Singers Vision Of Xmen 3?

Discussion in 'X-Men 1, 2 & 3' started by boywonder13, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Jan Irisi Registered

Oh, I was just correcting the "script was complete" part. It wasn't.

2. bosef982 Registered

You're not countering her point. Skulroos stated that Logan was the most inriguing character cinematically for the films -- he had the most potential to resonate with the audience.

3. bosef982 Registered

True, true.

4. Octoberist point blank

(sobbing) Gambit where are you?

I rather not create this war between Ratner and Singer, since we're on the same boat. Let's get along.

I felt that Singer's version would of been more...thoughtout. Ratner's (along with the writers) had to re-write the script several times during the late pre-production. I'm not saying that Ratner's story will be bad, b/c I don't what it's all about, but judging from the teaser, there's a lot of things happening at once. Now, that could be good thing...or bad. It depends on the script.

Personally, I would focus onto the Phoenix and drop the 'cure' angle.

5. Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

That's not entirely true. She complained yes. But with good cause--the fan outcry over Storm's portrayal has been larger than any other character cast in these X-Men films. That's a documented fact. None of us have been able to recognize Singer's pseudo-Storm with her weak, mousy "I'm scared but anger helps me survive while I get my ass kicked, strangled, gutpunched, stabbed and thrown down an elevator." The writing, the wigs, the acting, the directing...it's all sucked consistently.

The studio has been listening to the fans over the last 5 years. Halle Berry obviously has been listening too, since she got the brunt of the complaints.

Bryan however, was not, and his stupid proposal to relegate her to a cameo or--worse yet--non-existence in X3 and X4 would've been the ultimate slap in the face for many X-Men and Storm fans everywhere. :o

You can only disrespect your fanbase so much.

6. bosef982 Registered

That's what I'm talking about. It's not Ratner giving it to her, it's the script and that role was penned previous to Ratner signing on as seen in the AICN script.

7. RedIsNotBlue Agree to disagree

I am not saying Logan shouldn't have been the main character. But he was TOO focused on. Storm was a complete mess, Cyclops barely there, and Rogue nothing but a damsel in distress. I just think his large amount of screentime took away from others.

8. bosef982 Registered

Well the fact that her acting sucked is for Halle Berry, not Singer.

Two, I'm an X-Fan and I actually love the concept of Storm. Think it's awesome. Would have expanded her myself. Yet, if she was camoed in X3 it would not have been an ultimate slap, or a slap at all, in my face. WHat does that say?

I'm not a fan. Now you're outline prerequisites for who is and who is not a fan.

9. VincenFilmerset Registered

Google can be our friend ;)

Maze.
    http://www.countingdown.com/features?feature_id=3709839

10. Octoberist point blank

I'm glad that they are developing Storm, but I don't want it to be the Halle Berry Movie. I hope that they realize that.

Cyclops is getting a harsh treatment from the filmakers in X3 (from what we know). He's always been the one that was way underdevloped, moreso than Storm. Sure, he shined in X1, but now he's getting killed off (maybe) while HIS DARN girlfriend is on the loose?

There so many Storm fans here. THere's nothing wrong with that. That's why I was upset a while back b/c nobody was too vocal on Cyclops. It's like a "Crap happens" attitude taht I hated. With the Storm fans, it's like "Poor Cyclops, but our Stomr is becoming a leader".

Great to know...

11. bosef982 Registered

Oh yes, it most certainly did. However, remember the focus we had on Xavier and Magneto especially. The thing with Singer's films are they can be too subtle sometimes and I think alot of people miss the small character scenes in there. Oh well, what can you do?

I'm just saying, we have to ask ourselves a few questions while realizing a few things:

No X-Man film can successfully focus on all X-Men, or a large deal of them, and be at the same time a good piece of character/plot developed cinema. Can't happen. All ensemble pieces concentrate or anchor the piece done in a few core characters. Now, hopefully, X3 does this, if it doesn't however -- the movie will fail and be nothing more than action.

