double Asian males as leads isn't a bad thing.

Plus... this gives the film a genre to hang it's hat on which has been a thing with CBMs. In this case... The Buddy Cop film. Two individuals thrust together who are opposites that must learn to work together and bring out the best in each other. Shang can perhaps soften and be more open by the end and Jimmy may have redeemed himself through the mission after being humiliated by Scott Lang.

I reckon there will be one. Just a bone to throw towards people scared of diversity.

There will be a Ross type character and maybe a comic relief character plus of course the feisty woman character who kicks butt on her own

Well I hope they don't only shoot in Sydney but also in China. There's so many beautiful locations in China they could make use of instead of Australia.

Steven Yeun needs to get his agent on the phone Asap.

They should do some location filming in China at least but let us remember... Black Panther was shot mostly in Georgia.

Anyway it’s great for the local film industry here. And it makes my top pic of George Zhao all the more likely

Henry Golding Responds To Fans Who Want Him For Marvel's Shang-Chi

Marvel Studios’ post-Avengers: Endgame plans reportedly include a film centered on Shang-Chi, which would make it the company’s first project with an Asian superhero as the lead character. While casting for the role has yet to be announced, actor Henry Golding responded to fans suggesting he be cast as Shang-Chi and noted it is an honor to be in the conversation:

“Marvel is coming out with amazing, amazing, sort of productions and going forward, they’ve got a whole new generation of superheroes that they’re going to explore. It’s an honor to even be in that sort of conversation.”

After predicting that Marvel’s Shang-Chi will be “absolutely amazing,” Henry Golding noted it would not be his only dream project:

“I think there are many dream projects. I’m a lover of sci-fi. I’m a huge comic book fan for years and years. I love anything that’s really going to take me out of my every day to break through my own reality and take somebody on a journey and a story. I can’t wait to explore all types of movies and films. For me, it’s really about the project. It’s about the material. It’s about the filmmakers.”

In an interview with News18, Feige discussed the risk of a Shang-Chi film, saying, "I think every movie that we do is a risk. We only want to do movies that people seem to think are risks. Doing the story of an Asian-American hero of Chinese heritage is something that is very intriguing to us. It will be really different and special."

However, he ultimately appeared optimistic at the prospect of international audiences responding to an Asian lead. "I hope audiences around the world respond to it in the same way they did to Steve Rogers...whether they have American flag or not."

To be honest it’s a pretty safe bet. I mean, people responded to Jackie chan and Bruce Lee and millions of anime characters. Obviously a bad character is a bad character but if he’s written well and has the right talent there’s no reason why he couldn’t succeed

I wonder if Shang Chi will be a prequel and it will take place before Thanos' Snap or if it will take place after the events of Infinity War and Endgame to establish Shang Chi as being a part of the grander MCU?

Has it be post endgame I reckon. Can’t keep living in the past. Gotta move forward

imagine Shang Chi and Black Panther will fighting side by side one day

How exciting! There must be a ton of people bidding for marvel to film in their countries

I don't know much about Shang Chi...but is there a possibility that we finally get the real Mandarin?

I don't know much about Shang Chi...but is there a possibility that we finally get the real Mandarin?

Highly unlikely, given that it would be a terrible idea. You know who the general audience thinks is the "real" Mandarin?

Aldrich Killian. And they are right to think that.

Highly unlikely, given that it would be a terrible idea. You know who the general audience thinks is the "real" Mandarin?

The "real" Mandarin ain't a white guy. And his existence was confirmed in "All Hail The King".

They can easily make sure the audience watches All Hail The King & problem solved

The "real" Mandarin ain't a white guy. And his existence was confirmed in "All Hail The King".
I'm pretty much convinced that All Hail the King exists solely as a peace offering for those who didn't like Iron Man 3. It wasn't intended to set up any future stories.

That's not to say that the Mandarin isn't a bad idea. It's certainly better than Fu Manchu and might have some built in weight that a completely original character wouldn't have (although the Mandarin has many of the same yellow peril issues). But I wouldn't use All Hail the King as evidence of future plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"