Should there be Episodes 10, 11, and 12?

Grootster

Dancing Tree
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily asking "will there be" (since it will probably happen at some point), but rather I'm asking "should it happen?"

I'm going to put my opinions in spoiler tags just because they're kind of long. Short version: I don't want more numbered movies after Episode 9, I feel like more interesting things can be done with spinoffs and that getting more than nine numbered movies would be too overwhelming and cheapen the brand.

I'm sure a lot of you know by now that I'm not a big fan of the direction that the current sequel trilogy is going, but regardless of how it turns out, I'd personally prefer the saga to stop after Episode 9. This may seem weird since the sequel trilogy would be the last taste in my mouth, but I'd still prefer that be what happens. Why? For one thing, getting another trilogy doesn't necessarily mean it will appeal to me any more than this trilogy. If it's made by the same crew, it will likely be about the same, and I'd just prefer not sit through another 4 to 6 years of that.

But aside from my personal taste in the direction of this series (since there are a lot of people who are fine with it), there are other reasons that I'd prefer the saga end after Episode 9:

#1. Lucas' original vision was for three series' of three movies each. I know Lucas isn't in charge of the franchise anymore, but I still feel like they should respect his vision to some degree.

#2. Endless movies mean that we'll never really get closure to the Skywalker saga. It's fine for some series too continue indefinitely, but they've already prolonged it with this trilogy (might I add after ROTJ's near-perfect ending), how many times can they "end" the series before people get tired of seeing resolutions that aren't really resolutions, and knowing there will never really be a real resolution to everything?

#3. Recycled ideas. Even ignoring the fact that the Star Wars franchise tends to 'rhyme' ideas and imagery between trilogies, stories of this type require a certain formula to operate, and there's really only so much you can do after a while. New galactic overloard, new weapon, new hero, etc. It will be similar to the 'formulaic' complaints that some people make about Marvel movies, but dialed up even higher. Unless they're willing to really play around with the formatting and dabble in different and unconventional storytelling techniques, they won't be able to continue forever and keep each movie new and fresh.

#4. There's a lot more to explore in spinoffs (which I think they should continue). Instead of being limited to similar formulas, tones, and themes with another Skywalker trilogy, they could create all new characters and jump around to any time period they want, even as-yet unseen time periods. If new characters in spinoffs end up being popular with fans, they could even give these new characters their own trilogies (just not numbered the same way as the Skywalker saga).

#5. Finally, if we get too many numbered movies, it might cheapen the name of the saga and/or confuse people. I tend to avoid movie series' that have too many films, because it's kind of overwhelming, and half the time I never even know where to start. Star Wars has the benefit of being numbered so knowing where to start shouldn't be too much of a problem, but then you get into the debate of which order to view them in. Will as many people want to get into the saga in the future if there are 24 Star Wars films to catch up on, and everyone's giving them a very specific viewing order that they have to memorize? Also, doesn't "Star Wars: Episode 24" sort of have a comical sound to it, almost like a parody? I'm not sure I really want to get up to that point.

This is just my opinion, I can certainly see the other side of the argument for wanting more. What do you all think?

I don't have a problem with them continuing the skywalker story beyond episode 9, but I think you need to space them out timewise. From OT to PT we had 16 years, and only a decade from PT to ST. That way the films feel a little more special and the audience is less likely to suffer from Star Wars burnout.

Should there be Episodes 10, 11, and 12?

Yup.

I have not yet been grabbed by people who work for any movie studio and dragged at gunpoint to a theater and forced to watch their movies. If I don't want to see a movie....I don't watch it. I don't try to make it so that the ones who do want to see it can't. If I don't want to see anymore in a series....I don't try to shut down any future movies in the series. I just don't watch them. I have a choice. I have the ability to exercise my choice.

I think the saga should be about the Skywalker line so we don't have a lot of options that would lead to more Skywalkers.

I don't think that Disney/Lucasfilm see it being about the Skywalkers anymore though since the new trilogy isn't about Ben/Kylo Ren. It also feels like a very weak chapter in a Skywalker saga compared to the first two trilogies.

I'd probably prefer them to leave the Skywalkers and the saga and just do new stuff. I'm more interested in the two trilogies that are said to be completely disconnected from the saga than I am to see more numbered SW films.

Mjölnir;36334805 said:
I don't think that Disney/Lucasfilm see it being about the Skywalkers anymore though since the new trilogy isn't about Ben/Kylo Ren. It also feels like a very weak chapter in a Skywalker saga compared to the first two trilogies.

They still refer to the numbered episodic films as the Skywalker saga. And it isn't fair to say the ST hasn't been about Kylo, despite it being ensemble driven and Rey being the protagonist. He's been a hugely important character, so much so that what ends up happening with him in IX will determine if the Skywalker saga can continue. If he dies without having any children, you can be sure IX will be it for the episodic films.