So, knowing this, who are the characters that have the best history to do the following:

1) open up the struggle of being a mutant?
    2) explicate the consequences of being a mutant?
    3) introduce and represent and harmonize with the conflict and philosophies between human and mutants?
    4) posses enough room for a character arc that would mimic those philosophical concepts and ideas?
    5) be fiscally doable on screen?
    6) have the most startling impact on all other ensemble characters and produce the most conflict in the situations around them?

WHat I've outlined above are typical criteria one considers when crafting a movie. It's always about the conflict and the themes and the represenations. Going through those, I can see why Singer saw Magneto, Mystique, Logan, and Rogue as ideal frontstage characters, and in the second movie Nightcrawler.

12. skruloos Registered

Not just that though. Sure, Singer connected but there's a reason for that. And because he's obviously the biggest draw for the studio as a character. Sad? Yes since I'm not a huge Wolverine fan at all. It's not like the studio is going to say, "Give the most popular guy less screentime."

13. RedIsNotBlue Agree to disagree

Oh yeah. Forgot the franchise is at Fox. :o

14. skruloos Registered

Which is great for me since I've never been a Storm fan and Berry playing her just made things worse.

15. Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

I appreciate and respect the fact that you support Bryan Singer. He deserves major credit for the many things he accomplished with this franchise. But he is not getting a free pass from me regarding this subject. Excuses are N/A.

Even if Halle Berry was miscast it was due to the fact that Bryan didn't understand the character. Bryan screened her. Bryan hired her in the first place. Bryan (and his team) wrote the characterization. Bryan (and his team) costumed her. Bryan directed her. This was all Bryan's vision for "Storm". It was Bryan who would've left the character a mess by dropping her in X3 and X4.

So at the end of the day Bryan ****ed the character of Storm up. Halle is not exempt from responsibility, but the process started and ended with Bryan. For me, the case closed.

Don't get me started on Cyclops. :cool:

16. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

Yeah, having Storm return in a larger role or a smaller role doesn't matter to me. Halle has been less than spectacular in the scenes she has been in. She better step up her game in this film. Cyclops is getting screwed over again but this time by Ratner, the studio, and the writers.

17. boywonder13 Registered

Dont forget we don't really know what would have happend to Storm in Singers X3 and X4.

Unless we get our hands on the treatment that is..

18. tirminyl Registered

Like stated before, not everyone can have focus in the films unless your name is Wolverine. No one in the first two had personalities except him. It may also be the fact that I never have liked Wolverine because he is extremely overused in the comics. Anyway, I think all the characters can branch off into seperate movies because it will bring other new and fresh characters on the scene.

For this film, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a Wolverine 3. GOD I hate Wolverine. He should have been dead already. He has the weakest healing ability of them all.

19. green fear is the mind killer

You know I guess we'll really see what he thinks of the character of Storm when he takes over Ultimate X-Men...:D

20. Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

I feel your pain. There is nothing more that I'd like to have Storm #2 as a co-leader to Scott. See, I don't think it's neccessary for her to be in a leadership role just to be a presence among the X-Men--good writing and direction can assure that. But what is necessary is that Logan becomes part of the X-Men--and not THE X-Men incarnate. :rolleyes:

The problem is, Cykes and Storm have been messed up so badly that it's going to take a lot of work to get them corrected. Vaporizing Scott will not fix matters (if that happens), and I agree the studio is not handling this correctly (if that happens). It's a waste...James is such a talented, underused actor.

21. Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

22. Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

:p

This time she'll be vaporized in the first issue! :D

23. bosef982 Registered

As usual, I can usually find something we agree on. This is so true.

24. RedIsNotBlue Agree to disagree

I third it.

25. aaron bullet in your face

I fourth it

i remember that guy who reviewed the script for aicn saying that he didnt care about cyclops dying, and that marsden was basically a s*** actor, quote - James Marsden was never a particularly strong actor, and his only legitimate place in the first two films has been as the thorn in Wolverine’s side in acquiring the love of Jean Grey.