Justice League Should the Justice League #SnyderCut be made into animated movie?

eon001

Sidekick
Reaction score
I feel a completed version of the Snyder cut with completed CGI will never see the light of day. The demand just isn't strong enough, and WB won't put the money up for it.

So my suggestion is to take the Justice League Snyder cut script and re-purpose it as one of the yearly animated movies that DC puts out.

DC are not afraid to put out animated projects based on anthology stories so I can't see why this can't be one of them. Less of a financial overhead and a better return on investment.

Maybe they could even get the Justice League cast to return as voices, and we can see the original 2 part story Zack intended to shoot.

My problem with this is that is means everything that's already been shot isn't used.

All of the scenes that don't need cgi, conversations between characters (Bruce and Diana, Clark and Lois, Arthur, Mera and Vulko, Victor and his mother, Barry and Iris, Clark and Alfred... ) don't need any work, neither do the cool shots we scene in the trailers (Batman on gargoyle, Aquaman walking into the waves)
We know a lot of scenes have at least partial cgi done. It seems like a waste to disregard all the work the cast and crew put into the film and start over with the script.
I could appreciate doing this with JL Mortal, which never actually did any filming, but this is different.

Personally, Id prefer the film was released even if the cgi isn't complete. It'l be a little annoying, but it wouldn't ruin the experience for me. I watch sci-fi from the sixties where the effects have aged horribly, but I still enjoy them. I would happily watch the film even if Cyborg is just Ray Fisher is pajamas most of the time.

Something that could work is what happened with some old Doctor Who episodes. The only surviving copies were damaged and some scenes had no picture, just audio. So they made animated sections to fill in the gaps.
Make the film a hybrid, use the original footage where possible, and where there's a lot of cgi work needed, sub in an animated section.

Make the film a hybrid, use the original footage where possible, and where there's a lot of cgi work needed, sub in an animated section.

Some scenes exist with basic CGI work, which can be used as it is, other scenes which are without any CGI effects can be omitted unless they disturb the story flow, in that case just show hand drawn illustrations with original actors voice work. I don't think there will be many scenes like that.

My problem with this is that is means everything that's already been shot isn't used.

All of the scenes that don't need cgi, conversations between characters (Bruce and Diana, Clark and Lois, Arthur, Mera and Vulko, Victor and his mother, Barry and Iris, Clark and Alfred... ) don't need any work, neither do the cool shots we scene in the trailers (Batman on gargoyle, Aquaman walking into the waves)
We know a lot of scenes have at least partial cgi done. It seems like a waste to disregard all the work the cast and crew put into the film and start over with the script.
I could appreciate doing this with JL Mortal, which never actually did any filming, but this is different.

Personally, Id prefer the film was released even if the cgi isn't complete. It'l be a little annoying, but it wouldn't ruin the experience for me. I watch sci-fi from the sixties where the effects have aged horribly, but I still enjoy them. I would happily watch the film even if Cyborg is just Ray Fisher is pajamas most of the time.

Something that could work is what happened with some old Doctor Who episodes. The only surviving copies were damaged and some scenes had no picture, just audio. So they made animated sections to fill in the gaps.

Funnily enough I also suggested mixing in 2 animation to fill in the CGI shots. Similar to the O'ren ishii backstory in Kill Bill.
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (4/12) Movie CLIP - O-Ren's Revenge (2003) HD (I would post the clip from youtube but it's pretty violent and mods have guilde lines).

The overall problem is WB aren't in the habit of releasing an unfinished product, and I doubt Syder want's his movie to be seen in an uncompleted form either. Not to mention a Snyder cut release is like the studio admitting they were wrong to edit it in the first place.

I feel having animated "spiritual" cut is the best way to please everyone. I also like the Justice League Mortal animated movie idea.

No because if you want to release the Snyder cut as an animated movie then you might as well as shoot his original plan for Justice League and go a head and do a two part animated movie. What they should do is just release the movie as is. It'll still make a lot of movie. Although not as much as it could've a year ago or even a couple of months ago. The more they wait to release 3the less money they'll make off of it.

I'm sorry but I unintentionally laughed when I read the title of the read.

Also, its obvious at this point they aren't gonna do anything more with Snyder's version of Jl. That movie has been for almost 2 years.

No because if you want to release the Snyder cut as an animated movie then you might as well as shoot his original plan for Justice League and go a head and do a two part animated movie. What they should do is just release the movie as is. It'll still make a lot of movie. Although not as much as it could've a year ago or even a couple of months ago. The more they wait to release 3the less money they'll make off of it.
If you read past the thread title that's EXACTLY what I suggested.

Maybe they could even get the Justice League cast to return as voices, and we can see the original 2 part story Zack intended to shoot.

Animated movies tend to be cheaper to make and have decent return on investment. It's not ideal, but it's the best of a bad situation. If they can get it to the level of animated Flashpoint then I think that would work as a moral victory for fans.

As for releasing an unfinished cut, it just isn't worth it for WB. If they released it now, it would make such a small amount of money to them they wouldn't care. Studio heads don't think rationally like fans. If they can't make close to a billion then they won't bother with it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I unintentionally laughed when I read the title of the read.