In answer to the question of the thread, no. I think they should start new trilogies unrelated to the Skywalker saga, i.e. 1-9, in addition to one offs , spin offs etc and truly make a fresh break with new characters and no baggage.

Johnson was right about leaving the past behind and looking to the future. The thing is, you can't look talk about leaving the past behind and looking to the future if you keep going back to the past , i.e. the OT and PT plots and characters for plot and story ideas in the future.

They can't complain about old fans being "unable to move on" or " its not for you" on the one hand , then turn around and ask them to" come see a prequel about Han solo!" or even something which is built on nostalgia for the aging fanbase.

They can't have their cake and eat it too from a creative pov. When you have a 40 year old continuing series of films which haven't really moved beyond one family or set of characters, the only way you truly move forward is to cut the cord and do something new.

Abrams eventually had to create a whole new timeline for the Star Trek films and tv shows because of a similar problem of a series in continuity going on for 40 odd years before 2009. The Bond producers had to out and out reboot the series because it had gone on from 1962 to 2002 .

If Disney/Lucasfilm were willing to out and out reboot SW like most franchises tend to do , that would be one thing.

However, It seems to me, if you really want something new , dynamic, and unpredictable from SW and I don't see why you'd want to holding on to episodes 10 through infinity, which started in 1977.

If you want episode 10-12 and so forth to keep going, you've got to be prepared for the potential and possibility of a director or screenwriter down the line retconning parts or characters in episode 7-9 or even older than that. Don't think it couldn't happen either. This Hollywood, nothing is that sacred.

That's my view , though I actually wouldn't be surprised if Lucasfilm is considering moving on from the Skywalker 1-9 saga films and moving toward new saga films with new characters start from episode 1.

IMO no. Now if they wish to do more SW films dealing with other stuff, like say one based on the clone wars or one on the old sith empire, then i can see them doing that..

To say it's never going to happen is the height of arrogance. While Lucasfilm has plans beyond the "episodic Skywalker saga" that doesn't mean they will never revisit it.

Sort of very random comparison but look at Gundam. Gundam franchise has all these alternate and parallel universes. But Bandai/Sunrise will typically revisit the "Universal Century/One-Year War" plotline of the original.

I think after Episode 9 they will move away from episodic for a while, but I think at some point, even if it's 10 years from now or more, there will be a return to the episodic saga.

I mean should there be or not? I would say there should especially if there's a good story there to explore.

I definitely want 10, 11 and 12. But I also want many other films investigating the far reaches of the Star Wars universe.

They still refer to the numbered episodic films as the Skywalker saga. And it isn't fair to say the ST hasn't been about Kylo, despite it being ensemble driven and Rey being the protagonist. He's been a hugely important character, so much so that what ends up happening with him in IX will determine if the Skywalker saga can continue. If he dies without having any children, you can be sure IX will be it for the episodic films.

Both the previous trilogies had a Skywalker as the main character. The new one does not. Kylo is an important character but not even close to be in a position that the trilogy is about him. Rey has the most screen time by far so she's clearly the main character.

I wish that it was about Kylo Ren though since he was a much better written character than Rey in TFA. Unfortunately neither of them had very good character development in TLJ but Kylo remains the one with much more potential to be interesting. Rey is pretty bland to me.

I gotta be honest, if they push ahead with the numbered saga/Skywalker films (episodes 10, 11, 12, etc) I may use Episode 9 as a jumping off point, especially if they continue with the same cast. I'm sort of curious about how this storyline will conclude (so I might as well finish watching this trilogy), but I have no desire to see beyond that. I hope they just stick to spinoffs after this trilogy is over.

New trilogies with new characters is really the future of SW as opposed to going forward with episode 10-12 imo. Do something new.

I agree. BUT it seems Holy weird is so suck on reboots, remakes and sequel fever, we imo won't get much in the realm of new stuff.

I agree. BUT it seems Holy weird is so suck on reboots, remakes and sequel fever, we imo won't get much in the realm of new stuff.

Well , the problem Disney and Lucasfilm have is that its an old, ongoing franchise. For all the talk of "letting the past die" and "moving on" its an 40 year old ongoing series which keeps returning to the past with films like Rouge One and Solo, but yet says that the SW franchise needs to move on from the past as with TLJ.

Its never had different versions or reboots like Batman, Superman, and Spiderman. Its basically been Lucas's baby up until recently.

Now they effectively want to reboot yet they , as of now, haven't made a full clean break from the saga films and told new stories unconnected to the last 40 years of SW.

Hopefully these new trilogies and films will actually be new stories with new characters and settings.

This is what I'm worried about. There's so much stuff to explore in the Star Wars universe, but I'm afraid that they're never going to take that chance.

