Supergirl Silver Banshee's Thread of Irish Mysticism

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
image.php.jpg

We didn't have one for this villain, and I think she deserves one....so here you can talk about the villain, the actresses who have played her and those you would like to see play her in the future.....

Here ya go....

If this show ever wanted to bring back Silver Banshee and they couldn't get Italia Ricci because of Designated Survivor, they could replace her with Shiri Appleby. They have a similar appearance, although Italia has a nicer voice and prettier look. However, that wouldn't really matter because if she is hidden under all the makeup then it would be harder to tell, and the slight change in voice to something a bit harsher can be attributed to the Banshee transformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends how long Designated Survivor lasts... TBH, not sure I can see it going for long

If this show ever wanted to bring back Silver Banshee and they couldn't get Italia Ricci because of Designated Survivor, they could replace her with Shiri Appleby. They have a similar appearance, although Italia has a nicer voice and prettier look. However, that wouldn't really matter because if she is hidden under all the makeup then it would be harder to tell, and the slight change in voice to something a bit harsher can be attributed to the Banshee transformation.

They have to do some major work on Silver Banshee before bringing her back....like, I don't know....making her an actual plausible villain that doesn't look like a cheap Halloween costume, with a bad make up job.

Not a bad idea as a Silver Banshee recasting would be in the same vein as Allura.

The four episodes after the holiday hiatus are the following - Legion of Superheroes, Fort Rozz, For Good, and Both Sides Now. There must be something connecting these four episodes.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea as a Silver Banshee recasting would be in the same vein as Allura.

The four episodes after the holiday hiatus are the following - Legion of Superheroes, Fort Rozz, For Good, and Both Sides Now. There must be something connecting these four episodes.

Oh, I'm sure there is....I have never thought that the long hiatus between Ep. 13 and 14 was a last minute decision, I think it has been the plan all along. I have a feeling that "Both Sides Now" is going to have another dozzie of a cliff hanger... *sighs* sucks to have to wait 9 weeks, but hey..... I'm good for having 10 uninterrupted eps to the finale for sure. :yay:

Yeah, if they can recast Alura, young Kara, and young Alex, that shouldn't be a problem. Gotham is already on their 3rd Poison Ivy.

They have to do some major work on Silver Banshee before bringing her back....like, I don't know....making her an actual plausible villain that doesn't look like a cheap Halloween costume, with a bad make up job.

I thought Silver Banshee looked great. Fantastic make-up job. Very true to the comic books. A bad place of a lot better than the Smallville version. I don't know what anyone could do to have made her look any better.

To each their own....it looked like Halloween make up to me. It didn't look like she had transformed, and the fact that it was said to be a make up job definitely didn't help. If you are going to do a multi episode lead up to a villain, you don't do a Halloween make up job on her, nor do you have her break a 2x2 as she enters the room to make her seem scarier than she actually was.... It was laugh worthy.

Oh yeah Silver Banshee looked awful, imo. I really think a lot of the bad make-up/prosthetics in S1 came down to the fact that Supergirl's LA crew back then was primarily a CBS-based bunch, and they simply didn't have a lot of experience with genre fare like this (aliens, cyborgs, etc). Blood and gore are more their areas of expertise - creature creations, not so much. The Vancouver CW crew may have smaller budgets, but they are FAR more versed in this...well, 'verse.

And remember when she steps out after Livewire introduces her and she breaks through that 2x2 and jumps down about a foot like it was supposed to be a big board she breaks thorugh and a big drop and she's bad ash.....? LMAO......it was cringeworthy....

What 2x2 are you talking about? What is that? :huh:

The best thing about Banshee was her scream effect. Something the SG team should've passed onto the Arrow techs.

To each their own....it looked like Halloween make up to me. It didn't look like she had transformed, and the fact that it was said to be a make up job definitely didn't help. If you are going to do a multi episode lead up to a villain, you don't do a Halloween make up job on her, nor do you have her break a 2x2 as she enters the room to make her seem scarier than she actually was.... It was laugh worthy.

What's wrong with prosthetics and make-up? Was she supposed to be CGI? Wear a mask? How else were they supposed to make her look like she did in the comic books? For years they used prosthetics and make up to create characters on TV
and in the movies and because it is Supergirl, suddenly it is a problem? I still think they did a damn good job in capturing the look of the character from the comic books. Yes, to each their own, I loved it.

Well tbh they left it vague as to whether or not she actually transformed into the Silver Banshee or if she put her own make up on. But both look equally ridiculous Wouk the results. Ridiculous as a transformation because it looks like a Halloween costume and if she did put the makeup on then it’s wuite ridiculous to think she did that too. She looked awful imo no matter how it’s spun.

