Sisterhood: The Relationships Between The Female Characters Of Wonder Woman

KRYPTON INC.

Incorporated Kryptonian
Reaction score
I was talking to my mother who saw the movie and really, really liked it. She thoroughly enjoyed the scenes on the island and the way the story unfolds there with a majority female cast as characters that are women discuss matters important to and pertaining to them.

This got me thinking, the female relationships and interactions are a large part of the film. SO... What did everyone take away from these interactions? What stood out? How do you see some of these relationships expanding going forward? Was there enough of these relationships or did they need more meat on their bones? I especially would like to hear from female Hypesters as this film gets into some areas you don't see in tent pole blockbuster films often, if at all really.

I for one will always be thankful that they took the chance to take the gods and Zeus off the board. This allowed the relationship Diana has with Hippolyta and Antiope to take center stage at the start. Diana in a way had two mommies... Except in many ways one ws a daddy (Antiope) but I digress... Still you don't see the relationship between mothers and daughters in these sort of films too often and not one that is in any way earnest but also fraught with the tension that Hippolyta brought with her in her relationship with Diana.

This wasn't a dysfunctional or negative relationship but they got some dramatic juice out of it anyway. I have to ask the female hypesters out there how they felt about the daughter/mother dynamic and how it played out in this film? Ring true, false, do wish it had gone into another area?

I'm sad we aren't going to see more Etta, the way she blocked the alley with the sword! No jealousies, no rivalries!

The best line in the whole movie was 'You have been the love of my life', just perfect. A beautiful subversion.

Of course speaking of sisterhood we are missing a very obvious sister, Donna Troy with no obvious way of including her.

I'm sad we aren't going to see more Etta, the way she blocked the alley with the sword! No jealousies, no rivalries!

The best line in the whole movie was 'You have been the love of my life', just perfect. A beautiful subversion.

Of course speaking of sisterhood we are missing a very obvious sister, Donna Troy with no obvious way of including her.

I am guessing the level of convolution in Donna's backstory from the comics put the kibosh on her making the leap to the big screen.

Perhaps Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis will be introduced in future movies.

I think there's a lot of interest in seeing more of the Amazonian culture, partly because that is an area where we could potentially see a lot of different types of relationships among women.

Once Diana enters the world of mankind, there is understandably a bit of a shift towards how men react to this powerful woman.

I did like Etta, even though her involvement in the story was fairly brief.

I guess a movie in the modern world would be able to combine all of those aspects to some degree: the Amazons, Diana's female friends and colleagues, along with some commentary on women's issues in a male-dominated society.

I guess Etta's great granddaughter could be in the movie. She could talk about stories her nana told her of a Wonder Woman, but just assumed they were fairy tales, and can't believe her eyes they turned out to be true.

I guess Etta's great granddaughter could be in the movie. She could talk about stories her nana told her of a Wonder Woman, but just assumed they were fairy tales, and can't believe her eyes they turned out to be true.

The more I hear about this idea the more I like it. It's a bit of a nod to the old Carter show with the descendant angle and it would be a reminder of the previous film. I actually would get another actress to play the part though. There are lots of great English actresses out there that you could see being a relation to Etta that I say just pick one! Well maybe not that extreme but you could easily find a good fit.

bad place no to Rebel Wilson! ;)

As long as Etta isn't a) like the more femme fatale office worker from the animated movie and b) as long as the granddaughter's name isn't Sugar Candy like Etta's mother.

But she could potentially be African American like the New 52.

They surprisingly didn't have that many sisterhood moments after Diana left the island. Her and Etta didn't really share any solo scenes getting to know one another or leaning on one another.

They surprisingly didn't have that many sisterhood moments after Diana left the island. Her and Etta didn't really share any solo scenes getting to know one another or leaning on one another.

This was a weakness in the script in my eyes. But it's forgivable given the pacing that Jenkins was going for obviously. Still I could have gone for something of Diana taking in the differences of the culture more and her and some female character discussing the lot of women at that time, which actually would be filled with a lot of hope and optimism actually. As Etta noted the movement to greater equality was happening with the voting franchise being a barrier that was going to fall soon. A woman of the time could well have great hope for the future despite the war and the level of female repression in the culture. Diana also was drawn to a small child at one point. She new what a child was obviously but she had never actually been in the presence of one. That too could have been something to discuss about her and her sister's idyllic life on the island as compared to the life on the outside. They have sacrificed something very elemental to human nature however you slice it. That could be an interesting conversation to say the least. And it doesn't have to be all declarative and ham fisted. It could be very low key and effective. You could have had Diana speak to a woman in the village at length, or a frontline nurse. Diana given her accent could simply fall back on a foreign origin and reveal little else. We the audience would know the subtext of what Diana meant with certain phrases or allusions but the woman she's talking to could be oblivious to any deeper meaning to Wonder Woman.

At the same time given the nature of an adventure story set in war time it makes somewhat sense her traveling companions would all be men I suppose. Thus more sceen time with Diana having scenes with only men. Still I hope a sequel has more of Diana with other female characters and I really am rooting to see if they went the route of showing how much she means to women in universe in some way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"