The Last Jedi tried to be different, but it wasn't different enough. It's not a good sign when the movie says "let the past die", but then ends with AT-AT walkers and basically says "the Jedi will always be around." A lot of people talk like TLJ took Star Wars in a new direction, but I think it actually reinforced the status-quo more than ever, it almost went out of it's way to do so.

This is what I'm worried about. There's so much stuff to explore in the Star Wars universe, but I'm afraid that they're never going to take that chance.

The Last Jedi tried to be different, but it wasn't different enough. It's not a good sign when the movie says "let the past die", but then ends with AT-AT walkers and basically says "the Jedi will always be around." A lot of people talk like TLJ took Star Wars in a new direction, but I think it actually reinforced the status-quo more than ever, it almost went out of it's way to do so.

Well, it was a statement about where Johnson felt the SW franchise should go, yet the film itself basically subverts established tropes of the series without really make the break from the past and doing something new.

That's why I feel its untenable to talk about moving on when you keep moving backwards. If they want to hold onto the past and keep making saga films then fine, but don't claim you're making a break from the past and doing something new with SW.

Should there be eventually? I would say yes. Every generation should have THEIR saga. That said, I'd retire the saga for a decade before bringing it back. I don't want Episode X in like 2021. Too little time. Now, like 2027? Sure!

Should there be eventually? I would say yes. Every generation should have THEIR saga. That said, I'd retire the saga for a decade before bringing it back. I don't want Episode X in like 2021. Too little time. Now, like 2027? Sure!

I think they're a given but not for a while yet...

We've got Episode IX and apparently now Boba Fett in the next two years, then there's Rian Johnson's (Outer Rim?) Trilogy and Benioff & Weiss' (KOTOR?) Trilogy, along with other possible films such as Obi Wan, Yoda and Han Solo 2 or Lando...

...Say they up their release rate to 3 films every 2 years, that would take us up to 2027-28ish so I reckon that's not a bad guess for Episode X to be on it's way...

...and I'd expect a fourth Saga Trilogy to be set in the future more around the time of the Star Wars: Legacy comics.

Also, within that kind of timespan there's time for the current wave of TV series in the works to reach their finale and new ones to be introduced to fill the gaps between IX and a presumably much later X.

At this point , I suspect the next saga films won't be Episode 10,11, and 12. I actually think they'll stay away from the from the Skywalker saga films 1-9 and the next saga films will be totally new and separate from 1-9.

Nine , I suspect Lucasfilm may in fact decide to finally make a break from the past and try to push their new SW characters than going back to an episode 10,11, and 12.

Something like the GOT guys trilogy or Johnson's trilogy may in effect be the new saga films for a new generation.

All for them, as long as Rian Johnson stays the f*** away.

Sounds like Rian's the guy for the job then. They should do it if only just out of spite.

Oh, and Kelly's some uber-force-whiz with a huge lead role.

We've got Episode IX and apparently now Boba Fett in the next two years, then there's Rian Johnson's (Outer Rim?) Trilogy and Benioff & Weiss' (KOTOR?) Trilogy, along with other possible films such as Obi Wan, Yoda and Han Solo 2 or Lando…

Well... Boba Fett is now toast along with all the other Star Wars Story spinoffs.

That pretty much means... RJ's 'trilogy' is also on life support. But we knew that after his last SW movie poisoned the well. Unfortunately we had to wait for Solo to prove the case.

About the only one that has a chance of survival is B & W's trilogy, and that may end up being repurposed as 10-12.

...Say they up their release rate to 3 films every 2 years, that would take us up to 2027-28ish

Oh.. the halcyon days of earlier in the month before the bill for TLJ finally came due. :/

I'm not necessarily asking "will there be" (since it will probably happen at some point), but rather I'm asking "should it happen?"

I'm going to put my opinions in spoiler tags just because they're kind of long. Short version: I don't want more numbered movies after Episode 9, I feel like more interesting things can be done with spinoffs and that getting more than nine numbered movies would be too overwhelming and cheapen the brand.

I'm sure a lot of you know by now that I'm not a big fan of the direction that the current sequel trilogy is going, but regardless of how it turns out, I'd personally prefer the saga to stop after Episode 9. This may seem weird since the sequel trilogy would be the last taste in my mouth, but I'd still prefer that be what happens. Why? For one thing, getting another trilogy doesn't necessarily mean it will appeal to me any more than this trilogy. If it's made by the same crew, it will likely be about the same, and I'd just prefer not sit through another 4 to 6 years of that.

But aside from my personal taste in the direction of this series (since there are a lot of people who are fine with it), there are other reasons that I'd prefer the saga end after Episode 9:

#1. Lucas' original vision was for three series' of three movies each. I know Lucas isn't in charge of the franchise anymore, but I still feel like they should respect his vision to some degree.

