The Flash Should they have waited for Grodd?

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
I felt Grodd would have made for a great main villain for season 2. While they still could do that, I wonder if featuring him for an episode steals his thunder.

I remember reading that he will be the villain of season 2 (or one of them) and is getting the Slade treatment on season 1.

I think introducing him in Season 1 is reasonable. Barry has so far done pretty well with his villains, with the exception of Cold. So it'll be nice to have someone that is more difficult for him to fight, that will make sense for him to be introduced now.

Why was there a second train immediately following the first?

I guess it's all due to budgetary reaons.

They have barely shown Grodd during this season, always in the dark or with "movie tricks", just for seconds until this last episode where they also had him mostly in the dark.

Being hidden in the sewers made sense for the plot but was probably a budgetary choice because with a tv budget (specially if it's not for really big productions like the ones from the HBO, never seen in The CW) you just can't have the kind of fx that are seen in big feature films, creating a somewhat realistic big cgi gorilla with that kind of budget must be really hard, and it looks much better in the dark, it would probably look much worse if he was shown in the light of the day, and they couldn't barely have him in a few scenes in this episode, they probably just couldn't afford to have him as the main villain for a full season, like they probably couldn't afford to have him in too many scenes and all of them would probably set during the night or in dark places, the viewers would eventually notice it and would wonder why Grodd is barely shown in every episode and always in the dark if he is the main villain, it worked in this season because he wasn't the main villain and he didn't have to appear in several crucial scenes of every episode.

I might be wrong, maybe he'll be seen more usually during season 2, but if it was as the main villain they would probably need a much bigger budget or cut the budget for other stuff. I think that's the main problem, decent cgi costs a lot of money, and I guess it's harder for a relatively cheap tv show to pull this kind of stuff in every episode, making a cgi Flash in certain scenes is probably much easier, if they didn't do a really good job Grodd could have looked really ridiculous in this episode, they can't just call Andy Serkis and ILM to make a realistic big gorilla for every episode.

I feel his appearances this season have been great and have really worked if the plan is to have him as S2's major bad. It means they can jump straight into the good stuff with him.

That being said, I don't think we necessarily needed 'Grodd lives' and an actual Barry-Grodd encounter just yet. Just knowing he was lurking in the sewers would have been enough.

But lets face it, the episode was cool. Didn't need him going King Kong at the end, but blocking the super sonic punch is one for the highlight reel!

Well now Barry knows he's out there. Hopefully the next time we see him, he's quoting Shakespeare or something.

What became of Grodd after he leaped off the building? Can he even exist without Wells/Thawne?

I don't see how him showing up this season is an issue.

Me neither. I kind of look at his relatively short appearance this season as a kind of teaser. The next time he'll be more or less fully evolved intelligence-wise and not talk like Tarzan any more.

Be glad for what we got. The cage in first episode was a teaser that blew up, making them have to do him.

Be glad for what we got. The cage in first episode was a teaser that blew up, making them have to do him.

Have to? I am quite sure what we got was precisely their intention from day one.

No reason it can't be a little of both: the teaser was intended as a teaser for what they wanted to do eventually. The attention the teaser got, plus the success of the show in general, is why they did him in the first season as quickly as they did.

I felt Grodd would have made for a great main villain for season 2. While they still could do that, I wonder if featuring him for an episode steals his thunder.

I thought it was good to introduce Grodd during 1st season to the point we see their first fight. So we can see how he has developed and grown stronger the next time we see him.

No it was good to see Grodd and the dark setting made his telepathy and size more intimidating.

I want him in season 2 I would even be up for him being the main villain lots of potential.

But I want to see the train injured him and that's why he has now developed and is wearing his armour.
Or the helmet could magnify his telepathy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"