The Dark Knight Should Bale's Batman Be Portrayed More Like Conroy's Batman?

raybia said:
When I watch BB for the first time, I when away wishing Batman was more like the TAS. Granted, I realized that this was Year 1, but it was still noticable different.

After watching BB again last night, I starting thing that Conroy's Batman would probably be a little out of place in Nolan's world after all.

Interestingly enough, when I watch Batman Begins, I feel like I am watching a live-action rendition of the DCAU Batman. And I still feel that way.

TheGrayGhost said:
Interestingly enough, when I watch Batman Begins, I feel like I am watching a live-action rendition of the DCAU Batman. And I still feel that way.

I concur. :up:

That's funny. I don't get that impression at all. The characterization of Batman is pretty different.

Ronny Shade said:
That's funny. I don't get that impression at all. The characterization of Batman is pretty different.

How so?

Maybe characterization is the wrong word. Conroy's Batman (and when I say "Conroy" I mean Timm/Dini/Conroy) was a man of few words. A man with an icy stare that would turn your soul into mush just by looking at you. He didn't really act the same way as Bale's Batman. Bale's Batman was overflowing with emotion, anger, hatred. Conroy was contained, repressed, silent. Just look at the "Swear to me" scene. Conroy's Batman would have delivered those lines in a completely different way, stone-cold, emotionless.

Basically, Conroy was a "cold" Batman. Bale is a "hot" Batman, if that makes sense. They're both scary, but in different ways.

Ronny Shade said:
Maybe characterization is the wrong word. Conroy's Batman (and when I say "Conroy" I mean Timm/Dini/Conroy) was a man of few words. A man with an icy stare that would turn your soul into mush just by looking at you. He didn't really act the same way as Bale's Batman. Bale's Batman was overflowing with emotion, anger, hatred. Conroy was contained, repressed, silent. Just look at the "Swear to me" scene. Conroy's Batman would have delivered those lines in a completely different way, stone-cold, emotionless.

Basically, Conroy was a "cold" Batman. Bale is a "hot" Batman, if that makes sense. They're both scary, but in different ways.

I hadn't thought about it that way. You're right, though. But the emotion that Bale's Batman showed was, IMO, an act designed to scare the crap out of the bad guys, just as the Timm/Dini/Conroy Batman put on a stone cold persona to scare people.

So I agree with you about the hot/cold thing. But IMO it's just two sides of the same coin.

I am gonna side with Ronny on this one here mates. DCAU Batman is great, Batman Begins Batman is great, both are different.

Keyser said:
I hadn't thought about it that way. You're right, though. But the emotion that Bale's Batman showed was, IMO, an act designed to scare the crap out of the bad guys, just as the Timm/Dini/Conroy Batman put on a stone cold persona to scare people.

So I agree with you about the hot/cold thing. But IMO it's just two sides of the same coin.
Yes. Same coin. Same result. Different method. Different feeling.

Norm said:
I am gonna side with Ronny on this one here mates. DCAU Batman is great, Batman Begins Batman is great, both are differe
Geauh :up:

EDIT: Basically, Conroy inspires DREAD. Bale inspires PANIC.

I´m tired of these comparisons, let each actor do his own take, they work in different ways for different reasons. I think Conroy´s Batman voice works great for the animated Batman, I don´t think that voice would sound as good for a movie Batman. What I find funny is when Batman was described as being like an animal in set reports and interviews and stuff, everybody thought it was wonderful, then they get animal Batman and start saying, "oh, it´s not a natural voice", IT´S NOT MEANT TO BE!! it´s meant to disguise Bruce Wayne´s voice and to pass the impression that Batman is a supernatural, monster-like creature. Cold and calcullated Batman is great when he´s talking to Gordon or Rachel, but when he´s intimidating a thug, he´s supposed to be a beast.

Remember, Batman in Begins is essentially a Year One-era Bats. He isn't refined yet. Just look at how irresponsible he was in the Tumbler chase scene(which Alfred rightly called him on).

I have a feeling that over the course of the next two films Bale's Batman will become a bit more like Conroy's. I think Batman IS more "emotional" and, frankly, kind of sloppy when he first starts out. He doesn't just start off being the stoic, calculating detective.

Thats my take.

Maxwell Smart said:
Remember, Batman in Begins is essentially a Year One-era Bats. He isn't refined yet. Just look at how irresponsible he was in the Tumbler chase scene(which Alfred rightly called him on).

I have a feeling that over the course of the next two films Bale's Batman will become a bit more like Conroy's. I think Batman IS more "emotional" and, frankly, kind of sloppy when he first starts out. He doesn't just start off being the stoic, calculating detective.

Thats my take.
Batman can be the stoic, calculating detective, but when he attacks or interrogates thugs, he has to show the feral side. Like when he interrogates Flass, that´s the time for the animal Batman.

Maxwell Smart said:

Thats my take.

That was my point of this thread. Should Bale's Batman become more like Conroy's Batman?

Ronny Shade said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing the Burton Batman with the Timm Batman?