Also, its obvious at this point they aren't gonna do anything more with Snyder's version of Jl. That movie has been for almost 2 years.
I'm honestly right there with you. My suggestion was there to try and appease the SnyderCut die hards.

I have little interest in the Snyder cut. In fact I hate BvS so much I couldn't imagine Snyder's JL being much better.

That being said there's so many random anthology animated DC projects I can't see why they couldn't do one based on Snyders script. (And maybe even Justice League Mortal, and Nic Cages Superman). A animated Snyder cut will already have a built in curious fanbase.

An animated movie or 2 part animated movie is really the only way for all parties to get what they want. With an animated film you could do whatever you want without budgetary or creative restraints. So Zack can just tell his story the way he wants. Now, granted even if it was a 2 part movie, you're working with restricted time so everything would have to be very compressed into two 80 min animated movies. I dont know if thats enough time but it’d be better than nothing. The studio would be happy because those DTVs would be the highest selling DTV’s ever guaranteed and would make them a nice profit relative to cost.

An animated movie or 2 part animated movie is really the only way for all parties to get what they want. With an animated film you could do whatever you want without budgetary or creative restraints. So Zack can just tell his story the way he wants. Now, granted even if it was a 2 part movie, you're working with restricted time so everything would have to be very compressed into two 80 min animated movies. I dont know if thats enough time but it’d be better than nothing. The studio would be happy because those DTVs would be the highest selling DTV’s ever guaranteed and would make them a nice profit relative to cost.

Exactly. Imagine the buzz around the animated "Zack Snyder cut Justice League". The SnyderCut die hards will already be locked in regardless of how they feel about not getting there live action movie and the shear curiosity from casuals will draft in more eye balls.Far less risk, and far less overhead.

Exactly. Imagine the buzz around the animated "Zack Snyder cut Justice League". The SnyderCut die hards will already be locked in regardless of how they feel about not getting there live action movie and the shear curiosity from casuals will draft in more eye balls.Far less risk, and far less overhead.

Exactly. Most of their DTV’s are profitable regardless of quality because of moderate costs. A Snyder cut DTV would generate huge buzz and everyone in the geekverse even the haters would be curious to pick it up just to be a part of rhe conversation. It’d be their highest selling DC DTV release by a considerable margin.

Exactly. Most of their DTV’s are profitable regardless of quality because of moderate costs. A Snyder cut DTV would generate huge buzz and everyone in the geekverse even the haters would be curious to pick it up just to be a part of rhe conversation. It’d be their highest selling DC DTV release by a considerable margin.
They could probably even do a limited theater run before they drop the DTV, like the did with DBZ Brolly and The Death and Return of Superman. Or do those Kevin Smith style screening tours and have the director and stars do a Q & A.

Zack Snyder directed anime version of his 2-part JL. Release it exclusively on HBO Max as a limited series with weekly episode drops.

That’s what I’d be pitching if I were at WB. Draw folks in with an niche project, incentivize them to stay by streaming episodes incrementally, and challenge Netflix in the original anime space.

Ideally film. I'd settle for animated but it seems like a waste of footage to me. I also think that if they do go the animated route, I'd like to see his two part plan instead of when they consolidated it into a single movie.

They can get Gal, Henry, Mamoa, Ezra etc to voice the roles too. I’m sure they’d all love to...except Affleck but thats no big deal. Look, after all this commotion two years later it’d be much better than nothing. I’d just like to know how the original movie played out.

Here's thing though to do this would cost the same amount or more than just to finish the live movie.

Would it? How much do these animated movies cost on average?

How much would it cost just to animate the scenes with unfinished CGI?

Would it? How much do these animated movies cost on average?
Around 6 million and that's if you're doing a 70 minute movie. This would cost double or triple that price since it would be close to 3 hrs. And have a more expensive cast.
How much would it cost just to animate the scenes with unfinished CGI?
To finish the FX in Snyder's movie they are looking at 10-15 million dollars which is why I have always said it makes no sense to do an animated movie unless you plan on doing the original 2 part idea for Justice League.

Once again the Snyder Cut as is looks a lot like X-Men Origins Wolverine when it was bootlegged.

Which isn't bad. Really they don't need to finish it but if they do they can easily make their money back and more if they release it while there is still interest in the movie.

Here's thing though to do this would cost the same amount or more than just to finish the live movie.
Well, if they were to do an animated version, I would want them to do Snyder's full 5 arc vision, not just JL1. If they were only going to do JL1, I don’t see a point, as that was just the 3rd movie in a 5 part series. What’s the point of doing part 3, without giving it a full ending? Might as well keep the JL we have now, if we’re not going to see how this story arc plays out.

But I don’t see this happening regardless, so this is just me throwing around my opinions.

Well lets be clear, IF they even did the animated route, it wouldnt be a 3 hr movie. It would be a 70-80 min movie and if we’re lucky a two parter for i guess a total of 150-160 mins MAX. If we’re being lucky. But it’d still be considerably cheaper than footing a 20-30 mill bill to finish the live action movie which, i think we all need to realize will never ever ever happen.

The challenge would be trying to condense Zack’s story within that runtime scope.

Would be no need to make five animated films to complete the arc, since MOS, BVS and WW are done.

Any option that is less than 2hrs is a non-starter for me. We've already seen how that pans out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"