Should Bucky become Captain America after CA3/Avengers3?

Discussion in 'Captain America Sequels' started by Comicbookguy339, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Comicbookguy339

Comicbookguy339 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm asking if you would rather they recast Steve Rogers or have the character die so Bucky (Sebastian Stan) can take up the mantle.

2. ericadawn16

ericadawn16 Well-Known Member

What about America Chavez? It could be like when Miss Marvel got upgraded to Captain Marvel.

3. Dasher10

Dasher10 I'm like Deadpool IRL

In short, no. Bucky was only Cap for a short while. Steve has usually been Captain America.

4. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Of course not!

5. krycek

krycek Well-Known Member

No, Captain America should always be Steve Rogers. I'm not a big fan of when a superhero is made of multiple characters. I would like to see Bucky return for future sequels though.

6. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

no

just no

7. regnak

regnak Well-Known Member

No absolutely not.

8. dsfjr1190

dsfjr1190 Well-Known Member

If Chris Evans doesn't want to come back, then sure. Have Bucky be Cap for a few movies while Steve is (suspected?) dead. Then bring back Steve with a different actor.

9. Xeno

Xeno IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

No. Never.

Bucky/Cap was one of the worst plot devices of recent Marvel history. He made a terrible Captain America. Just because something happened in the comic book doesn't mean that it should be used in the film universe. Steve Rogers should always be Cap in the MCU, even if that means recasting the role when Chris Evans leaves.

10. Adamantium

Adamantium Your King

No disrespect to you. But the idea, because I heard this from several people on some other things I've read suggest this scenario too. I think that would be a huge mistake. I guess if they went this route and Evans came back it could work or be accepted. But if Evans didn't and then they just popped some other actor in the role I think they'd have no awe factor.

I can't conceivably see them doing this. There's just no reason for it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  11. Adamantium

Adamantium Your King

Plus I'm not a fan of Sebastian Shaw. At least from the little I seen of him in CATFA I don't think I would enjoy watching him. He doesn't have the same screen presence as Chris Evans.

12. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

No, next question.

13. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

14. Jochimus

Jochimus Autobot Slacker

I'm not sure that the death of one of the Avengers is something that would fly with non-fan audiences, at least unless it were another fake-out, which I'm not sure Steve would cotton to: I could see Steve being PRESUMED dead and Bucky maybe looking to find out who's responsible after a year or so of the latter getting his life and marbles back together, but the trick would be to do that without being a straight rehash of what we just got in TWS.

15. Xhexania

Xhexania Well-Known Member

We all know it worked well for many when Bucky was Cap for a short while in the comics but the MCU are a different type of media to do that thing, it would be weird, the movies are well established with Steve Rogers as Cap, and that is how it should stay in the films.
    I do have to say though that if Marvel studios want to keep making more movies with Cap and Evans is not up for it after Avengers 3, then it would be convenient they did a proper exit for Steve as Cap and have Bucky replace him, though I´m not convinced Sebastian as Bucky, has the presence to lead a movie as Cap, but it is better than recasting another actor to play Steve. Not that other superheroes haven´t been played by 10 different actors, but with MCU the characters are too attached to the actors playing them and defined by them, so if they were to re-cast Steve, they should wait 10 years at least to give a time; in the meantime they have so many other superheroes to make movies about... but I´m sure going to miss it too much when I don´t see more Cap films with Evans or IM films with RDJ :(

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  16. Visualiza

Visualiza Jimmy Scrambles

I think that one of the biggest obstacles facing this idea, from the audience's POV anyway, is the issue of death in the MCU in general. Let's not forget that in the comics, Steve (obviously) didn't die; that was all some hokey, elaborate...time displacement mind swap plot from the Red Skull. I...have my doubts as to whether they'd even be willing to go down a similar road for the movies, but the idea of Steve coming back after the audience was lead to believe that he perished would be a tough sell, all things considered. So far, we've had Coulson, Bucky, Loki, and Fury either brought back or fake their own deaths, and each time, the audience was never in on it. Hell, nobody believes that the Red Skull is dead, and an argument could even be made for Killian.

All I'm saying is that if they're going to go down this road, they had better consider the ramifications of losing Steve Rogers for the duration of the MCU, which is apparently planned out until 2028, and will surely continue beyond that if the money keeps rolling in. On the other hand, if their plan is to bring him back, then it needs to be a very well written, cleverly orchestrated chain of events, otherwise it won't resonate with the audience after getting bamboozled so many times.

17. Venom 1988

Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

What if instead of dying, Steve Rogers becomes the Director of a newly formed SHIELD, that is if they decide to bring SHIELD back anyway. That way you could have a new cap without killing the old.

18. Visualiza

Visualiza Jimmy Scrambles

He'd have to have a pretty compelling reason to do something like that, especially when you consider the fact that he had a hand in SHIELD's demise in the first place.

It was pretty clear as well that Cap wasn't a big fan of secrecy and withholding information. He said it himself - he joined SHIELD to protect people, not to spy on them. I can't imagine any situation where Cap would reform SHIELD and become its leader. Seems to go against everything he stands for at this point.

19. Venom 1988

Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

The new SHIELD doesn't have to be like the old SHIELD, but sure I guess you're right...

20. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

Bucky's tenure as Cap, while a great premise, wound up being largely unremarkable. He's better off being Winter Soldier.

21. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Steve Rogers IS Captain America. That is all.

22. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Well-Known Member

heh-heh. We'll see. I guess it depends on whether Disney can convince Chris Evans to come back after Avengers 3. He seems intent on becoming a director for now, but hopefully he won't give up on Cap prematurely.

23. ripse

ripse Spider-Man_Blue

No way, Cap is Steve Roger ever, can't replace it

24. captaindeadpool

[​IMG]

Would love to see more of Sebastian Stan but I don't feel too strongly about bucky becoming Captain America, or anyone else taking on the role to be honest.

25. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Well-Known Member

Nope. Captain America is Steve Rogers, period. If Evans is done, then recast the role of Rogers.