Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings General Discussion and Speculation thread

The article does say that Lin is not the favorite yet and that we can expect more rumors in coming weeks. I like Ludi Lin but I just don’t see him as Shang-Chi

Yes to Donnie Yen in a juicy role. No to Lin as Shang-Chi. Are they gonna be serious about getting an actor with true MA skills or not. I surely hope so.

Can’t stress enough how important it is for Marvel to get these decisions spot on. Movies with Chinese themes are always a prickly issue in Mainland China. Especially with all the tensions in the region. They have to cast right firstly, which involves featuring mainland actors and actresses. A mainland lead preferable, or at least one who has deep enough origins in Mainland China. Taiwan should be fine because China considers it part of the country. Then in the movie itself there has to be special care payed to the way Chinese culture is portrayed, hence the need for crew with experience on Chinese and especially HK productions (choreographers, set designers, cinematographers). The Chinese movie industry is mature and the HK bench even more deep, so Marvel can’t say they can’t find people to fill those roles.

We saw how Crazy Rich Asians fell apart in China and most of Asia. It’s what happens when a Hollywood movie focuses on asian-American instead of Asian. Hope Marvel does not make the same mistake.

Agree. China is a very prideful nation. I know it's all fictional but if Marvel wishes to present a story and characters deep rooted in the lore of Chinese culture and its country, casting is crucial indeed, particularly the lead characters.

Getting even an unknown from the Mainland is my preferred choice even tho logistically it is more difficult (work permits/INS, etc.). As an Asian myself, getting an Asian American is fine, but it just feels so watered down in experience.

Of course we don't know if the actual story and direction is that from the perspective and experience of an Asian American as opposed to an authentic Chinese story. So it's tough to say one way or the other. One thing I know right now is the dude needs to be able to kick serious ass. I'm not sure about Lin in this regard right now.

Yes to Donnie Yen in a juicy role. No to Lin as Shang-Chi. Are they gonna be serious about getting an actor with true MA skills or not. I surely hope so.
I feel they aren't going to. Probably want some one with acting skills/charisma first

Ludi Lin has martial arts experience, and has the look of a young star (aka the exact type of Marvel movie leads). True MA skills are helpful but not necessary because a movie of this scale will have the resources to get fight coaches and coreographers. Netflix Iron Fist failed because they rushed through it heavily and were forced to learn 15 minutes before shooting.

Jet Li might be retired. I'm not sure. Haven't seen him in anything in a while. Between Jackie and Donnie, Donnie's the better fit for the movie going by the general sense. Jackie's always embraced comedic elements mixed with MA in his movies. Donnie's more no nonsense MA in his. It's a great pick. One of these legends is all u need.

Regarding Donnie Yen, that article says that he's being sought for an unidentified role rather than Shang Chi himself. He would be too old for the role anyway.

But why are they pursuing him? He's not as big a name as someone like Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Marvel should go after them.

I'll bet he's going to play Shang-Chi's dad. The "wise old statesman" casting description would fit perfectly and will probably be the movie's twist when he finds out his dad is a massive international supervillain.

But why are they pursuing him? He's not as big a name as someone like Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Marvel should go after them.

Oh... No real reason...

giphy.gif

wLCVTcC.jpg

7dfa77dc9a5f019b91a5e8284d6ec99b.gif

tumblr_om3e3jcCtK1v6w3juo4_500.gif

No good reason at all. :o

I like Lin. He’s got a ton of charisma, physicality, burgeoning star. He’s got everything. He even lives in China so I could see chinese movie goers seeing him as one of theirs. I’m in for Lin

Ludi Lin has a martial arts background. He also has a background in Muay Thai, Japanese/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling.

Here is some of his training for Power Rangers

Here is Ludi Lin in a in depth interview (How Martial Arts shaped our lives).

Discussion about Lin's own martial arts background starts at 9.30 (he quotes Bruce Lee and some Chinese proverbs about fighting.

Reactions: MbJ
I’m so excited this is happening. I wonder what his fighting style will be?
Primarily Wushu since Shang Chi is a Kung Fu master.

Probably some Wing Chun style as well.

Wing Chun style would especially be notable as a nod to Shang Chi's inspiration Bruce Lee (who was a noted practitioner)

Donnie Yen played Wing Chun master IP Man so it would be a good style to use if he is cast in the movie.

Jackie Chan and Robert Downey Junior are also Wing Chun practitioners.

Jet Li might be retired. I'm not sure. Haven't seen him in anything in a while. Between Jackie and Donnie, Donnie's the better fit for the movie going by the general sense. Jackie's always embraced comedic elements mixed with MA in his movies. Donnie's more no nonsense MA in his. It's a great pick. One of these legends is all u need.
I'm almost sure Jet Li is in Mulan.

Yeah he would be cool. He might lean closer towards the west than the east in terms of popularity though

Agreed, I have no idea who that Christopher Marc guy is

This will be such a breath of fresh air for the mcu. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"