The Flash Shantal VanSanten IS Patty Spivot

I agree that she should have lasted longer, at least given time to grow. She benefits from Barry's identity. Iris offers nothing to contribute. Patty had skills but I think the potential was wasted. Shantel and Grant have amazing chemistry. It sucks, the writers could have done so much more with her character, she's a strong enough actress to pull it off.

Do we know for sure Patty isn't coming back? I know she's not credited in any more eps this season.

At this point, I think the better move would be to run the other way. Barry is a great hero, but he's a *terrible* boyfriend.

Patty Started off great as a character however when her and Barry became serious and his job as The Flash begun to interfere with their relationship I feel she kinda took a nose dive in the way her character when from this strong woman to a girl that was needy and kinda selfish ala lana lang smallville. Which hurt because I liked Patty but she just disintegrated as a character towards the end of her run.

How was Patty selfish?

Y'all are *terrible*. She drops an "I'm leaving" bomb on him and he's the bad guy?

Girl tells me she's leaving I'm telling her to have a nice life, not crawling on my knees and asking her to stay. Barry's too old for that ****. I'm glad he's growing a backbone.

She dropped the "I'm leaving bomb" after Barry canceled/screwed several rendez-vous with her at the last minute and was acting really weird. Also the writers didn't do her any favor with the typical : tell me everything about you after a couple of dates.
She was too smart for Barry. At least she left knowing the truth.

Lol whuut? He's the Goddamn Flash. Is he supposed to let people die so he can go on a date? Is he supposed to pull a HISHE Batman and tell every girl that smiles at him his secret identity? Never mind that he has the childhood trauma of watching red lightning stab his mom and frame his dad. He should be an open book for a girl he's been dating for a month...

Never said he should reveal his hero ID only that writing Patsy that way ( demanding full truth after few dates ) didn't do her any favor.

Barry really needs to stop dating until he can learn to balance being the Flash with his love life.

Barry really needs to stop dating until he can learn to balance being the Flash with his love life.

The writers need to stick the comic myths and characters and lay off the relationship stuff that they can't seem to handle on any of their shows.

Barry should stop dating until he's willing to actually be *honest* with a love interest. If you don't trust them to know about what you do, you shouldn't be sleeping with them.

They really botched the handling of that relationship. I feel like they initially wanted to keep them together longer, but for whatever reason, they needed to rush her out the door.

You don't show that a couple had moved to the point of sleeping together, and then bring in trust issues at the same time, because that's so contradictory to what they're trying to establish about the relationship.

So, how long is a CSI/forensic science degree? 3-4 years?

Goodbye Patty/Shantal. ;_;

I think her character caught on, as so often happens with tv in general, more than the showrunners originally thought she would. I don't think they ever intended on her being a regular, but the actress has alot of personality and great chemistry with Grant , and her character went over well with alot of the fans, more so than Linda did imo.

You also have the added problem of late feedback from the audience since they film these episodes way ahead of time without really being able to judge how the audience will react to certain characters. By the time the episodes air the season is usually mostly in the can, so they can't really course correct in real time if a character like Patty is popular and the fan reaction in negative to removing her from the series.

I have no doubt she'll be back in the future , but hopefully if they do plan to introduce yet another non Iris love interest, they'll try to take their time with it and not try to rush the relationship or the character out of the door.

Or maybe some awkward cameo. Maybe she'll bring knowledge of something down the road.

I'm sure she will be back soon. She is "Barry's Felicity" after all.

honestly this girl has to be one of the most attractive working actresses

a true 10

Patty was a fun character, though it seemed like they took Barry's character and changed genders. From their interest and likes to personality and even their life ambition "I want to get justice for my father" was the same. I don't feel they really tried to make Patty her own character. I think they were trying to make her as likeable as possible because they knew she was temporary. Before season 2 even began one of the producers said they would put Barry in a sweet relationship and then mess it all up. Plus Shantel's imdb page since the beginning of the season showed that she had been cast in another show. So a lot of us knew she wouldn't be around long. Plus the writers have already alluded that Iris is Barry's lightning rod so that kind of spells the end for any other romantic relationship.

Some of ya'll said Patty was the perfect woman for Barry. I don't agree and I certainly don't think Barry was a good man for Patty. He easily lied to her, ditched her (he had to of course), and in the end didn't trust her with his identity. His reason that it would keep her safe from Zoom was as stupid as it was last season with Iris. Zoom already knows his identity. He already knows the Flash is Barry Allen. He could attack Patty or Iris any time he wants. Them knowing his identity isn't going to put them in any less or more danger. .

Barry second rated her too. His reason for not wanting to date her initially was because she wasn't Iris. He measured her against Iris and decided that, yes Patty's cute and adorable but she's not Iris. Couldn't get invested in the relationship at that point. I was waiting for another Linda situation, where Barry's in love with another woman but decides to start a relationship with someone else.

Seriously this isn't the most important thing in the show to worry about.

Last edited:
Im surprised and happy to see that her career has certainly gone way up since just disappearing from the show.

Im surprised and happy to see that her career has certainly gone way up since just disappearing from the show.

Agreed. Personally, I still wish that we could have gotten Patty to stay and become Barry's permanent love interest on this show.

Despite Candice being great in her role, I could never got behind the couple due to their weird background as being foster siblings. The whole "We are the Flash" shtick didn't help either.

Plus, I still don't understand Barry's logic with breaking up with Patty. If you're going to use the whole "too dangerous if you knew the truth" card, then Barry should stay single for the rest of his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"