The Defenders Should all the defenders fight each other?

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
It's become a bit of a cliche that when superheroes crossover they always have to fight each other but I would still love to see daredevil versus iron fist for example in particular

Maybe some should fight. Others (i.e., Jessica Jones and Luke Cage) will have a history by that point.

I have no problem with them not fighting either. It's really good either way, but they do have, what, eight episodes to fill?

Only if it makes sense in the story. If they bring in The Punisher a fight between him and Daredevil would make perfect sense given their conflicting outlooks.

They cannot atleast do a refernce to DD vs Cage. I have the feeling everyone will be comfortable with the team except for Matt so he'll cause the most conflict.

They need to have conflict. Teams don't always see eye to eye.

However, not everyone has to have one. Luke Cage/Iron Fist bromance is a MUST.

I think we get enough hero vs. hero in the MCU films. There can be conflict, but it doesn't necessarily have to come down to blows.

Heroes always fight among each other in the beginning then then come to peace and become a good team

I'd dig i if they did do something like that. But for now it's too early to tell if they will or not.

I'd imagine a room full of alphas will have its disagreements time to time.

Yeah, they're all used to being there own leaders. Which partially makes me wonder. Who will be the leader? Likely Daredevil leading, not sure if the team will be a team in the sense of them having a base and all, or a team that simply assembles whenever it's absolutely necessary.

Yeah, they're all used to being there own leaders. Which partially makes me wonder. Who will be the leader? Likely Daredevil leading, not sure if the team will be a team in the sense of them having a base and all, or a team that simply assembles whenever it's absolutely necessary.

I actually think Luke Cage will be the leader. Referencing him leading an Avenger team in the comics, and it seems like the natural evolution for the character. The Luke Cage series will be about the world he comes from and how he became who he is. Loeb mentioned that the JJ series will show him in the "middle of his journey". I think him taking the reigns of leader is going to be that next step.

I actually think Luke Cage will be the leader. Referencing him leading an Avenger team in the comics, and it seems like the natural evolution for the character. The Luke Cage series will be about the world he comes from and how he became who he is. Loeb mentioned that the JJ series will show him in the "middle of his journey". I think him taking the reigns of leader is going to be that next step.

DD is the most popular character (at the moment) so could see him as being the one that gets most attention. So most probably be the leader. Long way to go yet so guess we'll see.

DD is the most popular character (at the moment) so could see him as being the one that gets most attention. So most probably be the leader. Long way to go yet so guess we'll see.

Most popular (even as of right now) doesn't necessarily make them have to become leader. It's obvious that in terms of the general public, Iron Man is the most popular Avenger. Yet Captain America became the leader of the Avengers. I can totally see Luke becoming the leader of the Defenders. From the quotes Loeb gave out about his show and his appearances in Jessica Jones, and in his show we are in the middle of his journey, and we get to see where he came from and most importantly, where he's going. Luke becoming the leader sounds like the natural evolution of the character as opposed to Matt, who is kind of standoff-ish and a little bit of a loner.

Yeah, DD as a leader would be pretty far out of character, for comics and the Netflix versions. But a lot of people think Iron Man is the leader of the Avengers, even if he doesn't do any leading, because he's popular. I suspect something similar will happen with Defenders. Luke Cage will organize everyone and give direction and people will blog about how Daredevil led the team. A bit like Basketball actually. The superstar player is called the leader, whether they're actually doing the leading behind the scenes or not. 'Murica.

I would like them to have gotten all the brawling out of the way, honestly. We've already seen Cage and Jess fight, I have no doubt seeing Cage and Danny fight would happen naturally in the course of their friendship. A nice crossover with DD in his second season to hash out any territory disputes so when they all come together and it looks like they are about to fight, they either fake it to trick the bad guy or just go 'nah.' I'd love that.

1. Why would Luke and Jessica?

2. Why would Misty and Coleen fight?

3. Why would Danny and Misty fight?

4. Why would Luke and Danny fight?

5. Why would Trish and Jessica fight?

6. Why would Matt and Trish fight?

7. What would Danny and Matt fight?

That's seven scenarios which would need a lot of setup for them to not be totally OOC. Assuming that the team is Daredevil, Jewel, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Coleen Wing, Elektra and Hellcat, Elektra is the only one I can see causing conflict on the team because she's the only one willing to use lethal force. The only superhero who'll be on the show who would repeatedly fight other heroes and act as a wild card is Punisher.

And before people try to convince me otherwise, Misty Knight has never, ever been the poster girl for police brutality. She doesn't wantonly shoot bad guys and I really don't want her to since she isn't a character who needs a lot of reworking to make her cool.

