Superman Returns Singer mentioned that this would vaguely tie in with Smallville, how so???

Anyway back on topic. lois and clark now that was a real superman show. If only we could have a tv series like that plus have supervillians on the show. ...

SpiderDaniel said:
Read my big post on page 5. It shows how it destroys 2 very important characters of the Superman mythos.
I read it and I don't care. I think that Byrne's Man of Steel destroyed things I liked about Superman. Big whoop. Doesn't mean that Man of Steel is any less Superman just because I don't like it.

The only thing Byrne got wrong was making Superman kill the Phantom Zone criminals with kryptonite. THat`s his only mistake, imo. The same mistake was done in Smallville with Clark killing Jonathan...

storyteller said:
Anyway back on topic. lois and clark now that was a real superman show. If only we could have a tv series like that plus have supervillians on the show. ...
I'd go with something down the middle. I wish that Lois and Clark had been greenlit today with big budget shows like Lost, Alias, and others becoming more commonplace. They could give it the budget and better special effects for it to actually be able to focus on Superman. A little bit of Smallville, a bit of the Superboy series, a bit of Lois and Clark, and a bit of the George Reeves show would be great.

THen we agree on something. If Lois and Clark had a budget like Smallville so they could focus more on Superman and had better effects, then it wouldve been more good than it already is.

SpiderDaniel said:
The only thing Byrne got wrong was making Superman kill the Phantom Zone criminals with kryptonite. THat`s his only mistake, imo. The same mistake was done in Smallville with Clark killing Jonathan...
That's your opinion. I think he did far more wrong. But whatever. That's neither here nor there.

SpiderDaniel said:
1-Warned mens that Clark knew if he saved Lana, another person would die.
So Jonathans death is Clarks fault. Clark was willing to sacrifice a lifesource to save Lana. He is willing to kill. This isn`t Superman or never will be. Thats not what happened in Superman the movie or any incarnation of Superman. Jonathans death was of natural causes in every encarnation. In Superman the movie, Jonathans death triggers Superman sense of responsibility with the world. He feels he wants to do more.

And in Smallville, Jonathan's death inspires Clark to be the man "he's always hoped he'd become"...a man Jonathan can be proud of. How is that different?

SpiderDaniel said:
2-Jor-el giving his powers back IN EXCHANGE FOR ANOTHER LIFE SOURCE proves that Jor-el is evil since he is willing to kill someone. In Superman II, Jor-el gives Clarks powers back in exchange for his own life source. THe ultimate sacrfice for the good of mankind.

What good would it do for Jor-El to sacrifice his own life (again) for Clark when he's yet to even begin his "destiny"? He's misguided and Jor-El has to be there for him until he finally understands. Jor-El is not willing to kill someone moreso than he is willing to give up one life for the sake of billions for which Clark/Supes will have to defend. Clark put him in a no win situation.

SpiderDaniel said:
3- In Smallville, Lana deths is Jor-el`s fault. And although Clarks motives for going back to the past were the same as in Superman the movie(LOVE), the results of his actions wasnt.In Superman the movie, in the end, Lois died of natural causes(not because of Clark having his powers back) and Superman altered the course of history by traveling the speed of light to save Lois because of Love.

That doesn't make it right. Regardless of how Lois died in S:TM, Superman was wrong by turning back time to change fate. Superman's decision to turn back time to save Lois was NOT heroic, it was selfish. But I let it slide because I understand that Superman/Clark Kent is not perfect. What Smallville tries to do is emphasize that point across albiet in a more dramatic and contempory sense.

SpiderDaniel said:
Conclusion: Smallville is a ****ty show with poorly-written characters, that does`nt respect Superman as a character and his integrity, ecxept for some rare episodes like Rosetta.

Hopefully Superman Returns will bring back the integrity of Superman in 2 hours since Smallville writers can`t do it every week.

Conclusion: Smallville is a REINVENTION of a classic character...modernized for a new generation of fans that although can be stupid at times, does its best to respect the Superman legend.

Superman Returns will be a great film i'm sure.

1-What is different? Because of a lousy written episode, Clark decided to sacrfice another lifeform to save Lana. HE was willing to kill someone just to save Lana, a death caused by Jor-el. So Clark goes back in time and saves Lana but Jor-el WARNED him that if he saved lana, another person would die, so Jonathan dies making Clark responsible for his Death.

I`m not discussing the fact that Jonathan died. The Kents died in many incarnations of Superman. And i`m not discussing what happened after he died. Clark did become the man Jonathan always hoped for him to be. BUT that doesn`t erase the fact that lousy writers made Superman kill his own dad. And this ruined everything for me.

2-What? Clark doesn`t need Jor-el to become Superman. Jor-el in Smallville is evil, who makes threats, who kills people(ex Lana). He has nothing to offer to Clark. Jonathans was the one who guided Clark to become Superman and he died in a ****ty episode.

And lets not get into the Lana/Clark/Lex relationship `cause thats even more a bastardization of the comics....

SpiderDaniel said:
And lets not get into the Lana/Clark/Lex relationship `cause thats even more a bastardization of the comics....
Well it's a good thing that it's not trying to BE the comics.

How this is a good thing its beyond me...

In the comics, Lana and Clark are best friends, Lana is a very well-written character. Have u ever read Superman for all seasons? Or Action Comics 800?

