Stand-Alone Movies Should the saga stories be retitled to distinguish from the standalones?

hellified

Civilian
Reaction score
Sooo since R-1 is a stand alone prequal and other stories are coming out that exist in the universe but NOT really a part of the OT does that mean that Ep 1- 7 and subsequent eps should be retitled STAR WARS - THE SKYWALKER SAGA to distinguish from the other stories???

No.

I realize that the film itself only said the title, but all marketing has distinguished Rogue One as "A Star Wars Story". While that doesn't enlighten everyone, it gets its point across to most people. That said, despite what Lucas used to say, despite whatever stance Disney takes now, I feel a label like "The Skywalker Saga" takes a bit away from the overall nature of the saga. Yes, the prequels are Anakin's fall, and the OT is Luke's path to redeeming Vader and saving the galaxy, but that leaves out Obi-wan, Han, and many other characters vital to the story. Not to mention, TFA wasn't really a "Skywalker Story". It revolved around finding Luke, and has ties to Anakin through Leia and Kylo's devotion to him. Otherwise, it didn't really have much to do with the Skywalkers.

TL;DR , I think people will figure out that there are the main trilogies, and then there are the side-story films. I think in that respect though, all should be received as part of the Saga. I mena, look how well RO tied into A New Hope.

No.

I realize that the film itself only said the title, but all marketing has distinguished Rogue One as "A Star Wars Story". While that doesn't enlighten everyone, it gets its point across to most people. That said, despite what Lucas used to say, despite whatever stance Disney takes now, I feel a label like "The Skywalker Saga" takes a bit away from the overall nature of the saga. Yes, the prequels are Anakin's fall, and the OT is Luke's path to redeeming Vader and saving the galaxy, but that leaves out Obi-wan, Han, and many other characters vital to the story. Not to mention, TFA wasn't really a "Skywalker Story". It revolved around finding Luke, and has ties to Anakin through Leia and Kylo's devotion to him. Otherwise, it didn't really have much to do with the Skywalkers.

TL;DR , I think people will figure out that there are the main trilogies, and then there are the side-story films. I think in that respect though, all should be received as part of the Saga. I mena, look how well RO tied into A New Hope.

The Star Wars nine episode series is about the Skywalker clan. From 1 to 6 was about Anakin and Luke and as far as 7 goes we don't know who Rey is related to....she very well may be a skywalker in some way. If she isn't it will be a MAJOR deviation from the other two trilogies and that might not sit too well (I know it won't from me).

Also as far as the saga is concerned fans have put too much emphasis on the other characters around the skywalkers..The Star Wars saga isn't about a bunch of different people, it's about the Skywalker family. If episodes 8, 9 are throwing a bunch of people at us WHO AREN'T SKYWALKERS as prominent characters then they screwed up.

Going strictly by the movies, not the novels or comics just the films, what's Han Solo's background? he's Corellian smuggler aaannnd?? What's Chewbacca's background? He's a Wookiee who is Han's sidekick aaand?? Lando Calrissian? Friend of Han's, administrator of cloud city, once owned the millennium falcon aaand? Yoda?? reeally old jedi master aand??

These were great characters but they were what they did..Lucas wisely didn't get into them because the story wasn't about them, it was about Luke, Leia and Vader, all Skywalkers.

Heck Boba Fett is a perfect example of fans building up a character more than it needed to be. Boba Fett was a one off character who had little effect on the story and DIED in Return Of The Jedi...yes he died, he was supposed to, you know why, because he's just a side character! All totaled up Fett had LESS than 3 minutes of screen time and MAYBE two speaking lines over two movies. Thats it.

I get it, Boba Fett is cool looking, with the helmet and the gear and jet pack, I totally get it. He's a space bounty hunter! If man ever colonizes space, I guarantee you there will be a line around the corner for intergalactic bounty hunter and I'll be at the head of it. I even had the classic Boba Fett poster as a kid. So yes Boba Fett is the mother****ing man. But that doesn't negate the fact that he was just a side character. His fanboy popularity is the reason Lucas shoehorned him into the prequels and even in that its pretty clear his presence is even more marginal than it was in 4 and 5. Every fan fiction story has Fett surviving the Sarlacc Pit and its so much BS. I for one would NOT be interested in Boba Fett: A Star Wars story.

So the saga is a SKYWALKER SAGA where we follow the journey of how the Force and politics of the Empire/Rebellion impacted this one family. Getting into anything else dilutes that and really alters the core of what we fell in love with..imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"