Days of Future Past Should Cable be in a Days of Future Past X-Film

The Epic Beyond

Civilian
Reaction score
I've been thinking about how much I enjoyed the entire X-men series of films with the exception of X-Men:Last Stand. The death of Xavier, Jean Grey, and Cyclops, was upsetting to say the least and I was really hoping for a way to bring them back.

I know the rumors batted around the interweb have been that X-men first class sequel is going to take inspiration from the Days of Future Past. If they're going to involve time travel who would want to alter history more than Cable. (I wrote an article for my blog about this) He'd particularly want to change history because both his parents died before he was born.

Cable is the quintessential 90's anti-hero, but he's also a little more than that. He's got deeper personality than just "Grrr I have big guns and kill *****". He'd be a great way to link the original trilogy with the First Class semi reboot.

What do you guys think?

Might be better off posting this in the Days of Future Past board.

I'd love to see that white haired cat from Avatar play Cable on screen...

I'd love to see that white haired cat from Avatar play Cable on screen...

That's the same guy who was in Terra Nova while it lasted. He would make a good cable.

And Ill move this over to the Days of future past board

I would totally watch a Cable movie starring Stephen Lang. Doubly so if it consists of Cable traveling back in time to prevent X-Men 3 from ever happening. ;)

I've been thinking about how much I enjoyed the entire X-men series of films with the exception of X-Men:Last Stand. The death of Xavier, Jean Grey, and Cyclops, was upsetting to say the least and I was really hoping for a way to bring them back.

I know the rumors batted around the interweb have been that X-men first class sequel is going to take inspiration from the Days of Future Past. If they're going to involve time travel who would want to alter history more than Cable. (I wrote an article for my blog about this) He'd particularly want to change history because both his parents died before he was born.

Cable is the quintessential 90's anti-hero, but he's also a little more than that. He's got deeper personality than just "Grrr I have big guns and kill *****". He'd be a great way to link the original trilogy with the First Class semi reboot.

What do you guys think?

In fairness, though, the Dark Phoenix is destined to die (and perhaps return). Jean died in the original saga in the comics (and died several times later!) although in Singer's planned X3 she would have evolved beyond humanity to some sort of cosmic consciousness (I'm not sure if she would have been killed on Earth before this happened).

Jean has never dealt with the Phoenix power with complete confidence or as if the dark side was a mild headache; it's always come with great drama and cost (to herself and others) because she wields awesome power that's not really meant for a mere mortal.

Whatever Phoenix we get, it never ends happily. The Phoenix Saga isn't some smiley breakfast cereal commercial!

Of course, some of the epic potential of the story was lost within X3 because of adding the cure plot into the mix, and because James Marsden was persuaded to join Bryan Singer in Australia for Superman Returns. And we didn't get a Phoenix firebird effect, for whatever reason (budgetary or creative).

What Days of Future Past may enable is, possibly, a new timeline in which a different version of events may occur (if the studio decided to re-do the Phoenix Saga in any form). We might also get to see a younger Jean Grey in the 60s or 70s, perhaps this time without mental blocks but instead under the tutelage of Xavier.

But I would question whether they will a) redo the Phoenix Saga b) redo it in such a way that she doesn't die or evolve out of human existence.

I may be wrong, they may have something else in mind for Jean altogether, but the struggle that comes with all the power is a part of the character in most iterations. What were you wanting to see happen to Jean Grey instead?

Scott is dead How in the hell he was born The only Summers child they can use is Nate" Grey (X-Man ) Mr. Sinisterartificially created him

Forget Cyclops. What about Madelyne Pryor? She doesn't even exist in the movie universe. They're obviously going to have to alter Cable's origin, as the pieces aren't in place to remain true to his comic book counterpart.

i figure that the character of Bishop would be better to have than cable for this film.

well they establish that in the future he's from, the event of x3 didn't happen, something happened to change the course of history, and he's trying to stop it.

I agree that Stephen Lang is a bit too old, and almost too obvious a choice (typecasting).
I dont think it would have a negative reaction if he was cast though. Hes been the fan favorite for awhile. He can act and looks similar enough to the character.
well they establish that in the future he's from, the event of x3 didn't happen, something happened to change the course of history, and he's trying to stop it.
Yeah, right when they establish this is an Alt future all continuity goes out the window. Anyone can be added really.

I dont think it would have a negative reaction if he was cast though. Hes been the fan favorite for awhile. He can act and looks similar enough to the character.

I wouldn't be opposed to him having the role, but would like to hear some other suggestions.

Yeah, right when they establish this is an Alt future all continuity goes out the window. Anyone can be added really.

Depends if they set it in an alternate future, or one that comes after the existing trilogy. If it's a future ahead of X3, then there can't be any Rachel or Cable because Cyke and Jean didn't live long enough to have kids.

The one oddity about the original story is that the time travel from an alternate future ended up in another version of the past rather than its own past.

Somehow it seems more logical that the changing of the past creates an alternate timeline. Although, if that change results in a timeline that later allows the existence of Rachel and Cable, then that would be fine!

So, in order to have Rachel or Cable or Nate in the future, the time travel has to allow that future to happen. But that sorta defeats the object of going back to change it, because by going back they only made sure their future would take place! The irony would be that the time travel created the future not prevented it.

^^ I've just been discussing this time travel thing.

Head-spinning and mind-bending though it all is, there is another way we could see Rachel and/or Cable in a dystopian future and attempting to alter the past.

What those in the future wouldn't know is that the laws of physics prevent them altering their own past (which might affect their own existence and prevent them travelling in the first place). Therefore, whoever travelled in time would end up in another version of the past (without necessarily knowing it, especially if it was someone who wasn't yet born in that past and was unfamiliar with it, such as Kitty).

