Shouldnt Thor's Hammer be Able To Do more??

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Shazam, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

2. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

Not trying to nit pick...........but has anyone else noticed this lack of diversity?

3. Savage

Savage Earth Rocker

I have but I figured that's their way of making Heimdall actually serve a purpose. Simplifying things since Thor is already ridiculously powerful.

4. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

But I listed the other things beside transport to Asgard.......I mean, they don't short cut Superman's powers.....or even spiderman.....

I want them to explore all the hammer's power......

5. Savage

Savage Earth Rocker

Odin seems to be the only one able to expel mystic force energy and Thor used the hammer to shield himself from Chitauri blasts in Avengers (and fired rocks at Frost Giants by spinning it in his first movie). Superman and Spider-man don't have to share the screen with other super beings aside from their villains. Thor is part of an entire race of super beings who would not seem particularly special if Thor could do what they do. Odin fires energy from his staff, Heimdall is in charge of travel/teleportation through the realms, Thor gets weather control, flight, and not to mention a massive strength boost even by Asgardian standards from Mjolnir (and I guess I can count firing lightning FROM his hammer as a separate ability).

6. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

I'm sure there's got to be an age level you reach to learn certain things too.
    I was certain Thor would gain more powers when becoming king but that never happens.

7. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

I don't think sharing the screen with others should cause them to take Thor down a peg......I guarantee that we would still see Superman's full array of powers used in the right context.

That hammer can do more than shoot lightning and fly......Also Heimdall doesnt even have this much of a role in Thor comics.

Anyway.......how about that Stan Lee cameo?? He gets better and better doesn't he?? LOL

8. TheHeatKitchen

TheHeatKitchen Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's an experience thing. Odin can do almost anything without even thinking about it. Towards the end of Thor 3, when Odin dies and Thor is named King of Asgard, you'll see him learn more.

And didn't he learn those abilities over years in the comics? This is only his third film, of 6. Patience my friend. He'll probably need them when he fights Thanos, right?

9. horacethegrey

horacethegrey Well-Known Member

I'm kind of glad they limited Mjolnir''s abilities in the movies. The only things the hammer needs to do (aside from smacking things) is to come back to Thor's hand after being thrown, command the weather, and enable Thor to fly. Having him travel between worlds using Mjolnir is a mite too powerful, and disregards the necessity of the Bifrost. Travel between the Nine Realms should not be an easy thing for Thor.

10. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Honestly, the movies don't need Mjolnir to be the full swiss army plot device it is in the comics.

I do admit, I'd like to see Odin show a little more power, though.

11. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I'd like to see some energy manipulation like the God Blast and possibly a force field of some sort but that's about it.

I hope he brings out atleast one new ability in A:OU and another in Thor 3, I'm dying to see Warrior's madness as well.

12. Savage

Savage Earth Rocker

Yeah, this Stan Lee cameo might be my favorite one. I love that guy.

As for Heindall, you're right. He does not have much of a role in the comics. It's why I'm happy about his beefed up one here. If Thor could travel between realms on his own destroying the bifrost would have meant squat and Heimdall's importance would have been lessened. He probably wouldn't even have had lines and that would just be a shame since Idris Elba and Heimdall are both awesome.

I'm pretty glad Thor isn't overpowered. That is in fact one of the problems people have with guys like Superman. I like seeing even someone like Thor be vulnerable from time to time (losing his hammer and requiring use of the train for instance).

13. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

Yep...it doesn't tap dance or paint pictures either....Hammer I am disappoint!!!!!:cmad:

14. Senator Pleasury

Senator Pleasury Well-Known Member

Hammer dances!!!!

[​IMG]

15. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

oooooh that would be asking for too much!! He'd be waaaaay too powerful!

:doh:

16. Savage

Savage Earth Rocker

I think you've misconstrued the arguments being made here. It's not about being too powerful. It's about redundancy. Thor's powerset in the comics tends to make other characters redundant.

That doesn't make those powers any less awesome. It's just about making other characters pointless.

17. Warhammer

Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

The real question isn't shouldn't Mjolnir be able to do more. The real question is, shouldn't Thor be able to do more without Mjolnir?

18. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Not really, they could just be something he does once or twice.

19. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

I think that's a matter of opinion or preference....

I Guess the comics always found a way for the other Avengers to not be "redundant" for over 50 years.....and they never diminished Thor along the way.
    I guess I just don't get the new "comics" vs "movie" rules.....He's opened portals for he and his fellow Avengers to travel through before and none worse for the wear. Ironman has his techno niche, Cap kept his strategy niche, etc.....

I don't see redundancy....I see variety. The whole point of the Avengers is facing threats too big for one hero to handle.....even Thor needs a hand sometimes.

http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/b/c0/4db1b489cab03/detail.jpg
    Read this issue sometime....it makes my point....even Thor couldn't take out Count Nefaria. It was the Vision who figured it out.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  20. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic.......joking.....

I would love to see a force field or god force blast.......that's what I've talking about.:woot:

21. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

What?? Besides be super strong and durable...it's really all in the hammer. Would have been nice to see Thor rip off a chuck of boulder like Kurse did and throw it!

22. ares834

ares834 Vader's Fist

While he can do these things in the comic, he hardly ever uses them. In truth, in the comics he generally uses it mainly for smashing, throwing, conjuring lightning/storms, and for absorbing energy. The only one of those he doesn't do in the movies is using Mjolnir to absorb an enemy's energy blast although he has used it to deflect such attacks.

I'm fine with the limiting his powers. Otherwise, to often, it becomes why doesn't he use such and such power at such and such time.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  23. Warhammer

Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

I wish we could see a few feats of strength. He's strength is comparable to the Hulk.

24. Savage

Savage Earth Rocker

While I agree from an Avengers standpoint, that does not really work in a solo Thor movie. Not if you want to make a character like Heimdall important, anyway. I like that in the movie universe everybody has their purpose and things like traveling realms is difficult and a big deal. It creates more drama and is better than "Mjolnir can do that too".

As cool as Thor spinning his hammer and teleporting is, I find it cooler that he calls on the all seeing Heimdall to move him around. I think we're just going to always differ on this one so I'll just agree to disagree. I like the relatively balanced Asgardians of the movies.

25. Shazam

Shazam Well-Known Member

Agreed