should thor fly or should he be pulled by his hammer?

the thing is the hammer pull is what separates thor from everyone else

batman - drives
superman - flies
hulk - jumps
spidey - web swings
xmen - jet
thor - hammer pull

I think the visual could look amazing if done correctly

Your point kinda won me over. I voted for teh pull. :D

The question is whether the effects guys will be able to do it correctly with the budget they've got.

they should attempt to use as little CG as possible. the first superman movie was in the 70's and is a HELL of a lot more convincing than routh flying around

I think creating the effect of a person being pulled by an hammer through the sky, is just going to look awkward. Especially the take off. He'd get literally yanked off the ground, throwing his hammer. Just let Mjolnir give him the ability to fly. It looked great in the DTVs and the MUA cutscenes.

Nah I say it wouldn't look any different than Supes flying.
Thor and Mjolnir are one, now granted this is from the 1st draft, but they explain that Thor and Mjolnir have to get used to each other. With Thor mentally controlling Mjolnir it may as well be flying.

The very thought of Thor being pulled by his thrown hammer is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I don't care if it's been canon for 40 years, I don't care if the creator of Thor himself came up with it, I don't care if Marvel supports it; it is THE STUPIDEST THING they could possibly put in this film.

I think some folks are getting too caught up with the description and imagining something awkward. The hammer pulling Thor is merely the explanation. The action will essentially look like Superman flying. Mjolnir will simply be in front of Thor. But the take-off will be led by Thor whirling and hurling the hammer. Nothing awkward about it.

I think some folks are getting too caught up with the description and imagining something awkward. The hammer pulling Thor is merely the explanation. The action will essentially look like Superman flying. Mjolnir will simply be in front of Thor. But the take-off will be led by Thor whirling and hurling the hammer. Nothing awkward about it.

exactly, when thor is in flight he will essential be exactly like superman (but with less moveability) the ony thing that will be different will be the take off and landing. the take off will especially be hard to get right because he will be litterally yanked off the floor by the hammer, not a graceful take off at all. the landing will be a lot easier to achieve

Only if you apply normal physics to it. Mjolnir's magic, ergo Thor doesn't necessarily have to look like he's getting yanked off the ground by the hammer if that looks too goofy.

It's all magic based, so they definitely have a lot of wiggle room. But I still don't want the momentum of the throw to be what carries him through the air. Again, it's a magical hammer, the thing can levitate on it's own. I don't mind him getting pulled by it, but he should be able to increase/decrease the speed at will, same with directions. I don't see why he couldn't have a good amount of mobility.

I don't want him to be like the Hulk that jumps around and pretty much can't do anything until he lands.

i think i've figured out an alternative that everyone will be pleased with...

pa-wtreq6.jpg

YA BOI!

Yeah but then how do you explain him having Caps trike?

duh, the same reason Stark has his shield...because he got super drunk and all his friends jacked his stuff.

also, take notice of the spider-web rims... theres gonna be character nods ALL OVER this movie!

Last edited:
from the official marvel handbook

Thor can summon the elements of the storm (lightning; rain; wind), and uses Mjolnir as a tool to focus this ability.

well, I did not know that. therefore he could throw the hammer and use wind currents to stay airbound (like storm from the xmen) until the hammer returned.

I think Thor, like anyone is limited in the number of powers he can use at once, since each depends on concentration. So, if he makes a plan on using the wind currents to keep him aloft, then he will. But if suddenly in mid-flight he has to hurl Mjolnir and hadn't set the wind currents in motion, he'd fall.

Last edited:
He could summon wind currents pretty quickly, though. He makes giant storms spring up from out of nowhere all the time. It's just that no writer has ever decided to have Thor think that way. His flight tends to be Mjolnir-based or nonexistent.

He could summon wind currents pretty quickly, though. He makes giant storms spring up from out of nowhere all the time. It's just that no writer has ever decided to have Thor think that way. His flight tends to be Mjolnir-based or nonexistent.

did you ever read marvel team up #70 where thor and spidey is fighting the living monolith and creates a hurrican that was less than half a mile wide? awesome display of power.

also in the fantastic four (byrne run) were the avengers and the ff are fighting galactus and thor drops to the bottom of the river and creates a hurrican UNDER the water pushing back the waves so iron man can rescue the submurged cars.

I always thought this came from the hammer.

No, but I will have to check those out. I'm working on reading the actual Thor series right now. I want to ultimately read every Thor appearance ever, though. :up:

did you ever read marvel team up #70 where thor and spidey is fighting the living monolith and creates a hurrican that was less than half a mile wide? awesome display of power.

also in the fantastic four (byrne run) were the avengers and the ff are fighting galactus and thor drops to the bottom of the river and creates a hurrican UNDER the water pushing back the waves so iron man can rescue the submurged cars.

I always thought this came from the hammer.
Again SN, Mjolnir AMPLIFIES Thor's own powers, it doesn't power Thor at all.
Thor can use Mjolnir in many different ways when it comes to his own Godforce and weather control.

Again SN, Mjolnir AMPLIFIES Thor's own powers, it doesn't power Thor at all.
Thor can use Mjolnir in many different ways when it comes to his own Godforce and weather control.

I know that know after reading the marvel handbook

...we've said that oodles of times tho SN I could swear you saw that.

being 48 isn't what it's cracked up to be...sure you're more talented as you age, but, your memory begins to cheat you.

I'd give him two methods of flight. Riding the wind currents without the air of Mjolnir, come on, he's freaking Thor. If Storm can do it, so can he. And the second one is of course with Mjolnir, allowing him high speed flight.

What about the wings on his helm? Could they be used for flight? Like if they flap really, really fast?

:awesome: C'mon, you know it'd be awesome and visually stunning. No one would dare laugh at a man who flies via little wings attached to his head!

I'd give him two methods of flight. Riding the wind currents without the air of Mjolnir, come on, he's freaking Thor. If Storm can do it, so can he. And the second one is of course with Mjolnir, allowing him high speed flight.
Not a bad idea. Wind currents for hovering, Mjolnir for movement. I like it. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"