#2. Endless movies mean that we'll never really get closure to the Skywalker saga. It's fine for some series too continue indefinitely, but they've already prolonged it with this trilogy (might I add after ROTJ's near-perfect ending), how many times can they "end" the series before people get tired of seeing resolutions that aren't really resolutions, and knowing there will never really be a real resolution to everything?

#3. Recycled ideas. Even ignoring the fact that the Star Wars franchise tends to 'rhyme' ideas and imagery between trilogies, stories of this type require a certain formula to operate, and there's really only so much you can do after a while. New galactic overloard, new weapon, new hero, etc. It will be similar to the 'formulaic' complaints that some people make about Marvel movies, but dialed up even higher. Unless they're willing to really play around with the formatting and dabble in different and unconventional storytelling techniques, they won't be able to continue forever and keep each movie new and fresh.

#4. There's a lot more to explore in spinoffs (which I think they should continue). Instead of being limited to similar formulas, tones, and themes with another Skywalker trilogy, they could create all new characters and jump around to any time period they want, even as-yet unseen time periods. If new characters in spinoffs end up being popular with fans, they could even give these new characters their own trilogies (just not numbered the same way as the Skywalker saga).

#5. Finally, if we get too many numbered movies, it might cheapen the name of the saga and/or confuse people. I tend to avoid movie series' that have too many films, because it's kind of overwhelming, and half the time I never even know where to start. Star Wars has the benefit of being numbered so knowing where to start shouldn't be too much of a problem, but then you get into the debate of which order to view them in. Will as many people want to get into the saga in the future if there are 24 Star Wars films to catch up on, and everyone's giving them a very specific viewing order that they have to memorize? Also, doesn't "Star Wars: Episode 24" sort of have a comical sound to it, almost like a parody? I'm not sure I really want to get up to that point.

This is just my opinion, I can certainly see the other side of the argument for wanting more. What do you all think?

Just because there is a number in the title doesn't automatically mean it is cheapening the brand. Nor does continuing the Saga movies automatically mean the they'll get less interesting.

Stuff like viewing orders, etc. is irrelevant and you seem to be suggesting stopping the Saga "just because" regardless of if there is a story to tell - thetas my understanding of your opinion anyway. I can understand a wariness since you don't like the ST but this doesn't mean a continuation of the Saga with different creatives wouldn't make you feel different.

And yes, Lucas had an outline for three trilogies but he also had an outline for four trilogies. :) And the fact he isn't in charge anymore and the fact the story has not gone in the direction he had intended means anything is possible.

And we actually are getting closure to the Skywalker story. Luke and Leia are gone now and unless Kylo Ren redeems himself in IX he will most likely have to die. This will end the Skywalker line unless it is revealed he has had a child. Or maybe the First Order wins a the Skywalker bloodline continues in darkness.

Anyway, the Saga movies should not end, or continue, "just because". It depends on the story and characters involved.

Mjölnir;36334805 said:
I think the saga should be about the Skywalker line so we don't have a lot of options that would lead to more Skywalkers.

I'd probably prefer them to leave the Skywalkers and the saga and just do new stuff. I'm more interested in the two trilogies that are said to be completely disconnected from the saga than I am to see more numbered SW films.

The ST is about Ben/Kylo as much as it is about Rey.

New trilogies with new characters is really the future of SW as opposed to going forward with episode 10-12 imo. Do something new.

Why does it need to be trilogies?

Again, that is something that depends on the story and characters.

I'm not suggesting they keep pumping out Saga films but suppose some new films maker comes along with a great idea for a new Saga trilogy for Rey, etc. . It would be foolish to put it on hold just for the sake of putting it on hold.

Do it when the time is right.

We've got Episode IX and apparently now Boba Fett in the next two years, then there's Rian Johnson's (Outer Rim?) Trilogy and Benioff & Weiss' (KOTOR?) Trilogy, along with other possible films such as Obi Wan, Yoda and Han Solo 2 or Lando...

...Say they up their release rate to 3 films every 2 years, that would take us up to 2027-28ish so I reckon that's not a bad guess for Episode X to be on it's way...

...and I'd expect a fourth Saga Trilogy to be set in the future more around the time of the Star Wars: Legacy comics.

Also, within that kind of timespan there's time for the current wave of TV series in the works to reach their finale and new ones to be introduced to fill the gaps between IX and a presumably much later X.

A jump of a hundred years?

No, a forth trilogy would focus on Rey and her friends. They are popular characters and actors and they'll bring them back.

Sounds like Rian's the guy for the job then. They should do it if only just out of spite.

I'm looking forward to more Rain Johnson Star Wars and a lot more Rose because both are great.

However, I'm also a fan of spite so I'd get get a kick out of that too. :)

[YT]

I'm looking forward to more Rain Johnson Star Wars and a lot more Rose because both are great.

However, I'm also a fan of spite so I'd get get a kick out of that too. :)

https://youtu.be/fP0MXJAQhmo[/YT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"