Shocker. Glenn Beck becomes a libertarian?

enterthemadness

The Triumvirate
Reaction score
Someone remind me what the difference between a Republican and a Libertarian is.

I wouldn't be too pleased with this being as Glenn Beck is a satirist.

Someone remind me what the difference between a Republican and a Libertarian is.

While both are suppose to be for limited govt, the Libertarian Party goes beyond that by being for making drugs legal and anti war, among other things. The Republican Party while having a small libertarian faction, is for big govt and what not over the years.

I'm sure others on this board can explain better, I've only been Libertarian for a year and never really read the Republican platform cause well...they don't seem to be for limited govt (like they say they are), so why bother? I need to brush up on LP platform, but I know it's anti-war, pro gay, get out of other countries business, limited govt, make drugs legal, and pretty sure gambling legal and hookers legal cause well, to be frank, that stuff isn't govt business to begin with. Just legalize, tax it, regulate it.

The main difference for me is Libertarians are probably more to the left then the Democrats on many social issues, and more to the right then Republicans on fiscal issues

Wait till the 2014 elections to see how Libertarian Beck is, he will be backing typical Republican candidates(ie the ones who are against gay marriage or abortion, etc). I see all these Republican talking heads constantly act like they Libertarian but shove a Libertarian candidate infront of them like Ron Paul they ignore them

The main difference for me is Libertarians are probably more to the left then the Democrats on many social issues, and more to the right then Republicans on fiscal issues

Wait till the 2014 elections to see how Libertarian Beck is, he will be backing typical Republican candidates(ie the ones who are against gay marriage or abortion, etc). I see all these Republican talking heads constantly act like they Libertarian but shove a Libertarian candidate infront of them like Ron Paul they ignore them

Yep, yep, that.

How is that a shocker? For 5 years, that's been like the thing to do for Republicans who want to appear as if they're hip or taking on the establishment. To me, it's just a bunch of nonsense. Move to Somalia if you're against "big government" so much. These so-called libertarians are such phonies.

How is that a shocker? For 5 years, that's been like the thing to do for Republicans who want to appear as if they're hip or taking on the establishment. To me, it's just a bunch of nonsense. Move to Somalia if you're against "big government" so much. These so-called libertarians are such phonies.

I dunno if you are taking a shot at Libertarians or not, but just in case...

I'm a Libertarian..I do not want to move away, because guess what bro, I want the USA to actual improve and not be a two party mess like it is. Cheers, mate.

A Libertarian Party Member "swears" that they will not violate the Non-Aggression Principle. A Libertarian believes that no one should be harmed, killed or threatened by anyone, regardless if that person is a individual or a Government Agent for any action that does not harm another individual through intent or negligence. A Republican or Democrat would Fine or Jail you for violation of Victimless Crimes.

I dunno if you are taking a shot at Libertarians or not, but just in case...

I'm a Libertarian..I do not want to move away, because guess what bro, I want the USA to actual improve and not be a two party mess like it is. Cheers, mate.

I think he's taking a shot at LINOs(Libertarians in name only). It's basically people who are republicans but seem to be Libertarian when it suits them because it seems cool(or your going against the man), but ask them about their stances on some issues they as Republican as they come.

Basically ask somebody like Beck what his stance on Gay Marriage is and you will see he is as social conservative as possible(which is far from a Libertarian stance). Look at myself, I would say my stance on social issues lines up more with the Libertarian party then the Democrats but that doesn't make me Libertarian since there is some things when it comes to Domestic policy I don't line up with them.

I think this is the perfect example of fake Liberians, I quickly looked at that reason.tv site and they had this picture

coverebook.jpg

Honestly Ronald Reagan? Basically if you think Ronald Reagan was a good president, you're probably not Libertarian

Last edited:
I think he's taking a shot at LINOs(Libertarians in name only). It's basically people who are republicans but seem to be Libertarian when it suits them because it seems cool(or your going against the man), but ask them about their stances on some issues they as Republican as they come.

Basically ask somebody like Beck what his stance on Gay Marriage is and you will see he is as social conservative as possible(which is far from a Libertarian stance). Look at myself, I would say my stance on social issues lines up more with the Libertarian party then the Democrats but that doesn't make me Libertarian since there is some things when it comes to Domestic policy I don't line up with them.

