Shield, [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by hoy-small-fry, Apr 4, 2014.

?

Was it too soon to remove SHIELD from the MCU?

1. Yes, it needed more establishing time

2. Don't care, viva la revolution!

3. No, SHIELD had gone as far as it could go

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hoy-small-fry It's a dance-off bro!

Spoilers ahoy, so you know, go watch Winter Soldier first...

:cap::cap::cap::cap::cap:

First off, I loved the SHIELD/HYDRA twist in TWS - it paid off a huge plot point from Cap 1, and reintroduced a serious threat to the heroes, so thumbs up for that.

But does anyone else think it was a little too soon in the grand scheme of things? I mean, we've had 2, maybe 3 establishing movies regarding SHIELD (IM2, Avengers and Cap 1 potentially), and while Agents of SHIELD is giving us a glimpse of little SHIELD, we never really got to know what the agency did and did not do. With it now in shambles (presumably with a view to return), is it just me who thinks the fall of SHIELD could have done with a bigger build-up?

It reminds me a lot of Malekith in The Dark World - he's allegedly this huge threat, but he's dealt with straight away. In terms of SHIELD, they're a huge organisation but 4 hours after first seeing them, bam, down comes their HQ...

2. Panther X Registered

SHIELD has had a pressence in every MCU film up to now (big or small). Part of the interest behind SHIELD is there mystery, so I think it's worked out well they haven't explored them anymore than they need to.

Also, your thread title is still kind of spoilery..

3. seishin87 Registered

I was actually going to vote no, then decided on Don't care, not because I don't care and I didn't want to vote no because I'm tired of SHIELD or anything it's just that what happens in TWS is typical comicbook storytelling. I can't remember how many times there's been status quo altering or changing events in the comics that destroy groups, institutions, organizations, and kill characters, heroes and villains only to eventually setting things right.

My honest opinion, SHIELD will be back in some form eventually. It may evolve and change but sooner or later, possibly sooner we'll see them back. Maybe more scaled back, maybe something like a SHIELD team lead by Nick Fury based out of a helicarrier rather than a global big brother type organization.

4. eddy Make Mine Marvel

Haven't read your post yet and saw the film last night but why put a spoiler in your title and then write spoilers? The title itself is a spoiler.

5. Harry Dresden Registered

Don't care.

SHIELD will be back.

6. drod1985 Ragnarock n' Roll

SHIELD as we knew it in the MCU served their purpose, they brought the main Avengers together.

After the events of TWS I'm down for no-SHIELD at all, or a very under-dog version of SHIELD consisting of the remaining good agents and Coulson's team.

7. SpocksBrain Internet Geek

What the Hell!? The title of this thread is a major spoiler!

Anyone with half a brain understands what the phrase "we hardly knew ye" implies. Please change the thread title.

8. hoy-small-fry It's a dance-off bro!

I would, but I can't find how :(

9. eddy Make Mine Marvel

Send a pm to the mods.

10. hoy-small-fry It's a dance-off bro!

Will do. REALLY REALLY sorry if I ruined anything, feeling pretty bad :(

11. Silvermoth Avenger

I thought it was a really interesting idea and I'm excited to see what will happen with it

12. Zaron nerdy nerd dance

I've been getting tired of SHIELD for quite some time, so I'm really happy to see it go.
    There's still a lot of untapped potential, but SHIELD was slowly overpowering the MCU and starting to give the whole universe more of a Men In Black feel and less that of a world of superheroes. The post-credits scene really helped give me confidence that this is going to be good for the MCU, since not having to wonder what SHIELD is doing while super humans are punching each other through buildings is going to free up screen time to introduce more of the crazier aspects of the Marvel universe.

I don't believe for a second that SHIELD is gone for good, but I think a break is going to be really healthy.

13. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Wait. Is SHIELD done, or is their headquarters just gone right now? ...

14. Zaron nerdy nerd dance

It's about as destroyed as it can possibly get. That doesn't mean it can't be rebuilt, but it's gone at least for now.

15. Chance Jackson Registered

Barely any presence in Ironman 1. Zero presence in Hulk, Thor 2 and Iron Man 3. There was a lot more that could have been done with shield

16. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

I doubt SHIELD is over and done with. Captain America and co. dealt them a huge blow, no doubt, but they're an international intelligence agency funded by all of the major world powers with bases and personnel in probably two thirds of the countries on Earth. They're weakened, but I doubt they're over.

17. Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

^ My comment doesn't' really have anything to do you yours i just wanted to say it.

I remember trying to explain to people that Shield was some what like a secret UN council backed NATO like orgianiztion that has JSOC, CIA, FBI, and Interpol like function that also has global jurisdiction. No one would except that explanation. Now that looks like this movie proved me right.

18. Raiden Wakanda Forever

SHIELD as we know it is gone, but there's still remnants of agents around the world, both SHIELD and HYDRA, and I think the storyline will be dealing with Fury and other heroes trying to wipe out the remaining HYDRA or at least cripple it severely. I believe SHIELD will eventually return, once it has been cleansed completely, because it is still an important organization and Marvel will want to bring it back in the future.

19. Zaron nerdy nerd dance

I think SHIELD is exactly as dead as Nick Fury was. Which is to say close enough to remove them from the picture for a while, but not completely.