Shang-Chi part of Phase 3?

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Endeavor, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

I know this is a very iffy source but, when looking up Kevin Feige in IMDB, the second annouced title, right under Dr Strange is: The Hands of Shang-Chi.
    Thoughts?

2. DarkSovereignty

DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

3. Endeavor

This guy [​IMG]

4. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Friend of Iron Fist.

If Shang Chi were going to in a movie, it would be rolled into an Iron Fist movie imo.

5. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

A movie for Shang Chi wouldn't do well at the box-office!

6. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Why on earth would a kung-fu movie not do well at the box office?
    Okay, we're not talking blockbuster material, clearly, but kung fu flicks are a staple of action movies and virtually every action star since the 1960s has done at least a stint or three in them.

Still, if Marvel was even remotely serious about Shang-Chi (given IMDB's poor credibility, I strongly doubt this), I'd think it'd be a lot more wise to roll up all the '70s B-movie action flick superhero types into a proper Heroes for Hire movie or TV show, where they belong: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, White Tiger.

7. Ant-manic

Ant-manic Well-Known Member

i disagree. i think they should devote a phase to movies like this (Punisher, Daredevil, Shang Chi, Iron Fist, and Luke). but i don't think a Heroes for Hire movie (like you're describing) would work. they could get away with a crossover of Iron Fist and Luke Cage; after presenting both solo properties. but i think it'd be wrongheaded to try to shoehorn Shang into the Heroes for Hire mold. he's not a hired hero. he's a secret agent. he has a cast of his own and an agenda. Misty could appear first in Cage's movie (and maybe even as a linking character in Daredevil and/or Punisher as part of the NYPD). Colleen could appear in Iron Fist; as the daughter of a professor researching Kunlun. and then those two could meet and team up in the Iron Fist/Cage crossover. but that's just how i would do it.

8. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

The only kung-fu flicks that did well in the past few years are Kung Fu Panda and the Kung-Fu Kid which is a remake.

9. blalex620

blalex620 Comics, Books, Games

We won't be seeing any of the more violent hardcore heroes til at least 2020 if even then. And I think Marvel would introduce Luke Cage and Iron Fist together as Heroes for Hire if they did a movie first. The only way I could see them introduced separately is if they introduced them on the S.H.I.E.L.D. show.

10. cherokeesam

Ideally, my dream scenario would be for Marvel to create a TV-MA cable series for Heroes for Hire with Cage and Rand as the core characters, and a rotating ensemble of other "Marvel Knights," including Daredevil, Moon Knight, Punisher, Blade and even Ghost Rider with recurring (albeit not truly permanent) roles.

11. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Well-Known Member

why not Shang Chi? As long as he's not played by Johnny Depp.

12. T"Challa

T"Challa Well-Known Member

Yeah, Marvel can make lower budget movies for street heroes like Shang Chi, Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil etc. Most of these could be done for 20-30 million.

13. cherokeesam

That was originally part of Marvel Studios' plan, according to Avi back before the Avengers came out. They planned to release "small" budget (20-30 million) films in addition to the blockbuster range of 150(ish) million budgets. So far, that strategy has never been realized; and it's a damn shame, considering how many great street-level heroes Marvel has on the shelf gathering dust --- Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Blade, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Cloak & Dagger, Elektra...

14. Endeavor

This

15. Endeavor

2 words: Kill Bill

16. T"Challa

Agreed. The Raid had a budget of 1 million. If you make a Shang Chi movie of that caliber and slap the Marvel logo on it, you could be looking at a very profitable movie.

17. T"Challa

Heroes for Hire is practically begging for a TV show. Its the perfect concept and setup for a procedural.

18. Hypestyle

not sure why this hasn't had more momentum yet. The Fu Manchu legal hassle can't be the hang-up. Just name his dad something else.

19. Hypestyle

now that The Wolverine has succeeded, there is less of an excuse to explore some martial arts action in the MCU, especially in exotic locales.

20. Endeavor

I wanted the Ninja clan to be named as The Hand. I guess they saved it for another story... there is a 2 year gap to explore... Probably Yukio and him will head to Madripoor.

21. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

sounds decent. But I still want a Punisher movie under Marvel.

22. CyclopsWasRight

CyclopsWasRight Well, he was.

Iron Fist > Shang Chi

23. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I suspect they couldn't name it the Hand. The Hand rights were almost certainly part of the Daredevil license, and they lost that last year.

24. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I would generally agree. However, I think Shang Chi would be a little easier to adapt, in a "do it quick and cheap" sense. Iron Fist would require a great deal more effort, because there are more ( and more fantastic ) necessary mythos efforts. Plus the tone being really critical to get right.

25. Hypestyle

I wonder does the guy who played Han in the Fast & Furious movies know about Shang Chi? Especially after the end of pt. 6, I guess he's open to new franchise possibilities.