Shekhar Kapur Helming Larklight

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=43556
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
April 1, 2008

Shekhar Kapur has signed on to develop and direct Larklight, a period fantasy Di Novi Pictures is producing for Warner Bros.

Kapur, who most recently directed and wrote Elizabeth: The Golden Age, is working with writer Steven Knight (Eastern Promises) to adapt Philip Reeve's novel.

The 2006 book, set in a Victorian-era alternate universe in which mankind has been exploring the solar system since the time of Isaac Newton, revolves around a brother and sister who team with a band of renegade space pirates to save the world from destruction at the hands of a madman.

"It's a $200 million project, probably the most expensive film I've made and will ever make," Kapur said.

Denise Di Novi is producing while Alison Greenspan is executive producing.

Never heard of the book but it sounds ok, hell of a budget though. :huh:

Yeah, like... this millennium's mega-flop... Battlefield Earth anyone? :D

Looks like it got a new director:

Let the Right One In Helmer Takes on Larklight

Source: Heat Vision
October 5, 2010

Let the Right One In helmer Tomas Alfredson will direct Larklight for Warner Bros. Pictures and Di Novi Pictures.

The film will be based on Philip Reeve's novel, set in a Victorian-era alternate universe in which mankind has been exploring the solar system since the time of Isaac Newton. It revolves around a brother and sister who team with a band of renegade space pirates to save the world from destruction at the hands of a madman.

Steve Knight (Eastern Promises) is rewriting the script to the project. Shekhar Kapur was previously attached to direct.

Alfredson is currently shooting Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Basically Warner Bros. was like, "Get somebody foreign!"

The 2006 book, set in a Victorian-era alternate universe in which mankind has been exploring the solar system since the time of Isaac Newton, revolves around a brother and sister who team with a band of renegade space pirates to save the world from destruction at the hands of a madman.

That is quite possibly one of the greatest premises I've ever heard of. I'm going to track down this book.

Oh, and I guess I'm looking forward to the movie.

Shekar Kapur... wtf is wrong with this person, he's such a talented director but he jumps from one project to the next

I'm most angry that he didn't do A Long Walk to Freedom with Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela... pathetic...

Shekar Kapur... wtf is wrong with this person, he's such a talented director but he jumps from one project to the next

I'm most angry that he didn't do A Long Walk to Freedom with Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela... pathetic...

Says the dude who was stupidly talking **** about TRON a few months back. Just chill.

I hope this project goes somewhere b/c it sounds amazing.

Movielord, just chill? lol how about you get your logic straight as it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... Tron has nothing to do with this... I was talking about a director who keeps jumping ship on various projects

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with Tron... so get your logic straight and be relevant to the topic or stay out... I might as well just report your post cuz it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the thread lol...

I have no idea how this will turn out. The characters jump from one place to another, and I believe a lot have to be cut to make it work as a film.

But the book surely presents interesting locations. Not only space itself, but Luna, Venus, Tellus, Mars, Io, Jupiter etc

I must say I kinda disagree with tzarinna and fabman. Larklight isn't doomed to fail at box office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"