Sony Spin-Off Silk: Spider Society

Long live the Sonyverse! :hehe:

But why Silk? Where's my Spider-Gwen film!

Also, Cindy Moon already exists in the MCU...

(Tiffany Aspensen played her in both Homecoming and Infinity War)

Granted they were just cameos. I wonder if they'll bring her back or keep this seperate and cast a bigger name.

:hmm

I mean, why not? May as well build out their universe somehow. But, Hype being Hype, will probably overlook or down upon it because it's MCU or bust.

I mean, I don't want to get too ahead of myself since we still need to see if Silver & Black gets made. But the idea is appealing to me.

O yay another spinoff announced that prematurely. Someone take away Sony’s dart board

Abandon ship?

giphy.gif

Jesus ****, they can't stop themselves can they? Well, if we gotta fancast, I say Arden Cho from Teen Wolf.

But, Hype being Hype, will probably overlook or down upon it because it's MCU or bust.

I don't give a damn about which studio produces the movie. If it's a Marvel or DC movie and has a Fresh/ near-Fresh RT score I'll see it in theaters.

Ugh I have never heard of Silk. Why can't they "Develop" these behind closed doors? It is cute that Sony wants to try but they really should stop and run ideas by MCU. Unless this is like the animated movie they have coming out.

Thought it was an uneventful comic news day and found this!

Anyway, will just re-post the following from other Silk Thread:

Originally Posted by SirStrangefolk
I don't think Spider-Verse is a good storyline to adapt to film. A major part of the appeal of it was all the AU Spider-people in it. Probably none of those will make an appearance before 2026, so they won't be recognized by the GA. Also, I don't think a lot of people would want to sit through a film's length of many Spider-Men (and women) travelling through the multiverse. It would probably just be confusing. (and all the jokes with versions of Spider-Man from cartoons, manga, video games, Japanese live-action shows from 1978, etc. won't work.)
Depending on how things sit mid to late 2020's, I think a live action spider-verse film would be kind of interesting to do starring Andrew Garfield, Toby McGuire, and Tom Holland amongst others. Be kind of cool to learn what happened to these other Spider-men once everything was said and done. In order for it to work can't be a film that takes itself too literally and stands on it's own just sort of doing a crazy character mash. Jokes about laws of physics and logic working different in each universe would make the film pretty engaging (example: All other spider-men staring in horror at Tobey's Spider-Man shooting webbing out of wrists or staring in awe how his costume presumably made at home as an afterthought or telling Garfield's Spider-Man to cool down a bit or Tom's to quit sucking up to Stark and so forth).

Originally Posted by Chance Jackson
Then you give her a new origin. The USM book tweaked Spidey's Origin and so did the 1st movie I don't see why that can't be done with Silk or Spider-Gwen etc
After reading that article someone just posted above, I'm thinking this is a real possibility. I posted an idea about how I think Avengers 4 could play out here: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...=520599&page=3

Extending off of a multiverse concept mentioned in link above, it would be interesting to have the roles reversed where there's a possibility line of Silk existing instead of Spider-Man in 1 pocket of the multiverse. That would be 1 way to adapt around the comic origin.

Long live the Sonyverse! :hehe:

But why Silk? Where's my Spider-Gwen film!

Also, Cindy Moon already exists in the MCU...

(Tiffany Aspensen played her in both Homecoming and Infinity War)

Granted they were just cameos. I wonder if they'll bring her back or keep this seperate and cast a bigger name.

:hmm
You missed the key words in the announcement "Korean American" thus Silk checks the diversity box.

The only non-MCU Spider-Man films that Sony should make are animated. I love the idea behind Into the Spider-Verse and that is a great way to make additional films outside of the MCU.

But these live-action spin-offs... JUST STOP!!!

A parallel Homecoming film would be kind of interesting...

Spider bites another person on school bus due to Dr. Strange's meddling with Time spinning off alternate multiverse possibility...

I think the following could happen either in Avengers 4 or a Dr. Strange sequel just sort of developing notion of a multiverse:

Dr. Strange's Status Post Avengers 4?:
Team Film: Depending on if a time travel notion is introduced in Avengers 4, I was thinking the sequel to Dr. Strange may utilize Strange to assemble a team of some sorts (just numerous peices of news have read lately make me think a direct solo sequel unlikely IF Marvel tries to fast track Fantastic Four and/or X-Men 2024 or earlier but could be wrong).

Introduction of Multiverse: The notion could be, somehow transfer his consciousness transcending time w/help of Time Infinity Stone into himself existing in another dimension. He does this by going into his past self at key moment in time to split off another reality in which he can exist in similar to what Wolverine did in Days of Future Past only on larger scale (larger scale meaning 1 consciousness shifting across multiple realities not just 1 past point picks like Wolverine did but an orchestrated manipulation of sorts skipping across many).

