SILVER SURFER/ Lawrence Fishburne, Doug Jones Discussion Thread

By all acounts the first F4 movie was average. An enjoyable movie that made enough money to merit a sequel, but that's about it.

From where we stand now, it doesn't look like the beginnings of a 10 movie decade-spanning franchise. There is simply no benefit in "saving" the best storylines for future movies. We need to swing for the fences in order to ensure that there are future movies after #2.

I hear the people who say that Galactus/Silver Surfer would make any future sequel feel like a letdown, but I think that's a bridge that should be crossed when we get there. Maybe an invasion of 1,000's of skrulls could wow us at that point. Who knows.

I don't want to see Galactus in #2 because the budget isn't high enough yet. Give us a return of Doom plus whatever generic villain you want (Mole Man or Puppet Master) and plant some obvious seeds for the coming of the Surfer. Maybe even show him at the end of the movie. Give the fans two years to get hyped up in the interem, and make a killing with the 3rd movie.

This franchise, if done right, has the potential to out-do Spiderman in merchandise sales. Focusing on the outerspace/sci-fi element of F4 (which is pretty much unique to them) can capture the imagination of kids all over.

Come on guys, make us some money!

Me personally since the first film went into production i've always wanted the skrulls to be in the second movie. I think it would take the franchicse into the direction it should go i.e sci fi adventure.

Then I think galactus will make a great villain for the third as three seems to be the standard number that these franchises go upto.

If they intend to use the Watcher for the Surfer/Galactus storyline (and he is fairly integral to it) then they need to find a way to introduce him beforehand as well. We need to see him "not getting involved" in some other dire situation so that when he actually breaks his oath of non-interference to help the FF save the Earth it will really mean something.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Surfer's origin as a prologue to the opening of FF2 or FF3, the remainder of the film concerning some other menace (Skrulls get my vote) then show the Watcher detecting the Surfer entering our solar system at the close of the film.. Having the Skrulls or another cosmic menace as the chief antagonists would also provide opportunity for Reed to discover the existence of the Watcher...

I guess we're all on the same page then that Sci-fi is the way to go. The skrulls would be fantastic for film #2. They would leave Story with a lot of possibilities for realization, since they don't have a rabid fanbase that would be upset about a uniform or skin texture change, and they would be completely different from what we're used to seeing in a superhero movie.

Moleman and Puppet Master are very similar to other characters who have been brought to life on screen, and would require more brilliance from Story to appear exciting (though I don't really mind either of them as 1/3 of the movie, with Doom being the 2nd third and seed plantings for the Surfer being the last).

I am all for the Surfer being in the [next?] FF movie, but PLEASE leave his origin out of it! He should be introduced just like they did in the comics.

I still remember how disappointing Stan's origin of the Surfer was in '68. It was clearly 180 degrees opposite from what Jack Kirby had in mind when he created the Surfer [Surfer is the only Marvel character that Stan has admitted he did not create] and was one of the MAJOR reasons that Kirby left Marvel a few years later.

The SILVER SURFER graphic novel from the '70's is closer to what Jack had in mind. They can save all that Zen-La crap for the Surfer solo movie.

From the front page:
Variety reports that Marvel's Silver Surfer is on course to become a linchpin in Fantastic Four 2, which 20th Century Fox is readying for a July 4, 2007 release.

The character has evolved into one of Marvel's more sophisticated comic book heroes. A Surfer feature has been in Fox's arsenal for a decade, but the studio waited because the project is so ambitiously f/x-heavy and Fox has been busy with other Marvel franchises.

The wait ends with "FF2." The storyline is being finalized, with the studio about to choose between a script by X2: X-Men United scribe Mark Frost and another by Don Payne, who scripted Fox/New Regency's My Super-Ex Girlfriend.

According to the trade, Payne's script is the frontrunner and includes the Surfer.

I personally think they should hold out and not do Surfer yet. Just think it's too early on the FF characters themselves. And a SS movie first would be good to do beforehand inbetween FF2 and 3. That and he wrote Super Ex-Girlfriend:o

I think SS should be in FF3 as well. The Galactus story would be a nice epic way to close the trilogy.

I cannot wait till they do a Silver Surfer! Yes!! Go for it!! This is what we need!!!!!! 2007!!! Couldnt be sooner! Are you kidding? if they kick off Silver Surfer in his own movie this could be a 2010 release or something. Maybe we could see Silver Surfer in FF2 and then have a spin off. That would be great- amazing! Just like whats happening with the Xmen franchise of movies. They might have two spin offs! Daredevil had one!

The Silver Surfer has always been a very interesting and amazing charector. He is not like a run of the mill charector like Electra, and is not one dimensional at all. I think this is the time go to for broke. This would at least make the FF movie much more anticipated then if it would have just been the Mole Man, or another Doom story. To make the sequal appealing they need to get our attention cause the first movie was kind of corny.:doom:

Wow! Silver Surfer would be amazing to see i'm just still scared this team(writer and director) won't do it just on film.