So, short answer is that we could have Rachel and Cable in the future, but...

1) the time travel would have the ironic effect of actually creating the future they came from (except it would be a paradox as they would surely remember the changing of the past!)

2) the time travel would immediately end up in another version of the past, and so would create another future altogether

Last edited:
Believe or not, Cable's rights are on Marvel Studios' hands.

"Gathering of scribes will help Marvel come up with creative ways to launch its lesser-known properties, such as Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Nighthawk and Vision.

So far, it has focused its efforts on more popular superheroes like Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118001734?refCatId=13

END OF STORY :word:

Believe or not, Cable's rights are on Marvel Studios' hands.

"Gathering of scribes will help Marvel come up with creative ways to launch its lesser-known properties, such as Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Nighthawk and Vision.

So far, it has focused its efforts on more popular superheroes like Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118001734?refCatId=13

END OF STORY :word:

Not really. Not until something definitive is said by Kevin Feige or Fox's equivalent. And that means waiting for someone to ask them a direct question.

After all, it turned out Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver could be used either by Marvel (as they have been members of the Avengers) or Fox (as they are Magneto's kids and were once in Brotherhood). And Fox is able to use Viper in The Wolverine.

In Cable's case, he only has connections with the X-Men, so it seems more likely he is part of the Fox deal.

I'm not sure why he was mentioned in that 2009 article from Variety, it always seemed weird at the time. But I wouldn't necessarily say what was said in that article was the 'end of story'.

Yeah I think Fox can use Cable. If one company only has the rights to Cable you would have to write yourself around alot of characters. Thats just not gonna happen imo. He needs to be with the other characters at Fox to work.
So, short answer is that we could have Rachel and Cable in the future, but...

1) the time travel would have the ironic effect of actually creating the future they came from (except it would be a paradox as they would surely remember the changing of the past!)

2) the time travel would immediately end up in another version of the past, and so would create another future altogether

Im lost haha. Are you talking about where they would end up at the end of the film? I just saw them doing one of these two things.

Time altering event in the FC time era changes the future so much that this leaves the possiblity of characters with children. X1 wouldnt have happened etc. IN this case it would be fixable, and everything goes back to normal.

Or It would be a full on Alt timeline like 811 so everythings irrelevant and its a whole new world where anythings possible, but they dont fiure that out till the end.

Last edited:
Im lost haha. Are you talking about where they would end up at the end of the film? I just saw them doing one of these two things.

Time altering event in the FC time era changes the future so much that this leaves the possiblity of characters with children. X1 wouldnt have happened etc. IN this case it would be fixable, and everything goes back to normal.

Or It would be a full on Alt timeline like 811 so everythings irrelevant and its a whole new world where anythings possible, but they dont fiure that out till the end.

Well, it all depends what we see in the future.

If we see a future that is ahead of The Last Stand, it would only include characters alive after the events of the Last Stand (no Cyclops, no Jean). Obviously, Scott and Jean didn't live long enough to have children, so no Rachel or Cable.

If you want that future to be different - with Cyclops or Jean alive or including one or more of their children (Rachel, Cable), that's fine too. Some time-altering event created another reality where that happened.
You were suggesting that fixing that event prevented that future from happening, stopping Rachel or Cable from existing, and creating the future we see in X1, X2 and X3.

The problem is that if changing the past event creates the future we see in X1-X3, then Singer/Donner/Vaughn/etc must still ensure that all future films in the First Class series don't contradict what we saw in the original trilogy, and that's too restricting in my view.

The way I see it, any attempt to alter the past would immediately trigger an alternate timeline. You can't change history because it's already happened the way it happened. Any change would create a parallel reality where things were different. But the characters wouldn't know that.

The best end result of DoFP on screen would be to 'clear the decks' and create a new timeline that enables new stories and events to happen without the filmmakers having to worry about lining everything up with the existing films.

I think a key thing to consider is what they want to do beyond X-Men: Days of Future Past.

If they want to do an X4/X5 where X1-X3 are canon and the events of The Last Stand are in continuity, then the time-travel event must ensure that the original trilogy takes place.

If they want to ignore X1-X3 (so they can bring back Scott or Jean, for example), then the time-travel has to create a new timeline.

if they wanted to do a X4, they wouldn't necessarily need to ignore x1-x3 continuous all together, but using the time travel to create some thing of new time line, they can pick and choose what to use and what to ignore

Last edited:
all i know is this man better be cable
stephen-lang-avatar.jpg

stephen-lang.jpg

if they wanted to do a X4, they wouldn't necessarily need to ignore x1-x3 continuous all together, but using the time travel to create some thing of new time line, they can pick and choose what to use and what to ignore

True, a new timeline could mean that some (but not all) of X1-X3 happened as we saw it. I'm guessing it's the third film that the filmmakers want to ignore the most but there may be elements of X1 and X2 that they also now want to change.

Wow, I had no clue this movie was going to even be called DoFP. Id love to see Cable but really feel he is necesary

I think a key thing to consider is what they want to do beyond X-Men: Days of Future Past.

If they want to do an X4/X5 where X1-X3 are canon and the events of The Last Stand are in continuity, then the time-travel event must ensure that the original trilogy takes place.

If they want to ignore X1-X3 (so they can bring back Scott or Jean, for example), then the time-travel has to create a new timeline.

I think new timeline is the way to go, but like you said until we know were they want beyond this film its tough to know the route they are going. This may be their only chance to use a few characters so it will be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"