Shang-Chi SPOILERS Thread

It's the number one thing that entered my mind as I walked out of the theater. Both Tony and Wenwu have some pretty key differences from their comics counterpart, but how they're adapted I still really can see a compelling antagonistic relationship if they had the opportunity. However we kind of had to go through the Iron Man 3 fiasco in order for Fiege to be so determined to get the Mandarin right and unfortunately by then the narrative just couldn't fit this adaptation earlier so they could get Tony and Wenwu together.

If anything I kind of wish we saw more of Wenwu's villainous exploits both before and after Li's death.

Agreed and that part is unfortunate. I more or less think of Killian as the Melter at this point, lol. I am really happy with how Wenwu turned out in this movie though. He exceeded my expectations

After sleeping on it, I liked this a little bit less. Still a very solid entry into the MCU and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Shang-Chi himself but the third act really drags it down for me. I was pretty much loving the first two acts but once Trevor shows up the movie really does come to a halt and the climax was too CGI heavy and just ugly to look at.

The movie was at its best when it focused on the more grounded martial arts angle and less the crazy mystical stuff.

Nan briefly mentioned other cities like Ta Lo. Possible that K'hun Lun is one of them?

The good news is that there's no Val in the post credits recruiting Blonsky.......at least not until She Hulk.

Everyone's talking about the bus sequence but for my money the bambo tower set piece was where the movie peaked. I was grinning the whole time, just excellent camera work and fight choreography and hooo mama when it climaxed with that one on one duel between Shang and that ninja...THAT was some near Raid level fight choreography going on. I wanted more of that.

Everyone's talking about the bus sequence but for my money the bambo tower set piece was where the movie peaked. I was grinning the whole time, just excellent camera work and fight choreography and hooo mama when it climaxed with that one on one duel between Shang and that ninja...THAT was some near Raid level fight choreography going on. I wanted more of that.
Agreed. Both sequences were great but that scene was next level. Unfortunately it became too CGI ugliness in the final battle

The good news is that there's no Val in the post credits recruiting Blonsky.......at least not until She Hulk.
Seemed like Wong and Abomination were working together like a fixed match. They left together too, I don't thin k Blonsky is as terrible. They can be discrete but Banner would know Abomination is out in the world, they record these events dark web or not.

To be honest, I did not think that Shang Chi was going to interact with any Avengers until the sequel, so the mid credits scene was surprising. Him meeting Wong was not because when I saw Wong in the second trailer, I thought that Wong was going to be the first MCU character Shang Chi was going to meet but before that, I had predicted a certain San Francisco based FBI agent last seen in WandaVision.

It didn't take long, but the MCU Wiki Page on Bruce Banner changed his main photo from his End Game poster to his Infinity War poster.

I thought it was a better movie than Black Widow, and I thought that Black Widow was good. Is it a groundbreaking cultural film like Black Panther was? Yes and no. It might be a groundbreaking film for certain parts of the Asian American community, but the Asian American community is so diverse, that it's not going to have the cultural impact that Black Panther had.

I’m curious where the transmission of the rings beacon is being delivered too. Wong doesn’t seem to recognize the pattern, neither does Carol or Bruce.

I’m curious where the transmission of the rings beacon is being delivered too. Wong doesn’t seem to recognize the pattern, neither does Carol or Bruce.
Would have to think Fin Fang Foom. Probably sent the Soul Reaper things.

This movie was ****ing insane. I'm glad the trailers didn't spoil anything. During the whole 3rd act and When the Great Protector was fighting that Soul sucking demon Bat, while Shang Chi and her sister helped and Shang Chi with the final death blow had me going like....

giphy.gif

So with that post credit scene in mind with Xialing… is sis still a good guy or is she heading down the primrose path?

So with that post credit scene in mind with Xialing… is sis still a good guy or is she heading down the primrose path?
I think she's being set up as one of the villains in the sequel. The way they said "the Ten Rings will return" made me think so.

My friend and I sort of got the impression that Rings were sending a signal to the Eternals and maybe Phastus made them.

My friend and I sort of got the impression that Rings were sending a signal to the Eternals and maybe Phastus made them.
Eternals was originally going to come out before this though

Considering she was running a underground fighting ring. They will probably be mercs or like an Akatsuki of MCU.If good people pay them they will do good, if bad they will do bad. They are not going to conquer nations like Mandarin.

I think she's being set up as one of the villains in the sequel. The way they said "the Ten Rings will return" made me think so.

I definitely think there is going to be conflict between, her and shang chi regarding the ten rings in the next sequel.

I don't think she'll be a villain, but I do expect her and Shang Chi to butt heads. I'm remembering her line to Shang Chi about how his time in America made him weak. She has a much more violent and aggressive worldview than Shang Chi does.

Last edited:
I know this isn’t the review thread but just some overall thoughts with spoilers:

Had a pretty good time with this movie, overall. Definitely looking forward to a sequel/ seeing the characters again in the MCU (Shang, Katy, and Xialing). Including Wong as a supporting character moving forward could be fun as well.

The Abomination/Wong fight seemed fixed as others are suggesting? I didn’t understand why that’d be the case; maybe the MCU is reconfiguring Blonsky as reformed/anti-hero ahead of the debut of whatever team Val is putting together? Not sure how I feel about that, to be honest. I like having straight-up villains in these movies, like Crossbones. Even Razor-Fist ends up helping the heroes in this movie.

And was Trevor Slattery necessary at all? I mean, he’s a terrorist—the characters even say as such. And yes I get he wasn’t clean at the time and he implies that Killian was manipulating him in Iron Man Three, but come on. What kind of mileage are we actually getting out of this character? There was much more interesting things the film could have been focusing on in Act II.

The writers needed to figure out a better way for the heroes to find a path to Ta Lo; at this point in the story, the mystical creature was very jarring; though, I suppose we already saw Abomination. It felt off. As the characters journeyed to Ta Lo, I thought the movie went down a weird path for a while, with Slattery acting as some weird sage character almost? Interpreting mystic creatures and directing our heroes? Weird choice for the character, if you ask me.

The creature from Ta Lo could have easily ‘spoken’ directly to Shang-Chi and Xialing, recognizing them as the children of Ying Li, and then Shang could sit shotgun and give Katy directions through the forest.

Wenwu was a great villain but I wanted more of him, the Ten Rings (the bands and the criminal organization), and his spiral into madness. Maybe it would have helped if we saw his visions too? It would have been interesting if we (the audience) and Shang Chi were genuinely torn between believing his father and her mother’s people. Could his mother actually be alive? Just a thought; the plot seemed very cut-and-dry and I think there were opportunities to add nuance in some places.

Awkwafina as Katy really surprised me; she was a fun inclusion and didn’t impede any action or plot development. Was excited to see her invited along Shang by Wong and included in the post-credits scene. I wonder where her story continues; seems like she’ll be an archer? Though I could Marvel avoid treading on Hawkeye’s turf and see Katy acting more as Shang’s Robin—a “monkey wrench” (as Frank Miller put in in TDKR) to aid situations while he does the heavy fighting.

Kudos to the movie when Shang admitted that actually did kill that man as his father sent him to do. It gave the character pathos and helped differentiate him from the squeaky clean heroes of the MCU. I was expecting the lost souls to return to bodies after the final battle, so I was happy that this movie wasn’t shy about highlighting the death toll the Ten Rings’ crusade wrought.

The last scene with Xialing seemed to be filmed after the crew saw the end of Mandalorian S2 and the tease for Boba Fett—with her in the chair and assuming control of a criminal empire. It was cool nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"