Shouldnt Thor's Hammer be Able To Do more??

While he can do these things in the comic, he hardly ever uses them. In truth, in the comics he generally uses it mainly for smashing, throwing, conjuring lightning/storms, and for absorbing energy. The only one of those he doesn't do in the movies is using Mjolnir to absorb an enemy's energy blast although he has used it to deflect such attacks.

I'm fine with the limiting his powers. Otherwise, to often, it becomes why doesn't he use such and such power at such and such time.

If I could see one of them just "once", I'd be fine.

While I agree from an Avengers standpoint, that does not really work in a solo Thor movie. Not if you want to make a character like Heimdall important, anyway. I like that in the movie universe everybody has their purpose and things like traveling realms is difficult and a big deal. It creates more drama and is better than "Mjolnir can do that too".

As cool as Thor spinning his hammer and teleporting is, I find it cooler that he calls on the all seeing Heimdall to move him around. I think we're just going to always differ on this one so I'll just agree to disagree. I like the relatively balanced Asgardians of the movies.

Oh its cool bro...its always about preference with fans. To me, Thor calling on Heimdall is like Kirk calling on Scotty to beam him up. Taking away Thor's ability to transport himself,Just to give Heimdall something to do, just makes no sense to me. But to you its balance.

Its kool.

Last edited:
I'm fine with what he's got. he has all his core defining powers. I also wish to see some more strength feats. I'm also fine to be honest if MOS Superman never shows super breath or any of his odder periphery powers..

I'm fine with what he's got. he has all his core defining powers. I also wish to see some more strength feats. I'm also fine to be honest if MOS Superman never shows super breath or any of his odder periphery powers..

I guess I just want it all.........or at least most of what I've read over the years. Took this long to bring him to the big screen......why short change him?

They do tend to dumb-dowm the hammers powers to just lighting for some odd reason. I believe it is to keep thors power on a somewhat even level with a iron-man hulk ete. If you look at the hammers powers from a comic book pov and all it can do (teleportation, energy blasts, god blasts some time travel earth base and cosmic stroms) that hammer is boss and can do a whole lot, so much so that it would greatly OP thors abilties

Last edited:
I think they're trying to keep his powers weather based. Anything else probably feels like it's encroaching on other characters' abilities.

I think they're trying to keep his powers weather based. Anything else probably feels like it's encroaching on other characters' abilities.

How so??

Ironman still has his techno thing......Hulk gets stronger when he gets more angry......Cap never stops being Cap, a skilled fighter...........

Basically they've made Thor into Storm from Xmen.....lightning, wind and weather.....

They do tend to dumb-dowm the hammers powers to just lighting for some odd reason. I believe it is to keep thors power on a somewhat even level with a iron-man hulk ete. If you look at the hammers powers from a comic book pov and all it can do (teleportation, energy blasts, god blasts some time travel earth base and cosmic stroms) that hammer is boss and can do a whole lot, so much so that it would greatly OP thors abilties

Yes...it is odd. 50 years to get him to the big screen and they dumb him down??? I don't get it.

Thor should have caught that boulder that Kurse threw at him and tossed it back or at the least shattered it with a punch! I even get the feeling that Thor is strong but not that strong....

Yes...it is odd. 50 years to get him to the big screen and they dumb him down??? I don't get it.

Thor should have caught that boulder that Kurse threw at him and tossed it back or at the least shattered it with a punch! I even get the feeling that Thor is strong but not that strong....

Not only that but Mjolnir doesn't even feel like it as the mass of the core of a dieing star in the movieverse. When Thor hits normal enemies he should be sending them flying.

How so??

Ironman still has his techno thing......Hulk gets stronger when he gets more angry......Cap never stops being Cap, a skilled fighter...........

Basically they've made Thor into Storm from Xmen.....lightning, wind and weather.....

I'm still only talking about the Thor movies and not The Avengers. lol What's the point of having the "teleportation guy" when Thor can do it? How unique and special is it when Odin goes out and blasts people with his staff if Thor can do the same thing with Mjolnir? I think you keep imagining him doing all of these awesome feats in an Avengers movie.

They have boiled Thor down to his bare essentials and I'm okay with that. Maybe once he gets the Odinforce he can start doing all of this other stuff; but for now they're having him just be "Thor: Thunder God" and all that comes with that without throwing in seemingly random powers that were just added for plot convenience in the comics at the time.

I'm still only talking about the Thor movies and not The Avengers. lol What's the point of having the "teleportation guy" when Thor can do it? How unique and special is it when Odin goes out and blasts people with his staff if Thor can do the same thing with Mjolnir? I think you keep imagining him doing all of these awesome feats in an Avengers movie.

They have boiled Thor down to his bare essentials and I'm okay with that. Maybe once he gets the Odinforce he can start doing all of this other stuff; but for now they're having him just be "Thor: Thunder God" and all that comes with that without throwing in seemingly random powers that were just added for plot convenience in the comics at the time.

