Guardians of the Galaxy Should the movie have "confessional" scenes like in the comics?

Joeyjojo72

Superhero
Reaction score
Im talking about those post-mission panels where individual team members give their thoughts on whatever just happened, a la a reality show.

I found them amusing in the comics, but it might be too silly for a live action film. Or not. Could work.

Probably not. It was funny in the comics but I don't think it would or should be attempted for the movie

I'm all for it. It'd make it "relevant" for all the young folks and hipsters out there. Not to mention pretty unique among sci-fi/superhero movies.

I'm all for it. It'd make it "relevant" for all the young folks and hipsters out there. Not to mention pretty unique among sci-fi/superhero movies.

I agree, I think it could work in the film, I loved it in the comics.

My only thing is, will people assume it's Marvel basically copying Modern Family, and the Office? Because if they do it, should the film be shot in similar way to those shows? This almost reality show feel to it. Or should they just make it like any other film, but have those "confessional" scenes shot reality show style?

I think a cool way to do it, is have it shot, like they in an interrogation room, with jump cuts between security camera's POV and a camcorder POV, and at the end of the film reveal that SHIELD is behind this interrogation...

Or it could just be the debrief logs, that Mantis always pester them about...

Either way, i think it will be cool and different...

Oh please, no SHIELD. Why in the world would SHIELD be active in space, much less in a place like Knowhere? Their being the debrief logs is the only explanation you need. You certainly don't need to have SHIELD poking its nose into every corner of the universe.

Yeah calling them debrief logs is one of several ways to justify those scenes. SHIELD doesnt really apply to GotG. Not their jurisdiction.

After TA, I really think something like this is doable. All comes down to getting the tone right.

Yeah calling them debrief logs is one of several ways to justify those scenes. SHIELD doesnt really apply to GotG. Not their jurisdiction.

After TA, I really think something like this is doable. All comes down to getting the tone right.

I was just thinking that. Doing it in sort of a self debrief.. sort of like they did in Avatar.

I can't shake the feeling that it would only hurt the movie, slow it down... let the story tell itself. A movie is not a comic

Never read the comics, but I've seen the pages someone posted. But maybe not during the Movie. Would be great though if they make these debriefings a during the credits thing.

I agree, I think it could work in the film, I loved it in the comics.

My only thing is, will people assume it's Marvel basically copying Modern Family, and the Office? Because if they do it, should the film be shot in similar way to those shows? This almost reality show feel to it. Or should they just make it like any other film, but have those "confessional" scenes shot reality show style?

I think a cool way to do it, is have it shot, like they in an interrogation room, with jump cuts between security camera's POV and a camcorder POV, and at the end of the film reveal that SHIELD is behind this interrogation...

Or it could just be the debrief logs, that Mantis always pester them about...

Either way, i think it will be cool and different...

Actually, a "cinema verite" approach might work well, now that you mention it. It would lend an air of "reality" to a story that is unquestionably unreal. Kind of like the way Cloverfield works better in cinema verite, rather than as a straightforward kaiju monstaaaaah movie.

Too gimmicky. Sci fi works great when it's played straight, no reason to resort to such shenanigans

We'll get a talking Raccoon, who'll probably say wanker and uses guns. After that fact, they are allowed to do anything.

Last edited:
Absolutely. They were a wonderful addition to the comics. It would be a fun and entertaining way to introduce the cast and move the story. If you read GOTG #1 you can see how effective those "Debriefing" scenes can be to move the story forward and familiarize the audience with the characters. Not to mention they were pretty funny.

It'd be a nice new take on the superhero/space epic genres.

dwight-schrute-the-office-rainn-wilson.jpg

"On the Schrute beat farm, Raccoons were a delicacy; but first, you'd have to catch one."

Absolutely. They were a wonderful addition to the comics. It would be a fun and entertaining way to introduce the cast and move the story. If you read GOTG #1 you can see how effective those "Debriefing" scenes can be to move the story forward and familiarize the audience with the characters. Not to mention they were pretty funny.

It'd be a nice new take on the superhero/space epic genres.

I agree. I do want to see this in the movie. It get things moving along a lot quicker and I love those moments of forshadowing in it. Not to mention seeing someone's real reaction when they're saying something else entirely can be pretty funny. Someone brought up The Office and I think that's exactly how it should and will work. Especially when the characters all introduce themselves and you get to Groot and it's just his legs and him saying "I AM GROOT!".:woot:

Start the movie off with the team on a mission.during this mission you show them all kicking ass then between ass kicking you show each member in a confessional answering log questions.then after that the movie really begins.like a title sequence

danny boyle did something similar to this in his movie sunshine. it was a cool looking shot that could work in gotg.

sunshinepic5.jpg

It was more like debriefing imo, which I think would be totally cool. Maybe not for the entire movie. But definitely at the beginning or the end or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"