Greg Nicotero's Creepshow on Shudder

Man in the Suit

We're the Ones Who Live
Reaction score
Creepshow anthology series coming from Shudder, Walking Dead EP Greg Nicotero
The streaming service Shudder has given the green light to a Creepshow TV series inspired by the classic 1982 horror anthology film of the same name, EW can exclusively reveal. Greg Nicotero, the Walking Dead executive producer and makeup effects wizard, is attached to direct, executive-produce, and supervise the show’s creative elements.

A homage to the horror comics of the 1950s, the original Creepshow featured segments written by Stephen King and was directed by a fellow horror legend, Night of the Living Dead filmmaker George A. Romero. The movie starred Hal Holbrook, Adrienne Barbeau, Leslie Nielsen, Ed Harris, and King himself, and it spawned two sequels and a spin-off comic. Shudder is owned by AMC Networks (home of The Walking Dead) and specializes in thriller, suspense, and horror fare.

“Creepshow is one of the most beloved and iconic horror anthologies from two masters of the genre, George A. Romero and Stephen King,” Shudder general manager Craig Engler said in a statement. “We’re thrilled to continue their legacy with another master of horror, Greg Nicotero, as we bring a new Creepshow TV series exclusively to Shudder members.”

“Creepshow is a project very close to my heart!” said Nicotero, who met his makeup effects mentor Tom Savini while visiting the set of the film and later collaborated with Romero on the zombie movies Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead, among other projects. “It is one of those titles that embraces the true spirit of horror… thrills and chills celebrated in one of its truest art forms, the comic book come to life! I’m honored to continue the tradition in the ‘spirit’ which it was created.”

The new Creepshow series is scheduled to debut on Shudder in 2019. Each episode will tell original stories and be helmed by a different filmmaker, with Nicotero directing the first episode. His company KNB EFX Group will also handle the creature and makeup effects.

The show will be produced by The Cartel with Monster Agency Productions, Taurus Entertainment, and Striker Entertainment.

“The Cartel is excited to bring the iconic Creepshow brand to Shudder as a series,” said Cartel CEO Stan Spry. “There is no better person to be the creative force behind this new production than Greg Nicotero. His experience and leadership will ensure that the series is of the highest quality and will help to excite horror fans around the world.”

King & Hill Stories In Creepshow TV Series
Posted: October 8, 2018, 11:28:51
Looks like the Creepshow TV series will have stories by King and Joe Hill. Here is what show runner Greg Nicotero said.

Nicotero participated in the the Shudder Panel at the annual New York Comic Con on Thursday, revealing further details about the series, including many of the writers whose stories will be adapted for the six part anthology series including Stephen King, Joe Hill, and Joe Lansdale among others.

Source: Horror News Network

Survivor Type Filmed For Creepshow
Posted: January 17, 2019, 00:15:52
Section: TV » Creepshow
Bloody Disgusting reports that one of the stories included in the upcoming Creepshow TV serie will be King's Survivor Type.

Production is getting underway in Atlanta, Georgia on Shudder’s Creepshow revival, which will see effects master Greg Nicotero directing a handful of episodes. The first we have information on is titled “Survivor Type”.

Production Begins on Shudder's CREEPSHOW Series - Daily Dead
Press Release: Shudder, AMC Networks’ premium streaming service for thriller, suspense and horror, announced today that production has begun on its first long-form original TV series, Creepshow, in Atlanta, GA. Executive produced by The Walking Dead’s Greg Nicotero, the horror series is based on the iconic 1982 anthology film written by Stephen King and directed by George A. Romero.