You mean like this? When he's around just his own people?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...kWWqJIg4ertJ3p_UrkfPeZFCGbDT-mOPgobXsMEajqcGr

Last edited:
So wind powers. That is a pretty cool feat. No-one else in Asgard can do that so I don't see why not. That is an ability totally unique to a thunder/weather god.

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered he did exactly that to the Destroyer in the first movie. So as long as it's weather related then the thunder god can do it.

Last edited:
My biggest problem in the TDW is even after limiting what Thor and the hammer can do they hardly had him use those abilities. He uses his weather powers once... FOR A COMEDIC BEAT when he comes to see Portman and they do that rain bit. He throws lightning around... That's it. And as others have stated, Mjolnir cannot harm Kurse... but far weaker than Thor LOKI can impale him with a regular Asgardian sword? Thor has been nerfed a lot in his film outings and TDW made it even worse.

Yeah, I always found it strange that one of Thor's powers was to fire lasers. I've always preferred the blasts of electricity even in the comics. But that's just me.

No denying that Thor has been nerfed in the movies. Everyone has (except when it comes to physical characters). It just doesn't bug me as much as I expected it to. Especially since they're so superfluous compared to his other abilities.

...Blasts of electricity can be as hot as the sun. Why wouldn't Thor be able to fire a concentrated/focused bean of light?

Heat aside I consider them two different things. Lightning can barely be controlled and it looks like he's just pointing it in the direction he wants. It's like a wild beast that he tames. Focusing it into a laser just makes me ponder "Mjolnir is a gun now?" I wouldn't be against seeing it in films (Odin's looks badass already). It just always came off as "We'll give it lasers. Kids like lasers." to me.

My biggest problem in the TDW is even after limiting what Thor and the hammer can do they hardly had him use those abilities. He uses his weather powers once... FOR A COMEDIC BEAT when he comes to see Portman and they do that rain bit. He throws lightning around... That's it. And as others have stated, Mjolnir cannot harm Kurse... but far weaker than Thor LOKI can impale him with a regular Asgardian sword? Thor has been nerfed a lot in his film outings and TDW made it even worse.

He never got a chance to use Mjonir on Kurse really.... and he did knock Kurse off of a balcony with it in Asgard...

Also...the sprear did nothing to Kurse. He turned around and stabbed loki and was about to finish him off then the blackhole went off

Heat aside I consider them two different things. Lightning can barely be controlled and it looks like he's just pointing it in the direction he wants. It's like a wild beast that he tames. Focusing it into a laser just makes me ponder "Mjolnir is a gun now?" I wouldn't be against seeing it in films (Odin's looks badass already). It just always came off as "We'll give it lasers. Kids like lasers." to me.

I view Mjolnir as a mystical god item that can conjure the will of the being that comands it. It's primary and most prominent abilities are Weather and electricity manipulation. I'd like to think of Mjolnir like an extreme version of the wands in Harry Potter only on a Godly level.

Harry Potter wand description.
A wand is a quasi-sentient magical instrument through which a witch or wizard channels her or his magical powers to centralise the effects for more complex results. Most spells are done with the aid of wands, but spells can be cast without the use of wands. Wandless magic is, however, very difficult and requires much concentration and incredible skill; only truly advanced wizards are known to perform such magic.

I'm happy with what he's got; maybe a few more feats of strenght and weather manipulation, but other than that, it's pretty clear that he's the most powerful avenger and asgardian second only to Odin; that said, I really wish he could fly without Mjolnir, but if I'm not mistaken, that's not the case in the movies, is it...??

Polux

As far as I know in both the movies and comics he can only fly with Mjolnir. Also since he can't turn back into Donald Blake (or Jake Olsen) in the movies there's no time limit on how long he can go without Mjolnir before transforming back. I appreciate this touch. The secret identity thing was always one of the drawbacks of the character for me. I much prefer his supporting cast in the movies and his relationship with them as is.

Yeah, I'm happy they didn't go with the Don Blake thing, I like it better as it is; and I was convinced he was able to fly without Mjolnir in the comics/cartoons, but I guess I was wrong...

BTW, is that Boots Electric in your avvy??

Polux

Why yes. Yes it is. :D

And as much as I've read of Thor he's always done the spin and throw with the hammer to fly. Otherwise he drops.

In the comics, he *technically* can fly, and control the weather, without it. . . but this is a fairly marginal ability that only very rarely shows up.

As for me, the only thing I would like is more strength feats, honestly. Come on, guys, let Hemsworth pick up, throw, and/or break something benchmarkable *once* without Mjolnir, please?

In the comics, he *technically* can fly, and control the weather, without it. . . but this is a fairly marginal ability that only very rarely shows up.

As for me, the only thing I would like is more strength feats, honestly. Come on, guys, let Hemsworth pick up, throw, and/or break something benchmarkable *once* without Mjolnir, please?

Agreed...would love to have seen him do what Kurse did with that boulder....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"