Hype Survivor SHH! Survivor 28: I'm a Marvel, and I'm a DC - Issue #13: Just for Kicks!!!

Still I would have preffered to lose a tie breaker to an actual challenge and not something you never stated in your challenge pm. I feel like I just got hosed.

Kind of, but the Phoenix thing has been done a lot. With those same power combos, too. I liked your character, but I had that I felt like we've seen this with her. Matt's I also felt worked in a lot more Marvel heroes in a clever way.

So, since we're waiting on the results, now seems as good of time as any to reveal this teaser that I threw together for the next game.

Survivor29.png

Stay tuned for further announcements as this game winds down :woot:

On one hand, you're hosting again. Which is good, I liked you as host. On the other hand, this means I might have to sign up again. Which I'm not sure I want to do yet.

Lastly is Matt's submission:

Here is what our judges had to say:

Nirvana : This is really good. Very engaging back story that actually had me interested. It definitely felt like a legitimate comic book origin. The name and costume needs some work, but over all, great all around. Oh, and minus one point for spelling Elektra wrong. 8/10

Bnightwing : The idea is a tad bit confusing about her meeting the Punisher, and becoming under his wing. I give you a 5/10 for the name, origin, and design.

ImmortalFire : I like this, simply put. At first glance, I wasn't too sure of what I thought was basically a female Punisher. After all, there's only one Punisher. But I find the origin story to be very well written and convincing, but also different (in a good way) given her plan for taking down the mob and masked vigilantes. The artwork has a good sense a real life to it, plus keeping that graphic comic look to it. A well done piece, but not a lady I'd take home to meet mother.
SCORE for THE ENFORCER: 8

That gives Matt a score of: 21 points

Matt is in the lead, but there is still a matter of bonus points!!!

Your submission made me laugh, lol. But in a WTF kind of way.

My personal fave of the bunch was Matt's. His character was the deepest, most well rounded, and I felt had the most original thought behind it.

I'm honestly very suprised that people are responding so positively. I wasn't very happy with how it turned out as I rushed it (though I will admit, as I workshopped the idea a bit, I did actually start to like the basic idea and if I wrote fanfiction would definitely consider using Enforcer in the future...but I don't ;)). At any rate, thanks for all the kind words everyone :)

But just for the record, they were all great and I am glad we had the bonus points as after reading all of them, I gotta say the judges got it wrong and the best submission ultimately did win. Congrats CC. You deserve it :up:

Still I would have preffered to lose a tie breaker to an actual challenge and not something you never stated in your challenge pm. I feel like I just got hosed.

We actually knew that tie breakers were determined by speed. Remember the Flash powerup? When we received that, SF told us that it could be used to subtract two hours from our submission time which would help us in a tie breaker scenario. Its still in our camp, I believe.

On one hand, you're hosting again. Which is good, I liked you as host. On the other hand, this means I might have to sign up again. Which I'm not sure I want to do yet.

Well thanks Squirrel. I hope you do play :up: There will actually be another host as well, but he will be revealed in time. :yay:

We actually knew that tie breakers were determined by speed. Remember the Flash powerup? When we received that, SF told us that it could be used to subtract two hours from our submission time which would help us in a tie breaker scenario. Its still in our camp, I believe.

What the hell are you talking about? That has nothing to do with this.

I ask again, did it say anywhere in this challenge pm that a tie breaker would be determined by a time it was submitted? It just would have been nice if the hosts actually took the remaining players into consideration and have an actual tie breaking challenge ready. Instead of this lame ash reason.

But I know what disagreeing does, absolutely NOTHING so I will just shut up and accept it despite its obvious flaw.