The six-episode season will feature an adaptation of an as-yet unannounced Stephen King story, as well as segments based on stories by other award-winning and acclaimed horror writers, including:

● “By the Silvery Waters of Lake Champlain” by Joe Hill (NOS4A2)
● “House of the Head” by Josh Malerman (Bird Box)
● “The Companion” by Joe Lansdale (The Bottoms)
● “The Man in the Suitcase” by Christopher Buehlman (The Lesser Dead)
● “All Hallows Eve” by Bruce Jones (The Hitchhiker)
● “Night of the Paw” by John Esposito (The Walking Dead: Webisodes)
● “Bad Wolf Down” by Rob Schrab (Monster House)

“Having the opportunity to embrace the spirit of Creepshow and expand on what George and Steve created is, without a doubt, a lifelong dream come true,” said executive producer Greg Nicotero. “Having grown up in Pittsburgh, Creepshow lives in a special place for me. I had the good fortune to visit the set as a teenager. I was able to look behind the curtain of filmmaking, and it changed me forever. I’m honored to continue telling the stories in the ‘comic book come to life’ world that fans fell in love with. This fall we will be ‘opening the coffin’ and unleashing upon the world our demented and ghastly stories, crafted by the best in business.”

In addition to his EP duties, Nicotero will direct some of the series. Other installments will be helmed by David Bruckner, director of the acclaimed horror film The Ritual; Roxanne Benjamin, director of segments of Southbound and XX; and Rob Schrab, whose numerous TV directing credits include Ghosted and Community. John Harrison, who was the first assistant director for George Romero on the original Creepshow movie (and who also composed the film’s theme), will be directing a story he co-wrote with Nicotero.

Nicotero’s Oscar® and multiple Emmy® award-winning company, KNB EFX GROUP Inc., will be handling Creepshow’s Creature and Make-Up Effects.

“We’re thrilled to have Greg Nicotero on board to transform Creepshow into a series, featuring stories by giants in the horror field like Stephen King and Joe Hill, as well as a fantastic lineup of writers, directors and special effects wizards,” said Shudder GM Craig Engler. “This a dream series for fans of the original movies and for anyone who wants to experience ‘the most fun you can have being scared.’”

The DNA of the original movie is firmly embedded in the new series: in addition to King and Harrison’s return to the franchise, fans will recall that Joe Hill, King’s son, played comic-book-loving “Billy” in the 1982 film’s wrap-around segments. Nicotero also provided make-up effects on the 1987 follow-up, Creepshow 2, among his earliest screen credits.

Additional stories and directors, as well as key casting, will be announced later this year.

Shudder’s Creepshow will be produced by the Cartel with Monster Agency Productions, Taurus Entertainment, and Striker Entertainment: Stan Spry, Jeff Holland, and Eric Woods are executive producers for the Cartel; Greg Nicotero and Brian Witten are executive producers for Monster Agency Productions; Robert Dudelson, James Dudelson and Jordan Kizwani are executive producers for Taurus Entertainment; Russell Binder is executive producer and Marc Mostman co-executive producer for Striker Entertainment. Creepshow will premiere on Shudder later this year.

ABOUT SHUDDER
AMC Networks’ SHUDDER is a premium streaming video service, super-serving fans of all degrees with the best selection in genre entertainment, covering thrillers, suspense, and horror. SHUDDER’s expanding library of film, TV series, and originals is available in the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, and Germany on most streaming devices for 4.99/month or 49.99/year. To experience SHUDDER commitment-free for 7 days, visit www.shudder.com.

Can't wait for this! I love the original, it's a horror classic.

1ZvMqba.jpg

'Creepshow' Series Adds Horror Legend Tom Savini as Director of a Joe Hill Adaptation
While attending this past weekend’s Monsterpalooza, Savini revealed that he is indeed directing a segment in Creepshow. That story in question is the previously announced short story “By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain” by Joe Hill.

“I just directed an episode of the Creepshow television series. There’s 12 [stories] altogether – each show will have two episodes in it. Mine’s a combination of Stand By Me, The Fog, and Jurassic Park. It’s really something.”

KID CUDI, JEFFREY COMBS, BRUCE DAVISON, DJ QUALLS & BIG BOI JOIN SHUDDER’S CREEPSHOW

“All Hallows Eve”

Written by: Bruce Jones
Directed by: John Harrison
Even then they’re a little too old, this group of friends still want to trick-or-treat but getting candy isn’t all they are looking for.

