SILVER SURFER/ Lawrence Fishburne, Doug Jones Discussion Thread

As much as i hate to see the same villian being used over and over like Magneto, Doom needs to be finished in FF2, then SS. I think it may be to much for Doom, SS and Galactus all to be in FF2. I personally don't see Fox shelling out the budget. The positive note is that the actors aren't getting paid a lot. More money is great for FX and it's needed for Ss and galactus. The time frame is also a concern. Fox needs to get this ball rolling now. If FOX gets going then they won't have a balloned budget because of time issues. I don't know guys, it's kind of iffy that this will turn out done right with FOX at the helm.

Well, one thing's certain; If Fox treats The Surfer as poorly as they did Doom, then FF2 will be the last FF movie i ever see.

adamcz said:
I strongly disagree. Marvel needs to keep getting back big name characters, or they'll be forced to rely on Nick Fury and Shang Chi as their source of earnings growth. Remember that as a company, Marvel has to keep outdoing themselves financially to make themselves worthwhile for investors. Shang Chi will simply not get the job done.

If you want proof, you need to look no further than Iron Man and Hulk. Neither of these films were part of the original 10 included in the Paramount deal, but the moment marvel got the rights back, they were jumped right to the top of the list. Marvel wants to use popular characters.

Why would it be stupid to use the Surfer without F4? SS had his own comic book, and has plenty of stories to tell that don't involve the Fantastic Four. It would be nice to tell their most famous story together, but if more money can be made by Marvel making his movie themselves, they'll do it.

Making money is the goal, and nothing else.

I disagree. Several years ago, the mainstream audience had no idea who Blade was, yet that character went on to spawn a very sucessful movie franchise for Marvel, and is, in fact, STILL generating income (or about to be) in the form of a tv series.

No offense meant in any way, but just because you personally can't imagine an interesting idea and script for Shang-Chi, doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who already has.

No offense meant in any way, but just because you personally can't imagine an interesting idea and script for Shang-Chi, doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who already has.
Obviously nobody has, because Shang-Chi was in Marvel's slate for a very long time before Iron Man came into the picture, and yet was pushed to the far back burner. If their Shang-Chi idea was so good that it would spawn a huge franchise, they surely would have went with it. After all, a martial arts flick would be cheaper to make than Iron Man.

Malus said:
SS wouldn't be playing second fiddle to the FF. Remember: The FF's encounter with Silver Surfer and Galactus is how the character was introduced the first place. I think a Surfer movie without that scenario, especially if it never involves Earth, would fall flat. What would audiences latch onto emotionally? Nothing like seeing your home planet threatened with imminent destruction to get the blood pumping...

Um..no need to remind me. I know how Surfer was introduced. And I never said not to involve Earth. I guess you didn't see the Surfer cartoon from a few years back. I thought it gave a great non-FF version of the Surfer which did involve Earth and was one of the best Marvel cartoons ever.
Here is the deal. If Surfer is in a FF movie, it will need to go one of two ways. Either 1) it will show Surfer's origin in flashback form (how cheap would that be), or 2) the film will have to start with Surfer's origin and sacrifice on Zen La, then lead into he and Galactus arriving on Earth and combating the FF. At that point..it may as well be a Surfer movie.

For Surfer's story to be shown in full, it needs to present his origin and seperation from his planet and love, then show his redemption when he turns against his master after encountering Earth. Thats a full arc. If you try and cram that into an FF movie, or even worse, try to do it backwards by showing his redemption in an FF movie and expect a spin-off to cover his origin, it will just not cover the epic scale that a Surfer strory needs. I understand that it would alter the comic version of Surfer's origin...but this is one of those cases where I think it is called for.

The story takes place maybe like a year after FF and they are established. And as Kirby&Ditko said in another thread the movie should open with the FF defeating a lesser villain.

Well my idea for the sequel was to have Reed STILL going over his miscalculations of the cosmic storm...still puzzled to how he was wrong. He discovers something that makes him want to travel to certain area of outer space. Now this would be a perfect idea for the Fantasticar (which I am not a big fan of) which would be more of a spaceship. They get to their destination and blah blah discover Galactus and Surfer doing their deed with a planet and the fight commences somehow. The FF have to return back to Earth but unknowingly are being tailed. Then we have Galactus set his sights on Earth. Reed also discovers that Galactus was responsible for accelerating the cosmic storm that changed their lives. You could also have Doom at the end somehow back to life just silently planning his comeback and maybe at the end he gets some kind of power which makes him more like the comic Doom.