Kind of, but the Phoenix thing has been done a lot. With those same power combos, too. I liked your character, but I had that I felt like we've seen this with her. Matt's I also felt worked in a lot more Marvel heroes in a clever way.

yeah i'm not too happy with what i came up with to an extent, because i was so pressed for time. the 48 hrs would've been up before i got home and i would've been dq'ed, so i stayed up longer than i wanted, wrote something up and submitted. i did enjoy drawing the sketch on paper. old school ftw. i wanted to upload to photoshop and color it, maybe do a glowing effect and all, but like i said i didn't have the time. i started a new job this week, that i really like.

but kudos to everyone else's entries. there's some top notch work there :up:

What the hell are you talking about? That has nothing to do with this.

I ask again, did it say anywhere in this challenge pm that a tie breaker would be determined by a time it was submitted? It just would have been nice if the hosts actually took the remaining players into consideration and have an actual tie breaking challenge ready. Instead of this lame ash reason.

Each host determines their own tie breaker and time is a fairly consistent one. When we received our Flash power-up it said that time was tie breaker in challenges. Plus I believe it was mentioned at another point that we could resubmit for a challenge but the new time would be what is considered and that could hurt us in a tie breaker. Its pretty well established that time is the tie breaker in this game. What reason did you have to assume it changed?

yeah i'm not too happy with what i came up with to an extent, because i was so pressed for time. the 48 hrs would've been up before i got home and i would've been dq'ed, so i stayed up longer than i wanted, wrote something up and submitted. i did enjoy drawing the sketch on paper. old school ftw. i wanted to upload to photoshop and color it, maybe do a glowing effect and all, but like i said i didn't have the time. i started a new job this week, that i really like.

but kudos to everyone else's entries. there's some top notch work there :up:

Your sketch is great :up:

I think your character easily looked the best. I am seriously jealous of your drawing ability :csad:

Each host determines their own tie breaker and time is a fairly consistent one. When we received our Flash power-up it said that time was tie breaker in challenges. Plus I believe it was mentioned at another point that we could resubmit for a challenge but the new time would be what is considered and that could hurt us in a tie breaker. Its pretty well established that time is the tie breaker in this game. What reason did you have to assume it changed?

I'm not going to argue with everyone and quote posts, but I don't think submission time is an unreasonable tie-breaker. I made a power-up that was about that potential tie-breaker, I have time and time again said you may always resubmit but it can hurt you in a tie, and I am not the only host to do tie-breakers like this. You have been warned throughout the game that submission time might matter in certain challenges. Normally, I like a tie-breaker to fit the challenge, and in an artistic based challenge, what kind of extra activity am I going to have you do? If this wasn't a challenge that relied on submissions in a given time period, this likely wouln't have been the tie-breaker. But, in this challenge, I think this was a perfectly fair tie-breaker.

That was a pretty crappy tie-breaker, especially for this level of the game.

And looking over the submissions I'm kinda surprised by how it turned out. All three were pretty good (not that Kane's was bad, but it wasn't a very complete submission and had no chance of winning in the greater scheme of things).

I feel that Powder's was the best. It was the most original with a good look. I could see Cricket teaming with Invincible if Image were allowed. Enforcer was interesting, and I have no complaints about the character, but it's just not really my thing. Not a big Punisher type of comic fan. If she were closer linked to Daredevil as the trainer and her less Punisher-like I'd probably like her more, but that's just personal taste moreso than fault on Matt's part.

CC's, as much of an X-Men fan as I am, was the weakest of the three, and I'm very surprised that she won to be honest. It was well done, and that drawing is fantastic, but the character's fairly dime a dozen these days. There's been tons of characters come out of Cable's future already (Cable, Blaquesmith, Sanctity, Ch'vare, others that I can't think of at the moment) and the character's powers are very typical for the area of her origin. The Phoenix emblem has shown up on Jean, Emma, Rachel, Psylocke, Tatoo, I think the Cuckoos, and I WANT to say the baby who is now Hope... though that might be in solicits and not actual issues, but I could be wrong. And there's a specific mention of Cyclops, but that doesn't really make me think sidekick as much as it is a student like any other that he's paying special attention to. I mean, I'd like the story just fine if it were going on, but for what this challenge asked, compared to Matt's and especially Powders... I'm just surprised with how this turned out.