EDIT: Both (Nolan's and Timm's Batman) are stoic in their personifications, and convey the same amount of intensity in their speech. And they both talk when they need to and are quite when they need to. Just go watch Doomsday Sanction, Over The Edge, I am the Night, Injustice for All, etc. As a hardcore fan of the DCAU, I honestly feel as though I was watching a live-action rendition of the Timm Batman in Begins. But we're all entitled to our opinions. :)

raybia said:
That was my point of this thread. Should Bale's Batman become more like Conroy's Batman?

In a word...

Two_Face.jpg

...YES. :p

I dont see why. They're their own interpretations of the character, why should Bale change the way he plays the character to match someone else, when his is already good enough? I'd agree if we were talking Clooney, who's Batman sucked. But we're talking Bale, who did a damn fine job with his own take. Let Conroy be Conroy and Bale be Bale. Both were freakin' awesome.

TheGrayGhost said:
Are you sure you aren't confusing the Burton Batman with the Timm Batman?

EDIT: Both (Nolan's and Timm's Batman) are stoic in their personifications, and convey the same amount of intensity in their speech. And they both talk when they need to and are quite when they need to. Just go watch Doomsday Sanction, Over The Edge, I am the Night, Injustice for All, etc. As a hardcore fan of the DCAU, I honestly feel as though I was watching a live-action rendition of the Timm Batman in Begins. But we're all entitled to our opinions. :)
I don't even think about Burton's Batman anymore. In the least, I don't take him seriously really.

You definitely watch TAS more than I, but I when I do, I always get the feeling the Batman is the not exactly the yelling type. I mean take the Theme song for example. The crooks run out of the roof and Batman lands in front of them. His eyes narrow and he stars at them. They gasp in fear.

Another example: MotP. The opening scene where the counterfeiters are looking at the bills "Anybody got a problem with that?" Smash. Batman crashes through the window. Does he say anything? Does he bellow and words as Bale did frequently in Begins? No. He doesn't even have the decency to deliver on the one-liner that the script was begging for. He lets the actions speak. The actions and the badassness. I imagine in the same situation, Bale's Batman would give that demonic howl and yell at the crooks as he starts wailing on them. Conroy's Batman...he just wails on them.

It's also in how the movie was shot versus how TAS was "shot" Bale's Batman gives the appearance of a monster. A beast. It's shot like something out of a horror movie. Conroy's Batman is in control. calm. He makes calculated moves. We see him do them. He see that he's a good ass fighter and he is the kind of guy who can stand there and wait for you to try and tackle him and you end up on the ground. This is different then seeing a hand smash I guy's head against a mirror.

Katsuro said:
I dont see why. They're their own interpretations of the character, why should Bale change the way he plays the character to match someone else, when his is already good enough? I'd agree if we were talking Clooney, who's Batman sucked. But we're talking Bale, who did a damn fine job with his own take. Let Conroy be Conroy and Bale be Bale. Both were freakin' awesome.

Because Batman is a round character, not a static character. Is the Batman of Year One the same as Hush? Or even TLH? No, he isn't. Over time the character becomes more comfortable and precise in his skills as Batman, less "fiery", more withdrawn, and jaded to a certain extent. He is more idealistic at first, and more emotional on the field. We can see this arc in the comics.

Me and raybia are not suggesting he change to be like Conroy for the sake of being like Conroy, but rather for the fact that Conroy's Batman is more like a veteran Bats and less like the Year One era, which is what Batman in Begins was.

I still dont think Bale's Batman should ever loose his animalistic nature. I dont think things like "Swear to me!" were due to him being out of control and an amateur. He was in total control, and was simply doing what he had to do to get information. Gaining experience isn't going to make him change his methods when what he has works. Both Batmen have their methods of scaring criminals, and they both seemed to work just fine.

Actually, I think Batman was still a bit of an amateur in Begins. A "lucky amateur" infact. ;)

Maxwell Smart said:
Actually, I think Batman was still a bit of an amateur in Begins. A "lucky amateur" infact. ;)

i'm not denying that he was an amateur, i'm simply saying that his animalistic nature was not a result of that.

Ronny Shade said:
They both work. I don't know if Bale would be quite as effective if he tried to emulate Conroy.
There were two moments where he used the silent kind.
Against Rachel Dawes at the trainstation I guess, and when he lands on the trains and gives Liam Neeson the meanest look ever.

Hudson said:
There were two moments where he used the silent kind.
Against Rachel Dawes at the trainstation I guess, and when he lands on the trains and gives Liam Neeson the meanest look ever.

Man, even Ra's was ready to piss himself at the sight of that. Great scene.

Katsuro said:
Precisely, I love it.
There are soo many cool scenes in that movie.:( :up:
Think I'm gonna see it tonight.

Katsuro said:

Yeah, I love that look. "You will never learn..."

Hudson said:
Precisely, I love it.
There are soo many cool scenes in that movie.:( :up:
Think I'm gonna see it tonight.

I watch it whenever possible. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"