Well there is my sloppy and rough outline of an idea for a sequel.

RedIsNotBlue said:
The story takes place maybe like a year after FF and they are established. And as Kirby&Ditko said in another thread the movie should open with the FF defeating a lesser villain.

Well my idea for the sequel was to have Reed STILL going over his miscalculations of the cosmic storm...still puzzled to how he was wrong. He discovers something that makes him want to travel to certain area of outer space. Now this would be a perfect idea for the Fantasticar (which I am not a big fan of) which would be more of a spaceship. They get to their destination and blah blah discover Galactus and Surfer doing their deed with a planet and the fight commences somehow. The FF have to return back to Earth but unknowingly are being tailed. Then we have Galactus set his sights on Earth. Reed also discovers that Galactus was responsible for accelerating the cosmic storm that changed their lives. You could also have Doom at the end somehow back to life just silently planning his comeback and maybe at the end he gets some kind of power which makes him more like the comic Doom.

Well there is my sloppy and rough outline of an idea for a sequel.

One thing I think is going to happen is, we will only have Doom for one more movie, the sequel apparently. I see possibly Puppetmaster as the lesser villain, and SS toward the end....to be a major player in the 3rd movie....just my thoughts....honestly I am not well versed in the history of the SS and Galactus therefore my thoughts on this subject will be rather dumbfounded and few....LOL

co2 said:
Here is the deal. If Surfer is in a FF movie, it will need to go one of two ways. Either 1) it will show Surfer's origin in flashback form (how cheap would that be), or 2) the film will have to start with Surfer's origin and sacrifice on Zen La, then lead into he and Galactus arriving on Earth and combating the FF. At that point..it may as well be a Surfer movie.

I think they can have it both ways, actually.

We learn of the Surfer's coming, and what it represents, at the end of FF2, setting up Surfer & Galactus for FF3.

But before FF3, we get the Silver Surfer movie, with his proper origin. It could cover his life as Norrin Radd (But I think by 25-30 minutes into it, he needs to be the Surfer) then the untold years he spends finding planets for Galactus to consume, then end the film essentially where FF2 ended, with the Surfer closing in on Earth.

Now if this is true, it's May and they don't even have a script yet? That seems like a problem.

But back in January, we saw reports that they were scouting locations. I'm reasonably certain they'd have at least a rough script in hand before scouting locations.

In February, we saw the casting call which was the first mention of the Surfur (unless you count Tim Story saying that he wanted the Surfer for the sequel which, in itself, could be a clue). When we saw that casting call, it seemed far-fetched with nothing backing it up . . . but now we have some possible confirmation . . . giving more credibility to the casting call . . . but they wouldn't have been casting in Feb. for a film that doesn't even have a script in May.

I'm going to call BS on at least part of this story. I can't believe that they really haven't chosen at least a rough script at this point. After all, we knew last summer that there would be a sequel. With two years to make the film, could they really be so irresponsible that they don't even know which of two scripts they will be using at this point?

It is possible, however, that whoever leaked this was involved in the project back in December, and this is old information dating back to then.

In that case, it's possible that the casting call was legit.

The bottom line is, the two stories that seem to support each other - the casting call and today's story can't both be right.

Malus said:
I think they can have it both ways, actually.

We learn of the Surfer's coming, and what it represents, at the end of FF2, setting up Surfer & Galactus for FF3.

But before FF3, we get the Silver Surfer movie, with his proper origin. It could cover his life as Norrin Radd (But I think by 25-30 minutes into it, he needs to be the Surfer) then the untold years he spends finding planets for Galactus to consume, then end the film essentially where FF2 ended, with the Surfer closing in on Earth.

You hang on to that hope. I honestly think we will be lucky to get that 2nd FF movie (or unlucky, depending on how you feel about the last one). And holding out hope that they will do a Surfer movie between the two so that the FF3 is a sequel to the Surfer movie....in other words, we have to wait until a 3rd FF movie to get the Surfer's whole story arc...well, that's just plain living in fantasy land.

