The Dark Knight Rises Should Scarecrow Return In TDKR???

People complaining he was 'wasted' in TDK seem to think he was intended as having a significant role in the first place. He obviously wasn't. It was simply a little nod to Begins, highlighting that yes this is the same world, Batman has been having an effect and for once we actually have some continuity in a Batman sequel.

Uh no guy. I didn't expect him to have a big role at all. He was wasted b/c his last screen performance diluted all the work that was done in BB. To remember his last appearance on screen as him saying "Not my diagnosis" is pathetic given the sadistic terror he created throughout BB.

If giving a nod means an inherent dilution of the prior performance then please lets not give anymore nods. Problem solved.

Uh no guy. I didn't expect him to have a big role at all. He was wasted b/c his last screen performance diluted all the work that was done in BB. To remember his last appearance on screen as him saying "Not my diagnosis" is pathetic given the sadistic terror he created throughout BB.

If giving a nod means an inherent dilution of the prior performance then please lets not give anymore nods. Problem solved.

He is a pathetic person though. Without his fear gas he's nothing except a slightly weird guy.

I think it would be funny if Nolan put a small little thing of batman beaten up scarecrow in each film, I like scarecrow but after batman makes an antidote to his fear toxin theirs not much scarecrow can do to defend himself from batman but run.

Why is the fact that the character was a girl important? a tazer to the face would take anyone down, even bats himself, no matter who fired it. "oh my god he was such a *****, he actually died when he got blasted with a 44 magnum, and get this, A GIRL fired it"

Why is the fact that the character was a girl important? a tazer to the face would take anyone down, even bats himself, no matter who fired it. "oh my god he was such a *****, he actually died when he got blasted with a 44 magnum, and get this, A GIRL fired it"

Because the scene made obvious that Batman - nor his special bat-weapons, nor his special training - was needed. And if Scarecrow is such a poor villiain that he's inherently out of Batman's list of reason as to why he must exist, then why bring him back again?

I think that was kind of the point, she was an ordinary citizen with the "will to act" and she happen to have that tazer as a resource. She took his ass down, in a nice bit of personal revenge for his earlier poisoning of her. Bats had his hands quite full at this point in the film(dealing with an entire island being poisoned, something Crane helped facilitate and personally oversaw). Im saying he can get better and more formidable as it goes on. At that point he was insane on the gas, and just trying his hand at outright villainy. It makes sense. All of Bats's villains are not master combatatants and tacticians. Their stregnths are their stregnths, their weaknesses are their weaknesses. I know this is supposed to be escapism, but it is completely patronizing to think that just because some narcissistic ass decided to put on a costume, he would have to become this infallible bad-ass. Not so. If there really were super-heroes and villains, some of them might be inept blunderers from time to time. Someone like the scarecrow or the riddler could be easy to get the drop on in the right situation. This doesnt mean they have no value at all, and are not threatening in the least. I would still rather not deal with their **** if given the choice.
I mean hell, Im an average citizen, but if youd have locked me in a room with Adolph Hitler id probably mop the floor with his ass, but is he still not a frightening icon of villainy?

Last edited:
Again, Crane is only powerful to those susceptible to his toxin. At that point Rachel wasn't, ergo...

I'd love to see Cillian Murphy reprise his role under these conditions:

1. Scarecrow doesn't have a disappointing cameo like in The Dark Knight. I'd like to see him do more stuff in the next movie.

2. Scarecrow doesn't get punked in a very lame way, like he did in Batman Begins. Now, I love Batman Begins, but Katie Holmes ends up being the one to take him down? LAME.

I might entertain the idea of enjoying Crane's return if Cillian Murphy decides that acting would be a good idea the next time around.

Yes, Crane is pathetic, but it's a particular type of pathetic, and this pathetic shouldn't equal "complete pushover". Maybe for Batman, but even then...I more or less feel that since Nolan and company made Crane someone who is only capable or frightening with his toxin in both films (Not that he was frightening at ALL in THE DARK KNIGHT) that they almost entirely missed the most interesting point of character. The man is The Master of Fear, not The Master of Fear Gas. Jonathan Crane should be almost as terrifying as The Scarecrow, not because of his gas, but because of his pathology.