IMO, if we're getting hero vs hero, the conflict should be Punisher vs the Defenders where he's on his own team and he's out to kill either Hood, Khan or the Wrecking Crew.

Even among possible later additions to the team, Moon Knight, Blade and She-Hulk (possibly also Spider-Man, Black Widow, Black Cat and Doctor Strange if the stars align) are on good terms with the other street level heroes. The street level Marvel U is much more like a big family than the Avengers who have a revolving door of cast members.

I dont care who fights who or why. But of the main 4 fight. That'd be a welcome surpise/reward.

I really hope not. I don't hate the concept of heroes vs. heroes but I will say that I'm getting a bit burned out on the idea. It was fun for a while, but after two Civil War comics, the movie, BvS, Injustice Gods Among Us, Arrow vs. Flash on the CW, Trinity War in the New 52, and Daredevil vs. the Punisher/Elektra, the concept is getting stale.

This team up series will allegedly be shorter than the regular series. That means that we won't have time for beating around the bush. I'll be coming to see these heroes team up and the less time spent fighting each other means more team up time.

I think it's a given that there has to be a some friction and conflicts of personalities in the show. Not to mention it's fun to see these types of characters square off. Plus, things can come out of such scenarios that aren't apparent at a simple glance. The Danny and Luke relationship was mentioned earlier. Well, who is to say you can't have these two guys meet, dislike each other at first, come to blows and then bond later on? Are we honestly going to say we don't have friends in our lives that maybe when they first met us didn't like us? This is melodrama folks. Hero v. Hero is not a new concept, it's been around since the Golden Age Human Torch clashed with Namor. If it happens it will far from ruin anything in the show I am guessing. And I don't think it takes much to have these characters get in a scrape and then patch things up later.

It's only a handful of characters. an internal battle would be rather unnecessary.

I don't see them fighting against each other but I could see them fighting over how to take out the villain, especially if it is [BLACKOUT]Elektra[/BLACKOUT]. Matt won't want to kill anyone but Jessica or any of the other Defenders might want to [BLACKOUT]kill her [/BLACKOUT]to get rid of the threat of The Hand. Again, that's if The Hand problem they are dealing with for the miniseries.

The point of having heroes fight it out on screen typically comes down to it being a simple way to define:
1) Their strengths and powers in comparison to one another
2) Their goals/the conflict which will push the character drama.

We know that Cap is super strong, but he couldn't take down Loki. Stark has better luck. Oh but Iron Man's armor can be crushed single handily by Thor, and the only things that seem capable of surviving a direct swing from that thing are Hulk and Cap's Shield. Oh look, now we know were everyone is in the line up and we didn't even have to all sit down together and discuss stats.

So whether the heroes fight or not will likely come down to those two factors: power level exposition and drama. I think a lot of the first part comes down to what they do on Luke Cage and Iron Fist and if the expectancy for The Defenders will be that the majority of the audience saw at least two of the shows, or if they will approach it more like Avengers with the idea that the team up will bring in a bunch of new viewers.

As for the drama, it is almost always used as short hand to show that these two character's personalities will be at odds. It's shorthand because instead of having the two characters meet and the conflicting elements of their personality or goals becoming apparent through more normal socialization you just have them mistakenly fight each other and BAM we now instantly know that these two people clash. But by the end Luke will have (likely) met Jess, Danny, and Misty with the last two also knowing Coleen. Any immediate clashing will have already taken place, and even with characters like Jess and Coleen it's like... Wait, where are Danny, Luke, and Misty and did none of them bother to mention to their friend that there is a drunken superhero and redheaded samurai running around the area?

But there is a difference between fighting against and fighting with someone and I fully expect the last to occur plenty. Even if you take six perfectly nice people if you put them in a stressful enough situation eventually you get some conflict. However, as far as we know it's NOT six perfectly nice people. As of right now it's three possibly reasonably nice ones, two disgruntled loners, and one guy who seems to purposefully distant himself - a trait probably not at all helped by what was done to him by certain Jessicas. Although at least Luke has shown some interest in playing ball. Both Jess and Matt have been very instant about that whole "I must be an island. And I mean one of those futuristic, floating ones that touches absolutely nothing, not even the water in case that somehow connects me to other people" and while Jess's series ended with her becoming somewhat more comfortable admitting that she had people she cared about, Matt's put him in the opposite corner. So yeah I'm sure those guys are all gonna be just perky about a team up.

It looks like Punisher is going to be the one trying to kill off Elektra while the Defenders are trying to free her of The Beast's influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"