Oh well... congrats nonetheless.

Last edited:
Here is what our judges thought:

Nirvana : Jesus, I didn't even read half of what was posted at first. I went back to be fair, but honestly, do you really expect people to read all that? And further more, the Cricket? Not to mention he looks like Kick-ash. There is a lot of creativity behind it, but way too much effort. 5/10

Can I just say that I think Nirvana is the worst judge we've had this season? And that's not even a biased comment based on my wanting Powder to win. I'd say this if this comment was left for anyone remaining.

First off, it's a character bio that shows some depth and creativity for the character. Where in any ruling did it say "Create a character and explain it in 15 words or less."? SF, Chase... why do you pick judges who would have trouble reading small newspaper article? There's even pictures to entertain them with?! And what the heck is wrong with Cricket? He's a sidekick. Is Robin so much more masculine?! I thought it fit the theme of the challenge very well, but that's more an opinion issue I suppose.

And to fault Powder for putting too much effort into it?! Are you serious? Nirvana expects a rush job of generic proportions apparently than something with depth. That's twice now this season that Powder's gotten screwed over over due to the level of depth that he put into the submission.

Not counting my biasness, I think Powder's submission was flawless. Matt's was near the same level if not for Powder having a handdrawn sketch and Matt not. And even though I feel CC's submission lacks originality.... none of the three deserved a 5! All three were at least 7's.

Congrats CC!

Me caring what JH thinks: None.

Me caring what Nirvana caring about what I think: None.

* and apparently I doubly don't care.

Honestly, he isn't wrong. If you can't pay attention longer than 3 minutes to read something through (and yes I can read through it in 3 minutes - and its not too far off what the others submitted), penalize me for being thorough with my details and the only one to make it creative than you should NEVER be a judge again. This is not only the benefit of the players but for yourself as well.

I was expecting to see someone like Darthphere, Corpulent, Phaedrus, Harlekin, Wiegeabo, Sparta, Anubis, Franklin Richards, Silicon Surfer, or one of a 100 other people who don't have the attention span of a gnat. You know someone who has actually read a Character bio in their life. If you think my bio was long you obviously have never read any.

Thank you Fire and bnightwing, I thought you were fair with your comments.

As for it the tie breaker being decided by time. Again whenever time has mattered, EVERY time it mattered, you had put in your instructions that a tie breaker will be decided by the time. Each challenge in this game has been different, some challenges depended on the time (AND HAVE BEEN STATED) and others have not.

I think its a disgraceful way to let a challenge this late in the game be decided by something so trivial and without warning because you are too lazy to come up a proper one. But we might as well just shut up now because it won't change anything, and I have lost interests in the rest of this game.

Last edited:
I'm not about to sit here and defend my judging. If you even read what I wrote, I said I went back to read it to be fair. I was asked to judge based on what I liked, and "The Cricket" didn't cut it. But who knows, maybe if I paid more attention to his weight or citizenship it would have won me over. :whatever:

I picked my judges for a reason, and they judged how they saw fit. You can disagree with their judging, doesn't matter much. Furthermore, time has mattered on EVERY artistic challenge in this game. Why would this be any different?

I'm not getting into an argument with you guys.

I have been busy this weekend but I just saw the submissions and they were awesome! Congrats to CC for the win.

Also, every single one of our challenges have been time based. There has been no challenge that if there was a tie, another challenge would happen. We have said multiple times that first received takes priority. If it needs to be said every challenge, then I apologize for not clarifying that more.

I am still waiting on vote(s)

I am going for a few hours to watch a movie. See you guys in about 2 hours :up:

Results time!

Vote #1

Matt!!!

Vote #2

Powder-Man!!!

Vote #3

Powder-Man!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"