Silent Hill: Director's Cut, anyone?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Ultimate Movie-Man, May 20, 2006.

?

Silent Hill: Director's Cut

1. I'd love a Director's Cut!

2. Nah, I'm happy with the theatrical edition.

3. I didn't like the theatrical cut so there's a good chance I won't like the Director's Cut.

4. Haven't seen the film.

5. Maybe. Depends on varied things (such as special edition DVD, etc.)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Dark Defender Unite and Fight

It's supposed to have grotesque visuals(which weren't pointless), as its source material did. Horror movies are supposed to be grotesque. It wasn't meant for suspense, nor should it have been; and they were scary and unnerving(which was their point), and it did unravel throughout the film, the monologue at the end simply made the way it was unraveling clearer.

They're not going to completely alter the source material to cater to people that want to see an entirely different movie, nor should they.

2. Not at all. I'm just saying that people who complain about certain movies being "too long" have short attention spans.

King Kong, Aliens, Terminator 2, and so forth are all great movies. And I do agree that they're better movies than SH, but comparing those movies to SH is apples and oranges.

3. Horrorfan Registered

Actually you missed my point. You said people who complain about movies being too long have short attention spans. I said that I thought SH was too long (among many other problems, it just wasn't good or interesting enough to justify that time). Basically, it wasn't a good movie anyway, but dragged out to an unatural time (I don't think you will find anyone who will really say that it couldn't have cut out a lot of pointless scenes of running around and screaming) it was even worse. Some movies just don't justify a longer running time.

Same as some films should have been even longer, such as the first X Men for example.

Aliens, King Kong, T2 etc are all much longer movies than SH. The difference? Those movies were of such a good quality and story that it could JUSTIFY being that long, and still left you wanting more. Silent Hill's story was much more basic, with less characters (and who weren't interesting anyway) and less plot, so what you have is a bloated movie that was stretched out needlessly. So my point wasn't that they were better movies (which is true), but that you're wrong about people having short attention spans just because they think a film had WAY too many pointless scenes and went on longer than it should have.

I liked Van Helsing a lot, but even that went 20 minutes. There's a fine line between a long, epic movie, and a bloated, stretched out mess.

4. Addendum Registered

When I beat the first Silent Hill game, I said "Damn, that was ****ed up"

When I walked out of the Silent Hill movie, I said "Damn, that was ****ed up"

I have no complaints about the movie, because I only sat through the last 20 seconds of previews. :D

I guess I'm one of the few people who don't give a damn about long movies, since I strive for a little thing called "patience".

And if anyone calls a 2 hour movie "long", you're nuts

5. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

My point is not that grotesque visuals are all pointless; but that some of them in Silent Hill are pointless. And no, horror movies are not all supposed to be grotesque.

Wasn't meant for suspense? Explain all the wondering around deserted streets and chasing figures in the darkness. The scene of Rada Mitchell negotiating thru a gang of freak women at the climax was not about suspense?

But I'm glad you liked the movie buddy, I have a feeling I'll like it more the more I see it and understand the thinking behind it. :up:

6. ToddIsDead Registered

I like the movie as is. I'd give an extended cut a shot though.

7. Horrorfan Registered

Wow, my post went over A LOT of heads.

It was too long because it wasn't NATURALLY a 2 hour movie. It's a story that could have and should have been told in a more condensed form. Look through it and see how many pointless scenes there are that don't progress the story.

And I like Aliens and King Kong, both close to three hours so again, you failed to comprehend my point.

I can't put it any clearly than this: THIS MOVIE HAD A LOT OF POINTLESS SCENES THAT DIDN'T PROGRESS THE STORY AND MADE IT DRAG. IT WASN'T SUITED TO THAT RUNNING TIME (and that's even assuming if it didn't suck).

SOME MOVIES ARE BETTER SUITED TO LONGER RUNNING TIMES; THIS WAS DEFINITLY NOT ONE OF THEM.

And if you still don't get it, I don't know how else to put it.

8. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Such as?

9. Horrorfan Registered

Practically every scene with Sean Bean (most pointless character ever)
    55% of her wondering around Silent Hill doing not a lot in general.

That's a good 20 minutes right there, and I can't remember much else of the movie (because it was totally unmemorable).

10. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

As opposed to her staying in the same building for two hours?:confused: The point was to show how barren and unpopulated Silent Hill was, that is until you see everyone running towards the church.

11. Horrorfan Registered

Could have done it with a huge reveal of the town, no movement, no life anywhere. The games make it clear immediately that it was unpopulated, in the first scene, just because the streets are so empty. It does it in one or two well framed shots. You don't need to show it by wondering around. It's pretty clear from looking at a desolate town that it's desolate, usually, from the disused apperances of the buildings and general barren streets.

A massive wide shot from behind her back would have done the trick.

It was just a really boring film in general, but stretching it exposed it even more.

12. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

You act like she was wandering the streets for 20 minutes straight. I remember her running away from things, trying to get to places. Maybe you have some sort of attention defecit disorder. I thought the movie was great and was glad to get a full fleshed out movie instead of the genric hour and half horror movies you seem used to.

13. Horrorfan Registered

You enjoy badly plotted movies with half baked acting, scripts that jump all over the place, characters crow barred into the movie by studio suits and scene after scene of boring pointlessness...no need to take it personally, not your fault :)

14. ToddIsDead Registered

:up: :up:

15. Horrorfan Registered

You know a movie is poor when the entire plot of the movie is condensed into a five minute speech at the end of the movie.

16. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Badly plotted? No. Half baked acting? yes. i didnt know we were judging horror movies by their acting now, which has always been its weakest element. Charaters crow barred into the movie by suits? What does have to do with anything? Sean beans character is there just to draw parallels. Scene after scene of boring pointlessness? No, everything had a point, when I asked you to name scenes all you could say was she ran around a lot. Which last time i checked, she really didnt.

17. ToddIsDead Registered

I could condense the plot of any movie into a five minute speech. Behind every movie is a very simple plot theme.

18. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Yes, because movies have never recapped or ended with a speech. What a horrible movie Schindler's List is.:confused: Youre reaching.

19. Horrorfan Registered

This movie was about 1hr 50 minutes of running and 10 minutes of dialogue explaining the plot. That's all there was too it. Nothing memorable, nothing special, nothing remotely entertaining or scary. I'm sorry if you disagree with it, but that's how I saw it.

And if my only option is generic hour and a half movies, compared to this tripe, I would gladly take it. One of my most regrettable cinema experiences EVER. Worse than even Tomb Raider.

20. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

LOL! I think you went to the wrong movie. Every scene with Pyramid Head was great. The ending scene with the barbed wire was great. I really dont know what you were expecting but its exactly like the video game and thats all i could really ask for.

21. Horrorfan Registered

I was expecting a good movie. I wasn't expecting to be slapped with such a dull, life sapping experience.

22. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Tsk. Tsk. Im suspecting a case where you feel the ned to bash something popular just so you look cool or edgy. Either way, youve yet to provide anything to say why it was so boring, what scenes exactly were pointless. So yeah im done.

23. The Dark Defender Unite and Fight

Yes, it was a very puzzling, awkward movie, I didn't necessarily see that as a bad thing though.

24. Bishop2 Registered

Absolutely not. The movie was perfect in its length, and most director's cuts these days tend to suck. On top of that, Gans has already said that the theatrical cut IS his personal preferred cut.

25. Addendum Registered

I like King Kong as well.

All 104 minutes of the restored 1933 edition.

The Silent Hill movie, while changing a few of the characters from the first game, is the ONLY movie based on a video game that stayed true to the spirit of the game.

That is why I liked it. I also felt the movie was enjoyable.

However, there is something we both share in common...

WE'RE NOT PROFESSIONAL MOVIE CRITICS. We're just people with an internet connection that are members of a superhero board.