No point to have him appear in all three movies, unless they're going to show him in arkham

If he would have looked like he did at the end of Begins, I wonder if people would be complaining as much.

:oldrazz:

Id like to see him more than we did in TDK I hope someone lets the Arkham inmates loose again .....that never gets old and then you get to see Batman deal with the good villains rather petty goons... Though if they do a 3rd film will introduce some new ones, It would be a good way to let the freaks loose

I love the way Calender Man was portrayed in The Long Halloween. the fact that he has absolutely no history within the context of the film and a very ridiculous gimmick in the first place, Scarecrow, being an actual therapist, could fill the role.

Hes not necessary for the sequel but it could be cool. Although if it is considered a Hannibal rip-off (which it kinda is but could be considered a homage) it could hurt the film

yea... oh well Lucious is already pretty much a homage to Q from the bond films... "maybe you should read the instructions first" ... Im not knocking it though Lucious makes sense for the the take on Batman they got.... but I don't know he was a phsycologist.... who is mad?... a good person to ask.... but then again Im sure Arkham has got more psycologists

I don't think Calender man is that ridiculous.... He seems like someone who actually could exist in real life..... well not totally but more so than poison ivy or mr freeze definitely ... not that saying that he could exist is what makes him not ridiculous... I guess I just find him more creepy than lots....

You know people keep on stating that if Heath Ledger was still alive/or the Joker was recasted.... The Joker would play a "Hannibal Lecter" type role as being an Arkham inmate, with Batman seeking interrogations/insight from him in order to stop the latest freak to be terrorizing Gotham. Soooo....

Why not have NO Joker at all and give that role to the Scarecrow? Cillian Murphy is a great actor and played a creepy Scarecrow very well. Why not have Batman use him as a type of "Calandar Man" type character in B3?

Plus, you gotta give him credit, according to Nolan, Scarecrow was Gotham's first freak. Not Joker.

You know people keep on stating that if Heath Ledger was still alive/or the Joker was recasted.... The Joker would play a "Hannibal Lecter" type role as being an Arkham inmate, with Batman seeking interrogations/insight from him in order to stop the latest freak to be terrorizing Gotham. Soooo....

That sounds great. But before the end of the movie he should be escaping Arkham absolutely.

Why not have NO Joker at all and give that role to the Scarecrow?

Why having one of the wimpiest villians instead of one of the scariest and smartest ones?

Cillian Murphy is a great actor and played a creepy Scarecrow very well. Why not have Batman use him as a type of "Calandar Man" type character in B3?

I haven't seen much of Murphy's other roles, but his Scarecrow was external and lame. Big eyes and dragging voice doesn't equal scary.

Any scene with Ledger's Joker and Eckhardt's Two-Face can show us what scary really is. Even Wilkinson's Falcone. THOSE are good actors who can be actually scary, not just "act" like it.

Plus, you gotta give him credit, according to Nolan, Scarecrow was Gotham's first freak. Not Joker.

First yeah, as in "before than." But once he becomes Sacrecrow he had problems finishing one simple speech about fear because of some 20-something girl. I mean... really...

You know people keep on stating that if Heath Ledger was still alive/or the Joker was recasted.... The Joker would play a "Hannibal Lecter" type role as being an Arkham inmate, with Batman seeking interrogations/insight from him in order to stop the latest freak to be terrorizing Gotham. Soooo.....

Really? People are actually saying that? Cause I dont see it at all.

I'd welcome his return. We have recurring characters like Gordon, Fox and Alfred, so why not a villain? I bet no one envisioned a new Batman franchise whereby we have a near-complete recurring cast (Rachel being the odd one). Having Crane would be fun, he's clearly less of a threat now, probably getting worse, but it's a nice reference to that issue of a 'revolving door at Arkham' if he keeps escaping.

He doesn't have to be essential to the plot, or even relevant, but he'd work well as a consistant annoyance and reminder of Batman's first case.

I'd love to see the Scarecrow return with a bigger role, he's a fantastic character, and needs to be delved into deeper.

I'd like to see the original costume too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"