Supergirl Silver Banshee's Thread of Irish Mysticism

What's wrong with prosthetics and make-up? Was she supposed to be CGI? Wear a mask? How else were they supposed to make her look like she did in the comic books? For years they used prosthetics and make up to create characters on TV
and in the movies and because it is Supergirl, suddenly it is a problem? I still think they did a damn good job in capturing the look of the character from the comic books. Yes, to each their own, I loved it.

I don't believe any prosthetics were used, which YES, was one of the problems.

And I'm not sure what the "suddenly it is a problem" came from....people have been complaining about this or that character and how they look for years. "Because it is Supergirl?" That is silly.....

I guess the complaint is that the death/skull motif didn’t look sufficiently “organic” in terms of the supernatural origins of the character. By comparison, the corpses on The Walking Dead (or, heck, even Beetljuice :word:) seem more “realistic.” Alternatively, if the makeup is just a disguise (not a supernatural transformation), then it conjures an image of Banshee spending much time in front of the mirror - applying face paint, inserting contact lenses, etc. :shrug:

Bingo....

Thanks for creating this thread Kelly.

On the subject of the title, if Silver Banshee is Irish, why did they get such an Italian actress to play her? Italia Ricci is about as Italian a name as they come.

Now I like Ricci and am all for her to return, but if they did want to recast and make her more faithful, then maybe they could go in a completely different direction with someone more Irish? I don't know who though.

But if they wanted someone similar to Ricci for continuity, then maybe Shiri Appleby (of Roswell fame):

shiri-appleby-environmental-media-association-awards-2016-in-los-angeles-1.jpg

There's almost a 10 year gap between those two and she is suppose to be Kara's age. Sherri looks good but I dont know if she can pass for like a 25 year old.

Bingo....

The thing about comic book art is that it’s often highly stylized (and specific to its medium). So with Banshee’s face, there’s a general impression of an emaciated, “death motif” - dark/sunken eyes and cheeks, partially exposed teeth, etc. But we tend not to fret over the details or wonder how this would look in live action. Nor should we! Just enjoy the stylization in its native format. :cwink: But moviemakers do have to think about the live action equivalent. E.g., would it be a thin, bony (but more-or-less human) face; an actual skull (a la Ghost Rider); or face paint/make-up on a normal face? And when going from one medium to another, an interpretation often works better than a strict duplication. Unfortunately, Supergirl used the latter approach with Banshee.

There's almost a 10 year gap between those two and she is suppose to be Kara's age. Sherri looks good but I dont know if she can pass for like a 25 year old.

She would be playing Silver Banshee under all the makeup, so it wouldn't really matter. How would you be able to tell how old anyone is under that?

And as for if she did change back to normal, they could always say that the use of the powers took its toll on her and made her age. Of course, this would be easier if it were a physical transformation. Then if she turned back into Siobbhan, she would be shocked to see that she's aged 10 years. It could be something they write into the plot.

Even without a physical transformation, they could still use that. Italia looks similar enough to Sheri too.

Well yeah if you go out of your way to explain why she has aged anything could work.

So let me ask all of you this. How would you have made her look better? What would you have liked to see the character look like? What techniques should have been used?

Well if they didn't have the budget to do her justice then they shouldn't have done her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"