Now they are making Clark`s rivalry to Lex grow due to the fact they are going to fight over a girl, not because the difference inside, the way they think.

SpiderDaniel said:
How this is a good thing its beyond me...

In the comics, Lana and Clark are best friends, Lana is a very well-written character. Have u ever read Superman for all seasons? Or Action Comics 800?

Now they are making Clark`s rivalry to Lex grow due to the fact they are going to fight over a girl, not because the difference inside, the way they think.
Yes. They are re-inventing the motivations behind the characters. You don't have to like it. You don't have to think it's good. You always have your comics to fall back on. Smallville isn't getting rid of those issues you already have.

When they reivent their motivations, they kill the characters. It`s not their characters. THank God singer has respect over the mythos and will get the character of Superman more right than 2 stupid producers did in 5 years.

SpiderDaniel said:
When they reivent their motivations, they kill the characters.
Love the melodrama, don't you? Seems for someone who has such a predisposition for melodrama that Smallville would be right up your alley.

SpiderDaniel said:
It`s not their characters.
Not exactly. It's not their comic characters. And they never were going to be their comic characters. Don't like it? Don't watch the show.

SpiderDaniel said:
THank God singer has respect over the mythos and will get the character of Superman more right than 2 stupid producers did in 5 years.
I'm sure there are many out there who will disagree with you on this point.

Smallville got the characters right in some episodes. But its tiring to wait for 24 episodes every season and they get it right only in 5. Its not as good as it can be.

SpiderDaniel said:
Smallville got the characters right in some episodes. But its tiring to wait for 24 episodes every season and they get it right only in 5. Its not as good as it can be.
I wholeheartedly agree. That's why I don't watch it much. And neither should you.

Smallville is good for what it is, the first season was closer to what I hoped it would be. I watch it about 4-5 times a season, only if I find out about an episode that might be worth watching, such as the Aquaman episode.

Showtime029 said:
Smallville is good for what it is, the first season was closer to what I hoped it would be. I watch it about 4-5 times a season, only if I find out about an episode that might be worth watching, such as the Aquaman episode.

Co-sign

I'm a Smallville fan but the show needs to end soon as there are so many filler episodes within a season and only 1-3 max episodes stand out. Season 1-3 were the best after that meh.

Personally I would have approached it much differently. I would have played more against Clark's feeling of being an alien among the people and made him rely more on his parents for guidance.

well i watch smallvile alot, but my problem with smallville is over time the dumb Kryto freaks, the long drawn on relationships, the god-like abilities of Jor-el, and it just goes on. Smallville tries its best to keep the chaarcters in smallville. Tom welling does a good clark Kent, but I look at Dean cains Clark kent as the guy i would be friends with. I mean Cains kent played basketball, went on dates, and just did normal things a man in his 20s would do.

I think the problem is that they should be forcusing more on Lex and Clark, rather than pushing this "Kryptonite Villian" in each and every episode.

I actually think that they would have been better served with Clark using his powers to prevent more natural disasters and everyday type crimes while in Smallville.

SpiderDaniel said:
When they reivent their motivations, they kill the characters. It`s not their characters. THank God singer has respect over the mythos and will get the character of Superman more right than 2 stupid producers did in 5 years.
How is giving Lois Lane a child out of wedlock respectful to the mythos? (Not that I have a problem with it cause I don't, its nice when certain producers and/or directors think OUTSIDE THE BOX while still remaining true to the character)

And in addition, some of SV "re-inventions" have been for the better i.e. the SV reasoning as to why Lex Luthor would want to rival Superman in the future is a far more 3-dimensional and intriguing perspective than that of the comics.

Then again Lex knowing Clark in Smallville for this long is a trap unto itself. Its kinda impossible to believe he wouldnt recognize Clark as Superman in the bluelights.....unless hes a dimwit..

But hes supposed to be the world's greatest genious... hmm

I think the comic writers are very smart men overall, they tend to retcon certain things for a reason.

As far as Lois goes for SR, it all depends on how its executed, we will have to see. Alot of SV's liberties are usually executed poorly; Lana the magic witch, the kryptofreaks etc...

I do agree with Showtime that the show had potential in early season one. The pilot is probably my favorite episode of Smallville.

Crisis Superman said:
Then again Lex knowing Clark in Smallville for this long is a trap unto itself. Its kinda impossible to believe he wouldnt recognize Clark as Superman in the bluelights.....unless hes a dimwit..

Well, come on, his "disguise" is inherently ridiculous. I mean, Lois Lane, ace reporter, can't figure out that Clark Kent and Superman are one and the same because of a pair of glasses?

Its more than just a pair of glasses as SR will demonstrate. Its a whole different set of mannerisms and personalty which it looks like Singer is trying to make clear between Kal-El's 3 identities.

It wouldnt work on SV though as Lois knows Clark and his real personality extremely well at this point. He couldnt wear the disguise and pretend to be a nerd as a disguise with her anymore....bringing Lois in this early was a big mistake.

Crisis Superman said:
Its more than just a pair of glasses as SR will demonstrate. Its a whole different set of mannerisms and personalty which it looks like Singer is trying to make clear between Kal-El's 3 identities.

It wouldnt work on SV though as Lois knows Clark and his real personality extremely well at this point. He couldnt wear the disguise and pretend to be a nerd as a disguise with her anymore....bringing Lois in this early was a big mistake.

That wouldn't work period. Ever. Suspension...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"