Willie Lumpkin said:
The plot thickens.

I wanted to see exactly what Tim Story said about the Silver Surfer.

In this article: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/2132.asp

He actually says he wants the Surfer for the third film.

Thats what I based my post on....I remembered that article. I figured a nice little introduction at the end of the 2nd movie.

JMAfan said:
Thats what I based my post on....I remembered that article. I figured a nice little introduction at the end of the 2nd movie.

I agree with that,better to use him as a set up at the end for number 3 but if the studio want him and they have the motive i mentioned earlier they will overide Story

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SILVER SURFER IN FF2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS WILL BE BETTER THEN SPIDER-MAN 3 IF IT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SILVER SURFER IS DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND THE COMING OF THE BIG G FOR FF3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im too excited. i also worry like most of you about the film version of Silver Surfer and Galactus. these are characters that if rushed could eaily be ruined. you all thought the dumbing down of Juggernaut was bad? what if Galactus isnt his God-like self also.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Hmmm....

Very mixed feelings about this news...very mixed.

Let's wait and see what actually comes of this...I see no need to have any feelings at all about this w/ the limited information we have.

adamcz said:
I strongly disagree. Marvel needs to keep getting back big name characters, or they'll be forced to rely on Nick Fury and Shang Chi as their source of earnings growth. Remember that as a company, Marvel has to keep outdoing themselves financially to make themselves worthwhile for investors. Shang Chi will simply not get the job done.

If you want proof, you need to look no further than Iron Man and Hulk. Neither of these films were part of the original 10 included in the Paramount deal, but the moment marvel got the rights back, they were jumped right to the top of the list. Marvel wants to use popular characters.

Why would it be stupid to use the Surfer without F4? SS had his own comic book, and has plenty of stories to tell that don't involve the Fantastic Four. It would be nice to tell their most famous story together, but if more money can be made by Marvel making his movie themselves, they'll do it.

Making money is the goal, and nothing else.

You...couldn't be more incorrect:o

Are you guys feeling SS shouldn't be in because you think Fox will give us another chop job of a theatrical cut?

^ I want him to be in the films personally but not the main story. It should be character development for either the SS film or FF3.

RedIsNotBlue said:
Are you guys feeling SS shouldn't be in because you think Fox will give us another chop job of a theatrical cut?

I don't want him in FF2...because I don't think he should be in FF2

RedIsNotBlue said:

If they do the hack job they did before, we can say that w/ any character they bring to the screen...:o The editing HAS TO BE CORRECTED...bottom line for me. My hope is that it will be.:)

I am all for Silver Surfer being in this movie.

I think it will be better for him to be the the sequel than be in his own movie. It will make for a great story and i would prefer the Surfer not in his own movie.

It will be very, very odd to see how The Silver Surfer, Galactus, the "true" Doom, and possibly another villain would co-exist in the same movie.

Odd.

Willie Lumpkin said:
According to YJ1's post here:http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8689270&postcount=267

They have a script and have been doing pre-production for a while.

If that's true then the report that started all this speculation has to be at least partially wrong.

And if it's at least partially wrong, it's probably not worth all the time we're putting into it.

Yeah i said that on the other thread...sort of.....pretty much tells us we really don't know what the hell is going on....

co2 said:
You hang on to that hope. I honestly think we will be lucky to get that 2nd FF movie (or unlucky, depending on how you feel about the last one).

Um..It's in pre-production and starts filming in a few months. :confused:

co2 said:
And holding out hope that they will do a Surfer movie between the two so that the FF3 is a sequel to the Surfer movie....in other words, we have to wait until a 3rd FF movie to get the Surfer's whole story arc...well, that's just plain living in fantasy land.

I'm not holding out hope for that at all, because Fox has never shown that kind of marketing savvy. A Silver Surfer movie in May 2008, followed closely by FF3 w/Surfer & galactus on July 4, 2008... Being sandwiched between two FF blockbusters is probably a Surfer film's best shot at success. There just couldn't be much time between SS & FF3.

I still remember the groans that spread across the theater when Back To The Future II ended on a cliffhanger...and that was only a six-month wait, if I recall...

Malus said:
Um..It's in pre-production and starts filming in a few months. :confused:

Yeah i had a laugh about that as well....somebody missed a big announcement...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"