I suppose while in process of doing this, Strange could gather a team through interactions with key players of the Infinity War telling each to do a certain something at a certain moment of time that will result in a shared alternate reality they can experience Post-Avengers 4 (or in other words, an alternate wing of the Multiverse Strange can inhabit). I suppose the purpose of the team could be an Infinity Watch or Illuminati of some sort.

Limitations?: Only thing I don't like about idea above is makes Strange too omnipotent or immortal. Perhaps some sort of limitations such as needing to reacquire the Time Stone each time does this as well as only be able to do this so many times within certain framework so not seem too omnipotent.

Ant-Man's Status Post-Avengers 4?:
Some areas of multiverse a Different Dimension all together?: The microverse introduced in Antman some have compared to the Negative Zone. Perhaps if become lost in here, can come back out into a totally different plane of reality consisting of different world all together?

Taking off of this concept into a further Spider-Man franchise film, I think the Silk movie could be a very direct tie-in to the MCU.

Last edited:
I don't give a damn about which studio produces the movie. If it's a Marvel or DC movie and has a Fresh/ near-Fresh RT score I'll see it in theaters.

So you're only seeing films in theaters on the basis of their RT scores...not just, you know, if you want to see the film yourself?

But hey, I never addressed anyone in the Hype by name, but sounds like I touched a nerve here. I really don't see why with many of you, except for Marvel united, anyway, that a Marvel film needs to have some MCU stamp of approval. If the film turns out to be good, who cares what universe it's in? I mean, running an idea past Marvel Studios when Sony doesn't have to? For real? Or perhaps they should run it past the Hype first.

But hey, I never addressed anyone in the Hype by name, but sounds like I touched a nerve here.

Oh I know that you probably did NOT imply that literally everyone on SHH see movies based on studios, but I wanted to take myself as an example of someone who does NOT see movies based on studios, however rare it is. I said "not give a damn" to emphasis that I couldn't care less which studio produced the movies, not that I was angry with your statement.

So you're only seeing films in theaters on the basis of their RT scores...not just, you know, if you want to see the film yourself?

Yes. For example I really like the book A Wrinkle in Time and was quite excited after seeing the trailer (even though apparently everyone hated it) but if only 40% critics recommend it then there's no way I spend 14 dollars on a 2D matinee showing of it.

I guess when threadstarter begins with *Sigh* should know what to expect.

Seems no one is actually interested in discussing the actual characters, ideas, possibilities, hype, or movie but instead just off the cuff memes or bad attitudes.

Because they seem intent on giving every Spidey character their own film without including Spidey himself, who is basically the catalyst for most of their existences.

I get it. It's been mentioned like every other post over and over again. E-mail sony about it or something. Same thing over and over makes it feel like these forums are some sort of lobbying event as opposed to discussion.

Negative reactions all for hearing but just deflective attitudes that end any sort of discussion on anything gets old.

Because they are milking the franchise? Giving characters spinoffs just to make a quick buck and not put any love into the movie. Because Sony has known to mess up characters and storylines? And they just want to dilute the brand. Not make good movies. It’s simple why people are fed up. Sony isn’t interested in making quality movies they just want to milk the Spider-Man license instead of building a god foundation and letting marvel just do its thing. Why the heck make a silk movie if Spider-Man isn’t likely to show.

Given how Sony treats the franchise of course people are up and arms. Why wouldn’t they be. They have yet to prove they can make a good movie with the property. Raimi was in charge of the first 2 and after that they took over and almost ran the franchise into the ground. So yea

They want to make more movies. Sony is a business like any other.

Reboots, adaptations, franchise movies, and spinoffs takes up a huge chunk of the higher budgeted movies now days overall and yes this whole thing with Marvel Studio's vs. their licensed out properties highlights this as well. An active discussion about this is one thing but repetitively going on with same thing over and over just makes these forums less discussion based and more of a lobby event to the studio's it seems to me. What do we gain from that on these forums besides just venting and creating stale interactions?

Last edited:
Because we want to see these characters be respected and we know they won’t likely be so of course people are mad. Simple. Every Spider-Man fan knows Sony is incompetent and they haven’t proven they can handle these characters. Venom looks so so but yea

Here we go with the word "every".

I look at it this way, are we going to get movies of these characters under the Marvel banner? No. Should Sony make their own original films and should comic films in general be reduced if fans want to be abrasive? Yes.

If something's happening might as well discuss it in some fashion if warrants one's attention for a prolonged period of time. Maybe these forums now need a discussion area (for actual discussion whether it be good or bad) and a lobbying area (where fans can chant and sign signatures if want then forum moderators can send to Sony).

Last edited:
Well if you feel like most people are complaining then make a positive Sony spin off thread. Most of the people here were giving a good opinion and discussing. Didn’t even see a whole lot of bashing. Like I told someone else it’s ok to be skeptical. Sony almost ruined the brand so of course they have a right to worry about where they are taking thee characters

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"