Shawn Ryan and Eddie Murphy bringing "Beverly Hills Cop" to TV

This show needs some Honorable Judge Reinhold
[YT]CGbgAisf6_c[/YT]

whatever happened to him?... haven't seen him in YEARS...

and whatever happened to the guy who played Taggart?... he seems to have disappeared, as well...

It would definitely be a better fit on FX. I just hope CBS appreciates what Murphy and Ryan are trying to do with this and don't try to turn it into just another procedural.

As for Jackson, :up:. I thought he was great on Tropic Thunder.

Has Jackson been officially confirmed yet?

It's gotten so bad for Eddie Murphy he HAS to go to TV now.

Jackson was good in Tropic Thunder. Unfortunately that was the last good movie he was in.

It's gotten so bad for Eddie Murphy he HAS to go to TV now.

He could've saved himself alot of pain and embarassment if he came to TV a long time ago... Even if it was a ****ty multicam sitcom from Chuck Lorre, at least that's somewhat more respectable than garbage like Norbit or Meet Dave.

CBS is moving ahead with another NCIS spinoff so where do you think BHC will end up on the schedule?

Mondays 10/9c after their comedy block pushing out Hawaii Five-0 to another night?

Tuesdays 10/9c after the NCIS Power Hours pushing CSI to Fridays?

Wednesdays 9/8c in Criminal Minds spot which would move back an hour?

Thursdays 9/8c after their highest rated comedies in Person of Interest's spot?

Cancel:
Vegas
CSI:NY
The Good Wife

I have an idea for who should direct the pilot: Jon Favreau. He can do action-comedy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01...s-cop-tv-series-and-eddie-murphys-involvement
CBS President Talks Beverly Hills Cop TV Series and Eddie Murphy's Involvement
How often will Murphy do the Neutron Dance?

by Eric Goldman JANUARY 12, 2013

One of the more high-profile pilots CBS has in the works for the next season is Beverly Hills Cop - a sequel to the film series, in which Axel Foley’s police officer son, Aaron (played by Brandon T. Jackson), comes to Beverly Hills. Eddie Murphy is an executive producer on the project, alongside writer Shawn Ryan (The Shield, Last Resort), and will guest star as Axel, who is now the chief of police in Detroit.

Today, at the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour, I asked CBS president Nina Tassler if Murphy had indicated how often he’d be willing to appear, should Beverly Hills Cop go to series. Replied Tassler, “He has. He’s in the pilot and he said he wants to come back multiple times during the first order [of episodes].”

As for how you approach putting Beverly Hills Cop, which was an R-rated film, on TV, Tassler said, “I think that you’ve got a show that is a relationship show. Obviously, the language they used in the movie we can’t and wouldn’t use on TV. For us, it’s really about the juxtaposition of a guy who’s a fish out of water in Beverly Hills. There’s a lot of comedy on the Beverly Hills police force yet to be mined, so we’re looking forward to that.”

Billy needs to be the boss in L.A.

Last edited:
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...he-series-finale-beverly-hills-cop-and-more/3

Well, this ends a few days after CBS bought your "Beverly Hills Cop" pilot. It's a beloved pre-existing property. What can you say about it? And what are things you can look at with this show that fill you with confidence that maybe this time, after the last few, something will be different.

Shawn Ryan: The biggest piece of confidence I have is that I've really been wrecked three different times: once on "Lie to Me," when I ran it for a year, then "Chicago Code" and now "Last Resort," where I've had to go up against my friend Bill Prady's show "Big Bang Theory." The best thing I can say about this is it would be on CBS, so they can't put me on against that show. So I feel good about that. When we sold the show in the summer, I still had high hopes that "Last Resort" would be successful. In my mind, this was going to be a palate cleanser from that, very different. I always try to do things that are different from other things I've done in the past. And you could say this is another cop show, and I've done "The Shield" and "Chicago Code." But this is very different tonally. I've always wanted to do something more comedic, I've tried to sell several sitcoms in the last 6-7 years and couldn't get them made. This is sort of a backdoor way in which the studio and network feels comfortable, because of my resume, to give me a shot at doing something more comedic.