“Bad Wolf Down”
Written by: Rob Schrab
Directed by: Rob Schrab
A group of American soldiers, trapped behind enemy lines during World War II, finds an unconventional way to even the odds.

“By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain”
Story by: Joe Hill, adapted by Jason Ciaramella
Directed by: Tom Savini
Her dad died looking for the monster living at the bottom of Lake Champlain, and now, will she?

“The Companion”
Story by: Joe R. Lansdale, Kasey Lansdale & Keith Lansdale, adapted by Matt Venne
Directed by: Dave Bruckner ( The Ritual )
A young boy, bullied by his older brother, sneaks into an abandoned farm that is protected by a supernatural force.

“The Finger”
Written by: David J. Schow (The Crow)
Directed by: Greg Nicotero
An unhappy man discovers a severed, inhuman appendage on the street and brings it home, where it grows into a loyal companion with some deadly quirks.

“Gray Matter”
Story by: Stephen King, adapted by Byron Willinger and Philip de Blasi
Directed by: Greg Nicotero
Doc and Chief, two old-timers in a small, dying town, brave a storm to check on Richie, an alcoholic single father, after encountering his terrified son at the local convenience store. The story, first published in 1973, is part of King’s best-selling 1978 collection, Night Shift.

“The House of the Head”
Written by: Josh Malerman (Bird Box)
Evie’s discovers her new dollhouse might be haunted.

“Lydia Layne’s Better Half”
Story by: John Harrison & Greg Nicotero, adapted by John Harrison
Directed by: Roxanne Benjamin (Body at Brighton Rock)
A powerful woman denies a promotion to her protégée and lover but fails to anticipate the fallout.

“The Man in the Suitcase”
Written by: Christopher Buehlman
Directed by: Dave Bruckner (The Ritual)
A college student brings the wrong bag home from the airport only to find a pretzeled man trapped inside, afflicted by a strange condition that turns his pain into gold.

“Night of the Paw”
Written by: John Esposito
A lonely mortician finds company in the ultimate ‘be careful what you wish for’ story.

“Skincrawlers”
Written by: Paul Dini & Stephen Langford
Directed by: Roxanne Benjamin (Body at Brighton Rock)
A man considers a miraculous new treatment for weight loss that turns out to have unexpected complications.

“Times is Tough in Musky Holler”
Written by: John Skipp and Dori Miller, based on their short story
Leaders who once controlled a town through fear and intimidation get a taste of their own medicine.

Looks good. Finally have a reason to check out Shudder.

Pretty cool start. I enjoyed Gray Matter, but The House of the Head intrigued me more.

I'm a sucker for some good old body horror, so obviously Gray Matter was my favorite story from the first episode, but man I had to no idea where The House of the Head was going and I honestly loved every minute of it. I just wish there was a better payoff, but it ended up being pretty damn creepy and I got to give them credit for doing something creative and original with a haunted doll house.

Here’s the full schedule for the remainder of Season One:
  • Oct. 3 – Ep. 2: “Bad Wolf Down” / “The Finger”
  • Oct. 10 – Ep. 3: “All Hallows’ Eve” / “The Man in the Suitcase”
  • Oct. 17 – Ep. 4: “The Companion” / “Lydia Layne’s Better Half”
  • Oct. 24 – Ep. 5: “Night of the Paw” / “Times is Tough in Musky Holler”
  • Oct. 31 – Ep. 6: “Skincrawlers” / “By the Silver Waters of Lake Champlain”

So Episode 2 is up today.

Bad Wolf Down - It was okay. Kind of a weak payoff with that build up. Good to see Jeffrey Combs though!

The Finger - Strong OG Creepshow vibes with this one, which makes sense as Nicotero directed. Lots of fun.

The Finger was a lot of fun. It definitely felt like something from the OG Creepshow and I love it when they are able to incorporate stop motion effects. Bad Wolf Down was pretty fun too, especially seeing Jeffrey Combs chew it up as a Nazi, but once again the payoff was kind of weak. Loved the gore and werewolf effects though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"