Should SV be filmed like 24

Reaction score
Where they shoot all the shows that way there will be no breaks? I mean I think it would be great that way and that it could work with how many breaks they take during the season anyways. I feel that it wouldn't really matter to much it they start the season late.

24 is well-developed story and continuity wise so um... Smallville has a hard enough time getting their ideas right. It certainly works in theory but whether or not they succeed at it is another question.

I personally wouldn't mind, I think that would help them craft a better narative.

Plus I hate breaks in between a show.:mad:

• Does 24 have a 10 day per ep production sked?
  • What's its budget compared to SV's?
  • Is 24 shot in Canada, necessitating breaks for cast and crew so they can be with their families?
  • Does WB (soon to be CW) prefer a longer broadcast sked for one of their highest rated shows in order to cover as many Sweeps' periods as possible?
  • Is it simply less strenuous and more cost effective to produce a show over nine months with breaks rather than six months without?
It may not be any one of the above, but these are things to consider.

Nautica7mk said:
24 is well-developed story and continuity wise so um... Smallville has a hard enough time getting their ideas right. It certainly works in theory but whether or not they succeed at it is another question.

Amen to that sister :up: :up:

Tony_Montana said:
Where they shoot all the shows that way there will be no breaks? I mean I think it would be great that way and that it could work with how many breaks they take during the season anyways. I feel that it wouldn't really matter to much it they start the season late.

Silly Tony...

They don't shoot 24 any differently to get the shows to line up like that, they just delay when they start airing them.

It takes 10 business days to shoot a Smallville episode and they start shooting in early July (last year it was the 11th, I believe) so you do the math.

If they start airing the shows in late September, they quickly get ahead of how many completed episodes they got in the can.

They have to take breaks because they run out of completed episodes, not because they're taking breaks in filming.

triplet said:
Silly Tony...

They don't shoot 24 any differently to get the shows to line up like that, they just delay when they start airing them.

I think this information right here gives (at least for me) a definitively negative answer to Tony's question. 24 began airing eps in January. Do you want new Smallville episodes to begin airing in January 2007? Because I sure don't.

TKodami said:
I think this information right here gives (at least for me) a definitively negative answer to Tony's question. 24 began airing eps in January. Do you want new Smallville episodes to begin airing in January 2007? Because I sure don't.

I have first hand experience at this coming from Australia. All new seasons are delayed until February, having begun here in the U.S. in the previous Fall.

They then play an episode each week until they are done, usually around late June or July. You then have to wait six months or more before you see a new episode.

In that time you can completely forget about a show.

I remember watching the season 1 finale of Smallville, thinking to myself at the time that I was busting chops for it to start back up again, and when it did I had forgotten all about it.

Trust me it SUCKS.

It works for 24, because the idea of the show being set over one day.

avidreader said:
I have first hand experience at this coming from Australia. All new seasons are delayed until February, having begun here in the U.S. in the previous Fall.

They then play an episode each week until they are done, usually around late June or July. You then have to wait six months or more before you see a new episode.

That's pretty harsh.

In that time you can completely forget about a show.

I remember watching the season 1 finale of Smallville, thinking to myself at the time that I was busting chops for it to start back up again, and when it did I had forgotten all about it.

Trust me it SUCKS.

It works for 24, because the idea of the show being set over one day.

I think airing all of the episodes back to back with a six month break works for 24 too, because the show is predicated around the episode-end cliffhangers for one thing, so you are constantly in a must-see-next-episode-NOW mode. Also because each season's plot arc is more or less a stand-alone event makes the six month break more bearable. Waiting six months to see Jack start a new adventure is fine, but having to wait six months to see Clark get out of the PZ is downright cruel and unusual.

I'm feeling all Australians' pain right now just thinking about it. :(

TKodami said:
I think airing all of the episodes back to back with a six month break works for 24 too, because the show is predicated around the episode-end cliffhangers for one thing, so you are constantly in a must-see-next-episode-NOW mode. Also because each season's plot arc is more or less a stand-alone event makes the six month break more bearable. Waiting six months to see Jack start a new adventure is fine, but having to wait six months to see Clark get out of the PZ is downright cruel and unusual.

Exactly! :up:

I'm feeling all Australians' pain right now just thinking about it. :(

Well the consolation to it all is that prime time slots run from 7.30 to 9.30 and they're spread out over 3 networks. So when a prime time show ends in July, another one starts up. The better ones come first in Feb, then those next in line start in July.

But there is still the six month wait between Finales and Premieres. That's why downloading is so big in other countries. No one wants to wait.

Although I don't mind a break I would like to see them take 1 break instead of 2.

It took 10 months non-stop to film this season of 24.

Bumped for Tony. Maybe he'll see it now...

triplet said:
Darthphere said:
It took 10 months non-stop to film this season of 24.

And read what I just said in the other thread. 24, The Shield, Theif, Prison Break, etc. Are all shot at once so that your actors good have more time if they are going to do a movie. Something SV could do for their actors. I am not saying they will but could do if the actors really needed it. As I said before the down part would be the season starts late but you would have no breaks.

I am not just saying 24 Pat I am talking about The Shield as well as Thief and other shows like that. The Shield for example does not happen over a one day time period yet it still works, better well written and they have longer breaks so they could do other projects. I am not saying SV has to do that but could do that if the actors had different projects they wanted to work on. Thats all I am saying forget about 24 other shows do it and it works for them during the off time they could work on the FX for SV and stuff like that. I am not saying Welling has to do movies like Troy or something on that scale but he could do other projects on a smaller scale and it wouldn't cut into their off time if it was shoot like that.

Tony_Montana said:
I am not just saying 24 Pat I am talking about The Shield as well as Thief and other shows like that. The Shield for example does not happen over a one day time period yet it still works, better well written and they have longer breaks so they could do other projects. I am not saying SV has to do that but could do that if the actors had different projects they wanted to work on. Thats all I am saying forget about 24 other shows do it and it works for them during the off time they could work on the FX for SV and stuff like that. I am not saying Welling has to do movies like Troy or something on that scale but he could do other projects on a smaller scale and it wouldn't cut into their off time if it was shoot like that.

Smallville actors get time off from April (end of shooting season) to July (beginning of shooting season).

Both 24 and Smallville take 10 months to film.

As for The Shield: that show only has 13 or less episodes a season, so of course their actors are going to have more time off... they only work something like 3 or 4 months and then have the rest of the year off.

Comparing Smallville's schedule to The Shield's is like comparing apples and organges.

Tony_Montana said:
I am not just saying 24 Pat I am talking about The Shield as well as Thief
Shield produces 13 episodes per year. Of course cast and crew would have more time to do stuff.

Thief only produced 6 episodes so far that I'm aware of, and according to Variety's TV production search engine, they're on hiatus now. :rolleyes:

The Shield for example does not happen over a one day time period
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? What happens as a part of the plot of the show has nothing to do with the production schedule.

they have longer breaks so they could do other projects.
If they shot more episodes a year, they wouldn't have longer breaks. It's a math thing, y'know?

I am not saying Welling has to do movies like Troy or something on that scale but he could do other projects on a smaller scale and it wouldn't cut into their off time if it was shoot like that.
He HAS done other projects during his off time. What is your point?

triplet said:
Both 24 and Smallville take 10 months to film.
Smallville takes closer to nine months. They usually start around the middle of July and end around the middle of April.

No. 24 is the best show on TV. And you don't mess with that:csad: :o

is today like "return of the living dead threads" day orsomething?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"