I think this is the perfect example of fake Liberians, I quickly looked at that reason.tv site and they had this picture

coverebook.jpg

Honestly Ronald Reagan? Basically if you think Ronald Reagan was a good president, you're probably not Libertarian

Reason tv/magazine interviews non-libertarians all the time. That picture looks like they were just advertising the interviews they have conducted in the past decades.

Reason tv/magazine interviews non-libertarians all the time. That picture looks like they were just advertising the interviews they have conducted in the past decades.

Fair enough, my fault for jumping to conclusions, but my point still stands if somebody is championing Ronald Reagan(who was front and center in that picture compared to a couple other guys who I would think line up more with Libertarian values) as a beacon of Libertarianism, I question how much of a Libertarian they are(basically I can find alot of stances I agree with them but it doesn't make me Libertarian since I differ on many other issues)

The true test for Glen Beck to me would be asking him his stance on some social issues or wait till 2016 and see if he backs the Libertarian candidate or puts his weight behind whoever the Republicans pick. Beck had the perfect opportunity to back Ron Paul or Gary Johnson in 2012 and it seemed like when push comes to shove he went with the Republicans. As I said it seems like many on the right who claim to be Libertarian only do it when it suits their purpose because it makes them seem like they against the system, but when push comes to shove they show their true colors. It's basically easy to declare your devotion to Libertarianism in Jan 2013, it would have made much more of a statement doing it a year ago and actually push Libertarian talking points.

Last edited:
Reagan's name is front and center because it's going to sell more magazines than those others. They are not claiming him to be a Libertarian.

Pretty much the religious right of the Republican Party.

But, in this case it looks to me like Beck just wants to hijack the Libertarian Party like he did the Tea Party and then totally screw it up. He hasn't ****ed up a solid movement lately he's up for the task.

Glenn Beck likes to say he is a libertarian because it makes him sound like he is different/going against the grain. He has a history of being very socially conservative and endorsing mainstream republicans. He has been out of the light for a while and is trying to get back in it.

Pretty much the religious right of the Republican Party.

The Religious right and neocons(ie warhawks)

Gary Johnson campaigned on cutting the defense budget by 43%, most Republicans would cry foul if you would try cut it by 0.43%

There's more of a difference than that.

Libertarians believe in an extremely high level of social freedom as well. Probably moreso than even most Democrats.

The Religious right and neocons(ie warhawks)

Gary Johnson campaigned on cutting the defense budget by 43%, most Republicans would cry foul if you would try cut it by 0.43%

Well, I think that is a little too much as well. I would say more around 25%, but then, I'm the one that wants 25% cut from all budgets. :yay:

If I was a Libertarian, I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about Glenn Beck trying to represent us.

If I was a Libertarian, I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about Glenn Beck trying to represent us.

I have a good friend, who was basically my supervisor during the election season for Gary Johnson 2012 here in NC...and he, if I recall, was like people change. But also said the LP learned its lesson after Bob Barr 2008. We see...I'm kinda mixed on the whole thing, with a leaning towards 'Go away, Beck'.

Yes, because the democratic and republican parties getsuch fine representation with the likesof Michael Moore and Sean Hannity, etc. :o

Glenn Beck has been saying he's "part Libertarian" for several months now, at least once in a while when I tune into the Blaze (mostly for laughs, but anyway).

He's all hot air, though.

Glenn Beck has been saying he's "part Libertarian" for several months now, at least once in a while when I tune into the Blaze (mostly for laughs, but anyway).

He's all hot air, though.

Actually he has been saying that he sides with Libertarians quite a bit for years....ever since he was on CNN.

This is all about highjacking another movement and calling it his own, just as he did the Tea Party Movement...

It's not a hijacking. He isn't trying to run for President under an LP banner, or executed a hostile takeover at Reason. He is taking his Blaze TV to a larger audience and he sees the way to do that is with a news network targeted towards libertarian viewers - a base extended beyond his current following.

If he is able to recruit talent and maintains high quality standards - libertarians should be excited about the product he can create. If he doesn't, no one will listen outside of those who are already proud to be Beck fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"