Shawn Ryan: I think you and I are both fans of a certain genre of movies in the 1980s, the "Beverly Hills Cop," "Midnight Run" kinda thing. And this is my shot at doing that on TV. Can you do visceral realistic grounded police work and action intermixed with real grounded, funny humor? A lot of movies and TV shows skew too comedic in my mind, and as a result, they feel too light and don't have stakes, and the bullets don't feel real and the stakes don't feel real. This is my attempt to get that alchemy right. This is another high-wire act. I never seem to give myself easy tasks in that regard, and living up to an iconic movie like that is going to be very difficult. But I like the high degree of difficulty tasks. I think we've got a real star in Brandon Jackson. I really really dig him and his acting and his sense of humor. I really bonded with him the last couple of months. It's the first time I've written a script where we already had the lead. It's a lot like a movie in a way, where you're crafting the character to the actor. I really enjoyed that.

Listen, it's going to be a CBS procedural. We're going to solve a case every week, but we're going to do it with a lot of humor and a lot of fun. And I would say the stealth thing I would like to get in is, in a day and age when income inequality and class inequities dominate a lot of the country, this is going to be an opportunity to put a young working-class kid in Detroit in the middle of Beverly Hills, you can do a lot of stealth social commentary.

What people remember about "Beverly Hills Cop" is the banana in the tail pipe, and Bronson Pinchot, and Axel making a big scene at the hotel check-in desk. A lot of that movie is really dark and really violent.

Shawn Ryan: Well, it was supposed to be a Sylvester Stallone movie until about three weeks before it started shooting.

So how are you going to approach that balance?

Shawn Ryan: My approach is to update it and make it feel modern and 2013. The pilot opens with a 4-5 minute sequence which I think is really harrowing and really dangerous, that would be something that you might have seen on "Chicago Code" or "The Shield." I want it to feel grounded in that way. There'll be some opportunities for laughs after that. It's not a laughs come first show. What I loved about the movie, when I talked with Eddie Murphy a lot about what he thought worked about it, is that when he would walk into a scene, you really didn't have an idea, 10 seconds in, whether it was going to be funny or dangerous or violent or silly. It could go in any direction. They didn't tip it. And a lot of the comedy in that movie is played in two shots without a lot of cutting. They just let it play. They don't use the cutting to accentuate the humor, which a lot of modern-day comedy does. It just played. If it played funny, it was funny, and if it played less funny, the audience didn't notice the strain of trying to make you laugh. That's a lot of what I'm going to try to bring to this. Obviously, we have to hire a director, and the director will be a huge part of how this plays tonally, but there's a lot to admire from that era, but there's also a lot that could be updated and modernized as well.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/kevin-pollack-joins-cbs-beverly-hills-cop/
Kevin Pollack Joins CBS’ ‘Beverly Hills Cop’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Kevin Pollack has been cast in CBS’ Beverly Hills Cop pilot, from Shawn Ryan, Eddie Murphy and Sony Pictures TV. The hourlong project, a continuation of the movie franchise, centers around Axel Foley’s police officer son Aaron (Brandon T. Jackson), who takes down the criminal elements of the rich and famous in Beverly Hills. Pollack, repped by Buchwald/Fortitude and Evolution, will play Rodney Daloof, the irritating and incredibly risk-adverse in-house attorney for the Beverly Hills Police Department, a sticker for rules and a loud mouth. Like Jackson and Murphy, who will guest star in the pilot, Pollack comes from a standup background.
I approve of this. :up:

If there is a way to write in a Shatner/Walken/Williams impression per episode, then awesome.

*crosses fingers*

God help me but I'm cautiously optimistic about a police procedural on CBS. At the very least I'll be showing up for whatever sweeps or finale episode has father and son teaming up.

they need to bring back Judge Reinhold. perhaps have him be Captain of the LAPD or something.

I don't like the implication that him doing TV is the bottom of the barrel for his career. There's NO WAY this show could possibly be worse than Norbit or Meet Dave. No way in hell.

Shoot, he first got famous on tv. Plus he's produced or executive produced tv shows before, even back when people still liked his movies.

I'm a HUGE fan of Beverly Hills Cop and this doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Everytime I see his kid I'll be wanting to see Axel in Detroit, or wishing he were causing havoc in LA with Reinhold and Ashton. I'll check it out, but I'm not expecting much.

I'm still wondering who they're going to get to direct this thing. I have a scary feeling that it's going to be Brett Ratner, considering his prior involvement with trying to make a fourth movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"