Well tbh they left it vague as to whether or not she actually transformed into the Silver Banshee or if she put her own make up on. But both look equally ridiculous Wouk the results. Ridiculous as a transformation because it looks like a Halloween costume and if she did put the makeup on then it’s wuite ridiculous to think she did that too. She looked awful imo no matter how it’s spun.

So let me ask all of you this. How would you have made her look better? What would you have liked to see the character look like? What techniques should have been used?

Given her a better costume for starters and probably have her eyes completely white and make all the blacks REALLY black. Lighting would also play a huge part in how it all comes off.

Given her a better costume for starters and probably have her eyes completely white and make all the blacks REALLY black. Lighting would also play a huge part in how it all comes off.

So basically that was the only complaint about the make-up, the blacks weren't black enough and the whites weren't white enough? Seems like a rather minor quibble. What would you have done to improve the costume? It's not like it was a movie where they had millions of dollars to spend on a costume. They came as close as they could to making the costume comic book accurate. As some of the scenes were filmed outside in the daylight, how much control did they have in the lighting? Should everything have been filmed at night so we could barely see the characters?

colour-sb.jpg

Millions weren't needed to improve on Silver Banshee.....

The coloring wasn't that big of a problem for me, the fact that it looked like she got in front of a mirror, bought some Halloween make up and put it on? THAT is what the problem was for me. But, I do see where some didn't like the muted look of it.

Heck this Cosplay looks better than what they did on the series, IMHO.

image.php5.jpg

Last edited:
What is a 1x4? What are these dimensions everyone's talking about? :huh:

measurements of wood.

2x4 is a piece of wood that is 2" in thickness and 4" in width and so goes a 2x2, 1x2, etc.

So basically that was the only complaint about the make-up, the blacks weren't black enough and the whites weren't white enough? Seems like a rather minor quibble. What would you have done to improve the costume? It's not like it was a movie where they had millions of dollars to spend on a costume. They came as close as they could to making the costume comic book accurate. As some of the scenes were filmed outside in the daylight, how much control did they have in the lighting? Should everything have been filmed at night so we could barely see the characters?

colour-sb.jpg

There's nothing "millions" about the character. Even the movie costumes dont cost millions. Give her a solid black and white design.

As far as lighting, that is something they do control because they decide when and where to shoot. Filming outside of broad daylight would help them hide imperfections.

I don't know what anyone could do to have made her look any better.

I guess the complaint is that the death/skull motif didn’t look sufficiently “organic” in terms of the supernatural origins of the character. By comparison, the corpses on The Walking Dead (or, heck, even Beetljuice :word:) seem more “realistic.” Alternatively, if the makeup is just a disguise (not a supernatural transformation), then it conjures an image of Banshee spending much time in front of the mirror - applying face paint, inserting contact lenses, etc. :shrug:

measurements of wood.

2x4 is a piece of wood that is 2" in thickness and 4" in width and so goes a 2x2, 1x2, etc.

Ok I see. Why didn't you say wood before? lol

And I do think that the Silver Banshee makeup looked too Halloween costume-like.

5725636-silverbansheesupergirl.jpg

I guess the complaint is that the death/skull motif didn’t look sufficiently “organic” in terms of the supernatural origins of the character. By comparison, the corpses on The Walking Dead (or, heck, even Beetljuice :word:) seem more “realistic.” Alternatively, if the makeup is just a disguise (not a supernatural transformation), then it conjures an image of Banshee spending much time in front of the mirror - applying face paint, inserting contact lenses, etc. :shrug:

Yes, probably not organic enough. It looked like she just went and painted her face that way and found a costume to put on. When she was having those flashes before, it looked more like it was something within her that was going to possess her and take over her appearance as well. Instead it was more like she just decided to put on some scary make up just because.

I sort of got the idea that it was Livewire who applied the make-up. In one scene Liverwire tells Siobhan "Not in that outfit. You need a make-over". So if it was just make-up it would be understandable that it just looked like make-up,
something someone doing cosplay would do.
I guess I just don't understand the need to nit-pick everything to death instead of just having fun. So it isn't Oscar winning Suicide Squad hair and make-up. We got the idea who she was supposed to be. It's not like they didn't make an effort.
From what I read Italia Ricci spent several hours a day in make-up.
I guess I just like watching the Supergirl TV show more than most people. At time I just feel like giving up on the internet because all the negativity is so damn depressing. Guess I was expecting more on a board that has a Supergirl thread.
I probably should delete this bookmark because honestly this whole site sucks. Just a bunch of whiners and complainers on almost every thread for every show and movie.
Oh well.

colour-sb.jpg

That doesn't look like this:

silver-banshee-pic.jpg

And while we're on the subject of Italia Ricci, here are some other pics of her:

Italia-Ricci-Feet-2142684.jpg

Italia-Ricci-Feet-2142673.jpg

Up, up and away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"