^^SS and Galactus go hand in hand, so i assume he's in.
It's funny that casting call with Silver Surfer from a few months ago was supposedly fake but now it turns out to be true.

Production Title: Fantastic Four 2
Submit by: June 1, 2006
Union: Both
Sex: Both
Pay: Yes

Fantastic Four 2
Producer: Avi Arad, Stan Lee

Start Date June 2006
Year of Release: 2007

"DO NOT REPOST IN FORUMS"

Casting is now in process we are looking for many different "TYPES" if you are interested in Auditioning please contact productionfor more instructions on how to submit your headshot and resume

The Fantastic Four will battle Silver Surfer and his planet-eating master Galactus.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=3822

**** yes. :up:

galactus.jpg

Anyone remember my old idea for the Galactus setup for a sequel?

I really think that SS and Galactus should be in FF3... I'd love to see them, but I want them to develop the team more before they jump in with too many characters

Weapon M said:
I cannot wait till they do a Silver Surfer! Yes!! Go for it!! This is what we need!!!!!! 2007!!! Couldnt be sooner! Are you kidding? if they kick off Silver Surfer in his own movie this could be a 2010 release or something. Maybe we could see Silver Surfer in FF2 and then have a spin off. That would be great- amazing! Just like whats happening with the Xmen franchise of movies. They might have two spin offs! Daredevil had one!

K. Let's rush everything:o

I'm not sure about this,on one hand the cool factor of seeing Surfer onscreen is obvious but as mentioned the F4 need time themselves to develop further before adding in a character that will not only take up a big chunk of the SFX budget but who also needs plenty of story time

I wonder if Fox considering this is more to do with wanting to get the character established with the mainstream in order to get the Silver Surfer movie out as quick as possible and add another franchise to their list

silver surfer I like, but I always wanted to see him in his own movie, but my worry is if they will not do the character justice if they decide to go ahead with him in FF2

I dunno i still think its too early for the surfer to be in it. I always thought it would make a cool end to a trillogy. For me if they went this route it'd be hard to top it for a next sequel.

I stand by my statement that Skrulls should be in the second one.

hunter rider said:
I'm not sure about this,on one hand the cool factor of seeing Surfer onscreen is obvious but as mentioned the F4 need time themselves to develop further before adding in a character that will not only take up a big chunk of the SFX budget but who also needs plenty of story time

I wonder if Fox considering this is more to do with wanting to get the character established with the mainstream in order to get the Silver Surfer movie out as quick as possible and add another franchise to their list

Yeah, exactly. Throwing Surfer in there when even the FF aren't established as "super heroes" is moving a bit too fast. And...you got to finish off the story with Doom. which I'm sure the other script has. But throwing Surfer in there seems like alot to do. Introducing him at the end of FF2 as a cliffhanger owuld be the best thing to do. Or just have his own origin movie first then have a corssover. Which is seemed to me was always Fox's plans.

I had more to add to this...but I'm too ****ing tired. I'll space out my points

zer00 said:
Yeah, exactly. Throwing Surfer in there when even the FF aren't established as "super heroes" is moving a bit too fast. And...you got to finish off the story with Doom. which I'm sure the other script has. But throwing Surfer in there seems like alot to do. Introducing him at the end of FF2 as a cliffhanger owuld be the best thing to do. Or just have his own origin movie first then have a corssover. Which is seemed to me was always Fox's plans.

I had more to add to this...but I'm too ****ing tired. I'll space out my points

Yeah i figured the sequel would be a chance to show Latveria and evolve Doom further while establishing the F4 as heroes a lot more

The cliffhanger idea works best IMO,just show a shot of earth and have the camera pan around so we can see whose POV we are looking from,this reveal SS floating above earth,hold a few seconds and then have him zoom into camera and cut to credits

Cliffhanger would work best. A SS movie you'd have to show Galactus...it would make his appearance on earth less....earth shattering.

But coming back to ONE of my original points

Super Ex-Girlfriend

What sort of a spastic sits there with a script from the guy whoe wrote X-Men 2 in one hand, and a script form the guy who wrote My Super Ex-Girlfriend in the other, and goes "Hmmm, I'm not sure..."?

My theory: Fox has to use the Surfer now, or they lose the movie rights. Marvel wants the rights back to as many characters as possible, so they won't go out of their way to renew the deal for Fox. It's probably now or never.

adamcz said:
My theory: Fox has to use the Surfer now, or they lose the movie rights. Marvel wants the rights back to as many characters as possible, so they won't go out of their way to renew the deal for Fox. It's probably now or never.

Marvel wouldn't take back the rights to SS unless they had the rights to FF. They're not stupid. Marvel is still involved with Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"