should thor fly or should he be pulled by his hammer?

spider-neil

spins a web any size!
Reaction score
how should thor propel himself through the air?

how should thor hover?

if thor is airbound and flings his hammer what should happen?

If he flies in the film....and I think it's probably a big if, the hammer should definitely pull him. If he throws it, it always comes back to him, so he would drop, gracefully of course, until it returns.

If he flies in the film....and I think it's probably a big if, the hammer should definitely pull him. If he throws it, it always comes back to him, so he would drop, gracefully of course, until it returns.

in hulk vs thor, thor is definately flying. he is in the air and flings his hammer at hulk but is still hovering.

Thing is..........Thor flying is an invention purely of the comics. Made possible by throwing the hammer, then quickly grabbing the strap. It is not the ability of the hammer to fly per se., but the momentum of that powerful throw that carries Thor along behind the hammer. It's kind of akin to the Hulk's leap; once momentum is spent Thor would begin to fall.

I always loved that explanation and the image of Thor spinning the hammer in a circle to throw it and himself into the sky, I'ld love to see that on film, but at the same time I'm not sure how that would play out on film. Hence my "if he flies on film" observation.

Thing is..........Thor flying is an invention purely of the comics. Made possible by throwing the hammer, then quickly grabbing the strap. It is not the ability of the hammer to fly per se., but the momentum of that powerful throw that carries Thor along behind the hammer. It's kind of akin to the Hulk's leap; once momentum is spent Thor would begin to fall.

I always loved that explanation and the image of Thor spinning the hammer in a circle to throw it and himself into the sky, I'ld love to see that on film, but at the same time I'm not sure how that would play out on film. Hence my "if he flies on film" observation.

it definately will be interesting to see how they portry thor's take off. if they hae hemsworth spin the hammer really quickly and then yank him off the floor or if they do the entire sequence with CG

Yeah,I think it's absolutley necessary that they show Thor spining Mjolnir in a great arc and having it pull him into the clouds!

He needs to be shown spinning the hammer and taking off with it as it's pretty much Thor's thing but at the same time I wan't him to be able to stay afloat still fighting while his hammer is momenterily separated from him after he's thrown it. He has to be able to fly to some degree as well.

He needs to be shown spinning the hammer and taking off with it as it's pretty much Thor's thing but at the same time I wan't him to be able to stay afloat still fighting while his hammer is momenterily separated from him after he's thrown it. He has to be able to fly to some degree as well.

this is going to be the major issue for the effects people, picture it;

thor sees a 30 foot tall frost giant, throws his hammer and takes off, when thor is within striking distance he swings the hammer above his head like a helicopter propeller and hovers above the giant, then thor throws his hammer with all of his might at the frost giant...

thor is 30 feet in the air, what should happen

a) he should float until the hammer hits its mark and returns to his hand
b) he should immediately start to fall once the hammer is thrown and only when the hammer returns to his hand should his free fall stop as he spins the hammer above his head again

in the case of 'b' (remember thor can't fly) how good will that look on the big screen. to tell the truth it sound horrible.

The hammer-flying is the ridiculous thing about Thor. I love it when Marvel fans bash Superman as stupid and then they praise a guy who throws a hammer into the air and hangs on to fly.

What about maybe…

c) when in the air and he throws his hammer, it does something of a full circle back to him (instead of returning straight to him) so, as he’s falling gracefully the hammer passes by him again from behind, so, he can grab it and keep going forward without it losing its momentum
(if that makes any sense to how it work in the comic, idk, don't really fellow them that closely)

for the most part while in the air if being pulled be the hammer, even once he lets go, or throws it, he wouldn't just stop mid air and start falling straight down (like the, wiley coyote), he'd still be moving in a forward momentum, and not so much be fly, but, almost kinda gliding, so to speak
(again if any of that makes sense, i mean, I am no expert in physics)

I wouldn't mind if the hammer grants him the ability to fly, since it's a with magic imbued item. I just don't like the idea of him constantly swinging and throwing the hammer for continued flight or when he has to change directions.

well, idk, about him flying long distances, where he has to continually throw it, or change dictions, I think that is best left avoid

he shouldn't be using this ability to fly around like superman, more just for quick distance leaps (kinda like the hulks jumping) or to get up into the air, in a battle against, giants, flying opponents, or air crafts (once in a modern setting)

I can't see him really needing to fly any great distances, like that

hmm i dont know much on the thor character so i dont know how things about flying and his hammer all work out.

hmm i dont know much on the thor character so i dont know how things about flying and his hammer all work out.

in the marvel handbook it definately state that thor doesn't fly, therefore if he is air bound and throws his hammer he SHOULD fall, the question is how good would that look on the big screen.

I don't think Thor should fall just like that when he throws his hammer. It wouldn't look good on screen. I'm thinking what if the hammer grants him temporary levetation when he throws it.

If the hammer somehow doesn't return to him for several seconds, he should fall slowly and gracefully. I think that would look good on screen.

He needs some degree of flight. Sure, the comics say he uses the momentum when he throws his hammer, but you never see him crash down when he reaches his intended landing spot. He always descends rather gracefully. You never see him abruptly fall down.

I'm voting for the hammer to grant him flight. And the classic swing and throw activates it. I actually want him to be able to stay in the air when he casts all his lighting and thunder.

I'm sure nobody complained when he could float in the MUA Intro.

[YT]ehSMJypYSDM[/YT]

I think he should move like in the Ultimates, as a lightning. Look better on screen.

the reason thor doesn't crash into the ground is because he begins to swing his hammer like a helicopter propeller. I don't have a problem with thor's landings or take offs or even how he hovers because he is using the hammer to achieve it, its when the hammer leaves his hand, that's the problem.

Swinging his hammer like a propeller, now if that isn't going to look silly on screen.

I don't think so. Personally, I think that would look kinda cool, but that's just me. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Thor also wear a belt that has mystical properties? If so, couldn't one of said powers be that it allows the wearer to control his molecular density where he may become lighter or heavier than normal depending on the circumstances? When he releases the hammer in a throw, he will start to fall in the direction his momentum was taking him, but at a slightly slower, more controlled rate. When Mjolnir returns in it's arc, Thor can catch it and either continue on in his original course or alter it in another direction. Just a thought.

Last edited:
He can summon the hammer to come to him with his thoughts. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that he could us the hammer to stay in the air.

while, beside the use of his hammer

what about explaining it as part of his control of the elements

how does Storm or Electro fly? doesn't it have something to do with the manipulation of electric currents, creating a static lifting effect..... or something like that

ok, I don't really know how exactly to explain it....

anyone??? is there something there that they could work with???

while, beside the use of his hammer

what about explaining it as part of his control of the elements

how does Storm or Electro fly? doesn't it have something to do with the manipulation of electric currents, creating a static lifting effect..... or something like that

ok, I don't really know how exactly to explain it....

anyone??? is there something there that they could work with???

I bet that would look cool on film. When he lets go of the hammer, electric current travels from him to the ground and possibly the hammer as well on it's return flight.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Personally, I think that would look kinda cool, but that's just me. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Thor also wear a belt that has mystical properties? If so, couldn't one of said powers be that it allows the wearer to control his molecular density where he may become lighter or heavier than normal depending on the circumstances? When he releases the hammer in a throw, he will start to fall in the direction his momentum was taking him, but at a slightly slower, more controlled rate. When Mjolnir returns in it's arc, Thor can catch it and either continue on in his original course or alter it in another direction. Just a thought.

thor's belt of strength is from norse legend. it doubles his strength but that's about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"