Skinamarink

Boom

I got nothin'
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this? It's an indie horror film coming out this weekend.

As someone who is routinely startled awake at night by shadow people, this hits a bit close to home.

Last edited:
F**ked as in I went to sleep with the lights open that night. lol

It's a great experimental film that might not be for everyone but it really worked for me.

Also the sound design was so good that I almost wanted to throw up because of anticipation.

Saw this trailer in front of CHRISTMAS BLOODY CHRISTMAS and it was so dread inducing, my girlfriend made herself jump, despite there being no actual jump scare in the trailer. It was just that instantly unsettling.

I'll be there this weekend!

Last edited:
So glad I caught this in cinemas. There’s no way it would play at home the way it does on a giant screen.

I showed up with an idea of what to expect. I wasn’t going to get up and pee or look at my watch. I wanted to meet this one halfway.

I’m glad I did. For 100 straight minutes I stared at an abstraction of swirling grain. Sometimes there really were things hidden in that grain, but by the homestretch, I was seeing all kinds of weird **** in all that noise and I legitimately did not know what was there and what I was imagining. You stare at something like that long enough and your brain tries to make sense of it. Add on top of that an oppressive sense of dread. When the lights finally came up, my eyes were swimming with streamers and after images. It took a few moments to adjust. There’s no way this particular effect can be replicated at home.

it’s also uncommonly effective. Legitimately scary, but more than that. There’s a sadness to it, a hopelessness. The repetitive and slow nature of the film unmoors you from your sense of time. I had no idea if it had been 30 minutes or 70, which makes it feel endless and inescapable.

This is the closest I’ve seen a movie come to capturing what a night terror actually feels like.

Last edited:
So happy this is actually showing by me. Made plans to go tomorrow night with some friends, I'm hyped.

I saw this last night and I don't say this lightly (or even humorously which I would otherwise do) but I absolutely hated this. TBH it just pissed me off so, so much.

I understood what the director was going for with this, not that I didn't get it, but the way he filmed it just annoyed me to absolutely no end. The fact that we could barely see or hear anything for the entire duration of the movie was incredibly annoying (and the camera just pointing at walls and empty space for extended amounts of time was just further annoying), and there was basically no story/plot, and by the end nothing really made sense about it either all just served to frustrate me. I also got what the director was going for with the 35mm film-like grain all over it, but I found that to be more of a hindrance than anything else in trying to see what was going on at any point. The pacing was also incredibly slow and I feel like it could've been chopped down to at least 90 minutes if not shorter.

I usually try to find something redeeming about every movie I watch but this was honestly a 0/10 for me. I want my time back so I could've seen something else instead.

update: did not enjoy it. Saw it with a crowd, which was fun, but it just didn't work for me. The concept was very cool, but I felt they never actually did anything interesting with it. For the most part, the only scares were generic jump scares with overblown sound triggers that felt disjointed from the rest of the movie. So while I admired the effort and love to see small movies be hits, this fell far short of the hype for me.

I just don't see how it can work in a theater environment where I heard folks walking out or talking over it.

When I saw it, I saw it alone on my computer screen at night with the lights turned off. Also I guess I didn't have any expectations going in.

I found the trailer and the constant repeating of "in this house" annoying. :funny:

My theater has it but I'm not sure if this is going to be a theater watch for me.

I’m not surprised to be in the minority. It’s one of those movies I really really like a lot but would recommend to almost no one.

08517a8bc736d35391ad5ac8ee56c38572f2f430.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"